Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 19:57

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default So I put my virtual reading glasses on and read about Anabolic Burst Cycling

and being the cynic that I am, escpecially with muscle magazines, I come to the good people of the CKD forum to discuss it....

heres the link tot he articles for anyone interested ABCDE Anabolic Burst Cycling

WHile reading it I noticed it was an article from 1997, which makes me think that some real real research might have been done since then. Dan Duchaine wrote hte bodyopus book in 96 and lyle improved on that and the CKD diet I know is not drastically different but noticeably different in some respects.

The basic idea that I gathered is 2 week cycles of feast and famine. Over eating for 2 weeks, then restricting calories significantly for 2 weeks. Has anyone tried this or have any info on it? Is it a crock? ANyone tamper with it and try a 2 week over feeding cycle followed by a 2 week CKD cycle? I know the idea of keeping the body fooled by adjusting calorie intake has been touched on several times here.

I don't know beans here really, but the whole cyclical dieting scheme seems to work, CKD did, while this diet isnt LC it still uses the same principles of superrecompensation if I read right. I still didnt get through all the articles, but I am curious what the edumacated peopel here think of it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 21:36

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

This looks interesting Beaver. I'm going to post the link over on Lyles UG and see what he thinks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 23:06

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

Funny you said that haha, I did random searches for "ABCDE diet" and "anabolic Burst Cylcing" and a Lyle FAQ came up...he said it was a load of crap It just cycles sugar and water through your muscles, according to him.

I brought it up with my dad, he always has something to say about all this...he used to lift with mr universe int he 70s blah blah hahaha anyways he said that the guys idea of protien cycling is hte only good thing to come out of it, so I am gonna research that more. 5 pounds of muscle per week is the early claims were on the ABCDE thing, I am guessing it was all water, sugar, and fat, triglycerides in muscle and glycogen, and faaaaat. Who knows, before starting CKD I heard Low carb diets never ever worked and where unhealthy from a lot of people.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 10:06

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Five pounds of muscle in two weeks seems pretty impossible. But most hardcore types care about muscle volume and being lean so as long as they aren't adding fat and the muscles are bigger they would be happy about it right?
I'm tending to agree with Lyle though that as far as diets go it's calories in, calories out for the most part. I happen to feel better when keeping carbs low most of the time, so that's what I've been doing.
I've moved my focus more to exercise and establishing a training discipline, rather than what's the next meal and how many carbs is it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 13:07

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Default Re: So I put my virtual reading glasses on and read about Anabolic Burst Cycling

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaver
The basic idea that I gathered is 2 week cycles of feast and famine. Over eating for 2 weeks, then restricting calories significantly for 2 weeks. Has anyone tried this or have any info on it? Is it a crock? ANyone tamper with it and try a 2 week over feeding cycle followed by a 2 week CKD cycle? I know the idea of keeping the body fooled by adjusting calorie intake has been touched on several times here.

I don't know anything about this diet, but it sounds like the diet from Hell! LOL... I mean, the whole idea of significantly restricting calories makes me tired just thinking about it. I wouldn't mind hearing more about it, though, because it sounds interesting.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:41

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ABCDE

I went through several cycles of ABC when it first came out, and while the concept is good, it didn't translate well in "the real world".

I got modest gains from it, but for all of the hell you go through on it, it wasn't worth it. To me anyway.

I find much more success with bulk-and-cut, but I know that's not for everyone either. I have the fat loss thing down pretty well ... my problem has always been adding muscle. I really really have to work at it, so I need all the advantages I can get in the way of nutritional support.

I feel chunky these days. LOL. But I am stronger in the gym, and my shoulders are very wide these days.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:32

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Default Re: ABCDE

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
I went through several cycles of ABC when it first came out, and while the concept is good, it didn't translate well in "the real world". I got modest gains from it, but for all of the hell you go through on it, it wasn't worth it. To me anyway.

It sounds like it would be like that. What a pain, IMO.

Quote:
I find much more success with bulk-and-cut, but I know that's not for everyone either. I have the fat loss thing down pretty well ... my problem has always been adding muscle. I really really have to work at it, so I need all the advantages I can get in the way of nutritional support.

It sounds more reasonable, but what do you think of the medical community's stance on yo-yo dieting and fat cell gain... you know, how we gain fat and new cells, but only lose the fat IN the cells, therefore leaving the body ripe for regain? I've always wondered about that in relation to intensive workouts and those who are bodybuilding.

Quote:
I feel chunky these days. LOL. But I am stronger in the gym, and my shoulders are very wide these days.

Hey, trade ya! LOL. I've been feeling like dooky lately, and yesterday had a MAJOR crash in energy---couldn't even drag myself in the bathroom to wash my hair!!! Out of my usual 3hr practice I only got in about 45min. I simply couldn't do anymore, period. I slept 11hrs last night and I feel terribly tired still. However, last night before I taught my dance class I ate 3 Atkins muffins (only 9g carbs total for all three...after fiber deduction) and within 30min or so I felt pretty good. But, I crashed again later. Still feel pretty crummy this morning.

I also noticed that I'm showing neutral again on the ketostix. Not that I rely that much on them anymore, but it ALWAYS does that---when I feel really bad, I'm at neutral. More than a coincidence, I think. I don't know what it is, but it sucks!