Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 23:49

Plan: Power of Protein
Stats: 171/171/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie

Hi all, I am new to this low carb dieting and new to this forum. I have purchased Chris Smiths "Power of Protein" book and have been officially on this now for 4 days. I am finding that it is a little hard going, only having plain meat and a little salad or vegies, however I am very determined to continue with this for the whole 2 weeks of induction.

I was wondering if you have to stick to the induction foods 100% to make this diet work or if some of the recipes in the book are ok during induction??

I have been reading some of the threads and there is obviously a lot more about this form or healthy eating that I need to learn, so any other literature that you can recommend would be appreciated.

thanks
Tanya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 01:22

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default in my humble opinion...

Ok, in my humble opinion you will always lose better and be healthier if you stay close to the induction foods (are they the same as Atkins in your plan?). The cleaner the better, the more good carbs consumed the better. Now, I don't think that means that you have to eat plain meat and veg which can get very very dull. There are a lots of nice recipies you can use that use foods allowed on induction, so i try to use these. Use as many herbs and spices as you can to make life interesting. Personally, I think a lot of people can get away with different types of food consumption than others, its a personal thing.

for example, a personal favourite of mine is lean minced pork, stir fried in some shredded cabbage, garlic, splash of soy sauce, chilli, squeeze of lime juice, fresh corriander and mint. This is induction friendly, and delicious (keep some for lunch next day).

Check out Bubbleboy's spinich quiche - its awsome .. I make one per week and have for lunch with salad or breakfast on the run. Again, induction friendly.

6 eggs beaten with 200ml cream, stir in 250g packet of frozen spinch (drained and thawed), handful of diced bacon, 3/4 cup grated parmesan, 1 cup grated tasty cheese. Bake at 180 degrees for about 55 mins.

I am also quite new at this, but really think you have to be inventive with your meals to stay on the wagon.

Welcome
Luscious
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/175/170 Male 6'3''
BF:
Progress:

Hi, you mentioned wanting to learn more...this is an INCREDIBLE article that literally changed my whole thinking about health, and what and how I eat:
http://mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 02:56

BF:
Progress:

Lucsious, thank you for the two recipes you gave me. Just cooked the pork mince, it was delish. I did not use chilli in it though, as my family are not great fans of chilli. I used a dash of hoisin sauce - now I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I checked the carb level on the label and it was 2.6g per serve.

The spinach quiche is in the oven, so am really looking forward to no cold meat and salad at work tomorrow for lunch.

I was just so very unsure as to whether herbs, spices etc.. could be used, it really doesn't say in the book that I have. I plan to go out and buy Dr Atkins book tomorrow, it seems to be the best one.

Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 03:00

BF:
Progress:

itreeye, thanks for the literature tip. Have had a look and think I might print it out and have a read of it on paper, easier than on the screen.

thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:41

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have the power of protein book as well, but I found it to be a little simplistic. I like to know the why and how.

I would recommend a book called 'Protein Power', which is a little bit more informative than what you have.

Although I eat a lot of meat and veg, I mix up the veges a lot, sometimes I roast them, or stirfry them ect. There are a lot of LC vege choices, make the most of them!! The same with meat, dont be afraid to experiment a little! My favorite recipe is to mix a little ricotta cheese, some roasted pine nuts, garlic blanched baby spinach and bacon together and roll it up in a chicken thigh fillet. Then roll the thigh fillet in a rasher of bacon and roast it in the oven. It never fails to impress and is so easy!! You can modify a lot of recipes to be LC with a little imagination eg lasagne made with spinach leaves instead of pasta and with less tomato is great.

Good luck!!

Jaddles
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:49

BF:
Progress:

I too found that Power of Protein didn't give me the answers I wanted. I purchased Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution yesterday and it is just excellent.

I am right at this minute eating me left over pork mince recipe from Luscious, meat hot wrapped up in a nice fresh cold lettuce leaf - just scrumptious.

Like the sound of the chicken one too, should I wait until after induction to try that one??
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Probably wouldnt hurt to wait until you have finished induction