Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/Kiss
Stats: 160/120/110
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Practical advice :)

I was "BADLY" physically addicted. If I woke up at 2am, no tabacco at hand, I would go out buy regardless of the weather I would hunt a place do anything for tobacco. If my "secret supply" ran out, I used to resort to butts. Butts, I used to break down, and roll again, if i couldn't find a place selling ...
I rolled butts a day or two before I first posted here. I could no longer breath through my nose, I was breathing through my mouth and wheezing.

In the past by this stage going cold-turkey, I was demented. I was climbing walls.

Tried the patch 4-5 times, each time I cheated, found myself doing the patch and smoking. I was running, 3-4miles daily and SMOKING!

That's a bit of my history.
It's two weeks since I started this "research".

Make sure you are stress-free the first day. I have vacation until Monday.
Up your water intake dramatically. Yesterday I did about 5x, my normal quota. (perhaps a lot more, i have no real recall, guessing). (my theory it flushes the body). It really helps. I had started upping it about a week before.

I started cutting out 2 weeks ago all caffeine (12 cups a day), and replaced it at first with decaf, and later with green tea.
Yesterday I was only on green tea and water beverage wise.

Watch your vitamins intake carefully. Up them as you increase water.

I've been watching my food intake carefully the last 4 days because of allergies, cut out all dairy. (I think this has contributed)
Because of the allergies I'm on chicken, eggs, fish, green salads and broccoli and cauliflower. I've been on a strict induction diet for about 3 days, and I LOVE spicy, I had that reduced to "bland" for me (lots of pepper still, salt reduced and only herbs).

Yesterday morning, I couldn't motivate myself to quit. I posted to make myself accountable. Then managed to force myself to shower without breaking down. I drank water, I drank green tea, I flooded myself I kept busy, and drank each time I thought of a cigarette.
I went out 5 minutes walked. I was "high/dizzy" breathing oxygen, scared of stumbling. (still could not breathe through my nose). I had "the shakes" badly. I tried to periodically go out and breathe deeply. Just expand my lungs. Took more of my decongestants, in the afternoon, watched myself closely.

I was hyper, but not craving nicotine, when I finally fell asleep (2am). It was more the "thought", the "oral/sucking addiction".

This morning I was much better. I went out earlier, walked / breathed, etc. I could smell tobacco on myself. A revelation!!! Today I started breathing through my nose. I can look at a pack of cigarettes and not reach out for it, I ignore them. I have the "oral thing" but no desire to smoke.

Good luck!! I hope this helps. I'm not over it, by any means yet, but I'm healing. and have no nicotine cravings. I have other habits to control.

Sorry for the typos etc, still not my normal self
I'm still "damned scared" but "holding" and physically already mending.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 20:05

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default The patch is a good idea

Wa'il,

The time that I quit for 8 months was by using the patch (I stopped using the patch after a month or so). The great thing about them is that when you have them on, you CAN'T smoke. You have no choice in the matter. The will power you need is taking the step to change your patch every morning. Then after a few weeks you think "Why bother having one now".

Just a thought.

Linnea
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry, my post was incoherent, i'll edit it tomorrow
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 00:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

No problem Zellie, I hear you loud and clear! Good luck staying away, you're 2 days ahead of me.

Linea, if the nicorettes don't help, I'll get the patch. It would be my punishment I get off the wagon.

Wa'il
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:33
Forum Founder

Update,

I'm weaning myself down, plan to have the pack I bought last me till end of the month (I usually go a bit over a pack a day), and go cold turkey when the pack is finished, probably around new years. Use nicorettes whenever I get a strong craving, and if they don't work, switch to the patch.

That's my plan for now, and I'm sticking to it.

Wa'il
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default euuuuuwwwwhhhhh....

those Nicorettes gave me such a burning in the gums and tongue but if you can stand them, you go with it!

I 'succeeded' on my fourth full serious committed attempt (I AM a non-smoker, I AM a nonsmoker... a good mantra). The first time I lasted 2 months. The second time I lasted almost a year (then a bad breakup and a party at which I wallowed in self-pity did me in ). The third time my dearest husband-unit (me on Patch, he with great machismo Cold Turkey) started sneaking around in 36 hours max with ciggies in the backyard and I was too cocky and finished the Patch too early (found out I wasn't strong enough yet for that...).

Finally, I used The Patch (and so did he) in full, the whole course and tapered off at the end. I knew I was done with the Patch when I forgot to change it, forgot I needed it and still got through a day or two without MUCH thought about "them".

PS: I, too, used to chew my nails. Had dented nailbeds to prove it and very touchy quicks that tended to bleed.

PPS: I'm a foodie!

Tamarian, dearest Webmaster, you can do it ... I did and that's truly amazing sometimes! 1 year and 26 days and I feel just fabulously fine, thank you very much Heck, I've got fingernails, my clothes don't reek of old ashtray, my dog likes me better and the both of us have (SOMEWHERE!) a bit of extra cash.

I'm with you, too, 150% Go, Go, Go!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 16:46
Registered Member

BF:

You can do it, the only way to do it is "your way". We're all different.
We need to hang on to each other, support each other. Ask questions, sometimes one forgets to mention things one should.

Way to go!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 16:31

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Where are you?

Wa'il,

Haven't heard from ya on here since the 28th. Hope things are going well with the quitting.

If you aren't doing so well, let us know. Vent, scream, yell....whatever you need to do. That's what we are here for.

Talk to you soon!

Linnea
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 18:05
Registered Member

BF:

Whatever you've decided, stay with us The first time around trying to quit is horribly tough. Just getting there, to try quitting, is a big step.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:05
Forum Founder

Thanks guys!

Well, I don't have a success story yet, but I don't see it as a failure either.. The pack I bought, is still being rationed Down from around 30 cigs a day to 3-4 a day.

What I noticed from cutting down so drastically, is how great the buz feels! Strange that when you smoke regularly every 30 minutes or so, is that you get nothing out of it. But when it's every 4-6 hours or so, you can feel it go through your blood stream.. Still intend to quit, but I'm surprised to my body's reaction to cutting down, and it may work against me.

Wa'il
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:39

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

LMAO!!!!!!
I don't think that's productive. totally know what you mean. when in Mexico in August. I had a few drinks and smoked (they are related, right)? loved every drag of it.
had to leave the whole pack in the restaurant for fear of relapse.

kudos to you for cutting back. in any light, that is an accomplishment.
regards,
Brenda
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 07:39

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hey Wa'il, I quit by using the lowest available patch 7 grams, and the 2 gram gum. The gum was for those times I would rip someone's head off if they looked my way The patch kept things on an even keel.

Reason I went with the lowest of patches and nicorette gum was I used both at the same time and I could monitor just how much I was going through. The high end patch gave me the shakes, headaches, dizziness and some really weird nightmares.