Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 07:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I watched The Magic Pill and am so happy Pete produced it. The new season of My Kitchen Rules Australia is presently showing, so I see him multiple times a week. Wonderful to know that he's using some of his fame and fortune to spread the good word about food as medicine.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 16:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bluesinger, missed the original post, wanted to wish you the best in this endeavor. I read Amy Berger's book and think that Alzheimer’s is diabetes 3, as they call it in some research circle. Which would mean you are on the right track.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-17-18, 15:51
Doing My Best

Less than one month in and the Study was cancelled today due to liver damage caused by their "cure." Relieved.

In the meantime, I learned about the Bredesen Protocol and got my Health and Ancestry report from 23andme. That link gets me $20 if you sign up. Full disclosure.

What my DNA says is that of the 43 dire diseases they tested, I'm a carrier for NONE. I also have no genetic health risk for Late-onset Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and various other strange diseases. Seems I hit the genetic jackpot and never knew. I gave all the credit to my lifestyle and diet because both my parents had multiple bad and scary health issues.

I'm waiting to learn if the Cleveland Clinic wants me in another study. Meanwhile, my plan is to continue doing what I'm doing, plus I just started testing for blood ketones because I want to eat more for strength so I can run longer distances, but stay in ketosis.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-17-18, 19:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good that they stopped quickly, hopefully you are fine.

Genetics is only a part of the picture. environment is a bigger influence. You have a win-win senerio. yeaaayyyyyy
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-17-18, 19:55
Doing My Best

Yes, as we were still in the screening phase, I got no medications. AND I won the gene lottery. I'm the luckiest person alive, and very grateful.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 15:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I won the gene lottery.

And it couldn't have happened to a nicer person!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 15:33
Doing My Best

Bevangel, thanks. Now we need to keep doing what we can lifestyle-wise and keep sharing what we learn about AD.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 23:06
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I am so pleased and relieved for you!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 06:22
Doing My Best

Saw this quote today in a book I'm reading:

"Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else. - George Orwell"

Meditating on this entire concept, flavored with an old Wayne Dyer quote:
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

He goes on to say:
"The truth of this little maxim is actually found in the field of quantum physics, which, according to some, is a subject that’s not only stranger than you think it is, it’s stranger than you can think. It turns out that at the tiniest subatomic level, the actual act of observing a particle changes the particle. The way we observe these infinitely small building blocks of life is a determining factor in what they ultimately become. If we extend this metaphor to larger and larger particles and begin to see ourselves as particles in a larger body called humanity or even larger—life itself—then it’s not such a huge stretch to imagine that the way we observe the world we live in affects that world."
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 10:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Fascinating stuff Wayne Dyer always said such interesting things

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, May-21-18 at 10:28.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 14:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Meditating on this entire concept, flavored with an old Wayne Dyer quote: "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
And there is also the "Observer effect", first noticed in physics, but probably has an even bigger effect in studies of humans and animals. The fact that someone is observing changes the subjects' behaviour. For instance in diet studies, even the ones who are not being given the new food/substance also lose weight at first, probably because they are "being good" since they know they are being watched.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 15:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

"All experience is preceded by mind
Led by mind,
Made by mind."

The Dhamapada
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 10:11
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
"All experience is preceded by mind
Led by mind,
Made by mind."

The Dhamapada
And my meditations led me to something I posted in my J yesterday:
Quote:
Play the "What If" game with me.

What If what we perceive as diseases of the mind are merely our observation of a person who is living on a different reality plane?

Don't laugh at me. I think about things like this every day.
So let's take that a step further: The AD mind could be the realization of forward human evolution. This requires a paradigm shift on the part of us as observers.

I watched a movie last night wherein the (beautifully played) person was just slipping away, but not yet gone for good. It was an agony. One moment here and bewildered, the next moment his own "self." But so is childbirth an agony. On the other side of the pain is a new person.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 10:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for the postitive outlook you two!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 19:14
Doing My Best

Quote:
Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
Maciej Gasior,a Michael A. Rogawski,a and Adam L. Hartmana,b
Author information ► Copyright and License information ► Disclaimer
The publisher's final edited version of this article is available at Behav Pharmacol

Abstract

The ketogenic diet has been in clinical use for over 80 years, primarily for the symptomatic treatment of epilepsy. A recent clinical study has raised the possibility that exposure to the ketogenic diet may confer long-lasting therapeutic benefits for patients with epilepsy. Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury. This review summarizes the experimental, epidemiological and clinical evidence indicating that the ketogenic diet could have beneficial effects in a broad range of brain disorders characterized by the death of neurons. Although the mechanisms are not yet well defined, it is plausible that neuroprotection results from enhanced neuronal energy reserves, which improve the ability of neurons to resist metabolic challenges, and possibly through other actions including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. As the underlying mechanisms become better understood, it will be possible to develop alternative strategies that produce similar or even improved therapeutic effects without the need for exposure to an unpalatable and unhealthy, high-fat diet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
So the only thing we here on this forum disagree with are the last few words: ".....without the need for exposure to an unpalatable and unhealthy, high-fat diet."

This brings me to the subject of exogenous ketones:"The idea is when you eat something that's not keto-friendly, you can reach for exogenous ketones to keep your body in ketosis. The word exogenous means created externally, and these supplements are forms of the ketone beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), which your body normally creates on its own."

So the question from me is this: If I eat SAD and take exogenous ketones, will I still be protected? Will my aches and pains (currently depressed by ketosis) remain depressed by "artificial" ketosis?

Next time I go off plan, I should do that n=1. Or has it already been tried.