Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 11:27

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default 15 pounds /4.5" in one month on Paleo

Paleo is the perfect fit for me . I have tried LC since 03 with mixed results. This is working great. I have little or no pain left from Fibromyalgia, I have much better energy most days and I am losing consistently. Rather quickly right now but only cause I was almost 100 pounds overweight. I am able to walk everyday now and my cravings are gone. If I do start to crave something carby I have some fruit and a few nuts and I am good to go. The thing that is making it work this time for me is eating Fruit and ditching all dairy along with the starchy carbs. I love it cause it is so easy to remember! Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 12:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

That's awesome Debbie! Congratulations on your success! It's very encouraging to hear that you are feeling better. Fibromyalgia is so hard to get a handle on, many people suffer and yet won't consider a dietary change. I find that with RA too, people don't want to think that diet has anything to do with pain in the body. I think they just simply don't want to change their diet.....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 12:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hear ya! I've got Ankylosing Spondylitis and paleo cured my pain. I've gone off my meds. I just need to go into my rhuematologist and say "neener" a few times.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 13:54
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

This is excellent news!

Thank you for posting too - because I haven't heard a ton of success stories with respect to weight loss and the Paleo way of eating. Maybe I haven't looked closely enough...I'll have to do some searching.

Amazing what ditching dairy can do for you isn't it? And the idea that you can have some fruit and nuts is *wonderful*. I haven't touched fruit yet, but I'm still transitioning out of my "Atkins" mindset.

And here you are - proving that you can indeed have a bit of fruit here and there and a few nuts here and there, and *still* lose a decent amount of fat. That's fabulous news - thanks for sharing. And congratulations on the reduction in pain - again, great news!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 14:47
I've decided

Ok - I've got to ask...

Did you read a particular book that explained the basics of Paleo? And if so, which one? I'm in the mood to order a book today.

I have a feeling I'm already 'sort of Paleo' but would like to actually read a book about it so I understand the idea a bit better.

Once again - congratulations
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 15:05

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is our secret desire to convert all Atkins followers to Paleo....!

Muuhahahahahah!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 16:27
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
It is our secret desire to convert all Atkins followers to Paleo....!

Muuhahahahahah!

I can't see 'converting' Paleo people to Atkins...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 19:44

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
This is excellent news!
Thank you for posting too - because I haven't heard a ton of success stories with respect to weight loss and the Paleo way of eating. Maybe I haven't looked closely enough...I'll have to do some searching.

I'll add another anecdote to your pile. I lost my weight on lowish carb mostly paleo. I list my plan as "life without bread" because I try to stick by their rule of less than 72g carb/day even if I decide to have some non-paleo food sometimes.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 01:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 221/204/165 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

I eat nuts everyday and fruit most days and I've been losing an average of 0.7kg (1.54 lbs) a week...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 06:39

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

That all sounds about what I have been doing. Around 50-70 carbs a day from fruit and veggies and I am losing around 2 pounds a week right now. I have a lot to lose so I am sure I will stall and also go slower at the end but this isn't a diet. This is totally a way of life for me now. This is the first time in 20 years that I am pain free and I finally have my energy back. This is with no supplements except my magnesium which keeps the heart palps away and omega 3. I am also going to add vitamin D cause there is just not enough sun in the winter.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins now
Stats: 270/245/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I loved doing Paleo! I did it a few months ago, with crazy results. Unfortunately, fresh fruit and veggies are prohibitively expensive in my area, and I didn't really have the discipline to stay on it

So now, I'm doing "mostly paleo". NO grains, period. No fake food. Lots of meat and (usually frozen) veggies, but allowingyself beans from time to time (usually frozen lima), a little cheese here and there, and pickles/olives in moderation. Oh, and I have quinoa every once in awhile (like every week or two).. can't give up quinoaa tabbouleh!

I use a spoonful of nut butter as a dessert sometimes, and I *may* make a fake-sugar pavlova sometime soon also.

I lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks on paleo, and it was the healthiest I've ever felt inmy whole life. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 35 lbs in 2 months even though I was cheating all over the place and having LC cheesecake for breakfast most mornings.. felt really good, but Paleo was definitely better. I think it's the grains.

So... hopefully this modified diet will still work. The foods I'm allowing myself are still relatively healthy, soo.. fingers crossed I guess
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: paleolithic, IF-ish
Stats: 202/174/167 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Wow, these are some amazing short term results. It's encouraging to me, as I would like to get thinner and thinner as I get older, but add muscle mass.

99% (not exagerated) of paleolithic peoples (on their traditional diet) were thin. We know this from what is called the "Contact Period", when aboriginal peoples first come in contact (before assimilation) with western, "civilized" explorers and settlers.

Only when stores and traders and trading posts came in did you see the changes start to take place in their health and weight. Look at the Pima Indians of Arizona as a very good (read bad) example. See Price-Pittinger(Sp?) foundation of how healthy people are on a pre-western, pre mass agriculture diet.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 14:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sigh. I wish I could be fully healthy and pain free. But then again I've been cheating with too many gluten-free goodies (badies?) that contain rice, corn, beans, and/or potatoes. I need to get back on track and strictly avoid the stuff I know makes me sick.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 15:43

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ruthla, I've found for myself that even though corn is gluten-free it affects me especially badly. There are no acute symptoms, but I start getting very achey after a few days and I also get cystic acne from it. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 15:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ruthla, you might want to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" it sure made it easy for me to avoid those naughty temptations. Your library might have it.