Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 04:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Global spread of autoimmune disease blamed on western diet

Quote:
Global spread of autoimmune disease blamed on western diet

New DNA research by London-based scientists hopes to find cure for rapidly spreading conditions

More and more people around the world are suffering because their immune systems can no longer tell the difference between healthy cells and invading micro-organisms. Disease defences that once protected them are instead attacking their tissue and organs.

Major international research efforts are being made to fight this trend – including an initiative at London’s Francis Crick Institute, where two world experts, James Lee and Carola Vinuesa, have set up separate research groups to help pinpoint the precise causes of autoimmune disease, as these conditions are known.

“Numbers of autoimmune cases began to increase about 40 years ago in the west,” Lee told the Observer. “However, we are now seeing some emerge in countries that never had such diseases before.

For example, the biggest recent increase in inflammatory bowel disease cases has been in the Middle East and east Asia. Before that they had hardly seen the disease.”

Autoimmune diseases range from type 1 diabetes to rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and multiple sclerosis. In each case, the immune system gets its wires crossed and turns on healthy tissue instead of infectious agents.

In the UK alone, at least 4 million people have developed such conditions, with some individuals suffering more than one. Internationally, it is now estimated that cases of autoimmune diseases are rising by between 3% and 9% a year. Most scientists believe environmental factors play a key role in this rise.

“Human genetics hasn’t altered over the past few decades,” said Lee, who was previously based at Cambridge University. “So something must be changing in the outside world in a way that is increasing our predisposition to autoimmune disease.”

This idea was backed by Vinuesa, who was previously based at the Australian National University. She pointed to changes in diet that were occurring as more and more countries adopted western-style diets and people bought more fast food.

“Fast-food diets lack certain important ingredients, such as fibre, and evidence suggests this alteration affects a person’s microbiome – the collection of micro-organisms that we have in our gut and which play a key role in controlling various bodily functions,” Vinuesa said.

“These changes in our microbiomes are then triggering autoimmune diseases, of which more than 100 types have now been discovered.”

Both scientists stressed that individual susceptibilities were involved in contracting such illnesses, ailments that also include celiac disease as well as lupus, which triggers inflammation and swelling and can cause damage to various organs, including the heart.

“If you don’t have a certain genetic susceptibility, you won’t necessarily get an autoimmune disease, no matter how many Big Macs you eat,” said Vinuesa. “There is not a lot we can do to halt the global spread of fast-food franchises. So instead, we are trying to understand the fundamental genetic mechanisms that underpin autoimmune diseases and make some people susceptible but others not. We want to tackle the issue at that level.”

This task is possible thanks to the development of techniques that now allow scientists to pinpoint tiny DNA differences among large numbers of individuals. In this way, it is possible to identify common genetic patterns among those suffering from an autoimmune disease.

“Until very recently, we just didn’t have the tools to do that, but now we have this incredible power to sequence DNA on a large scale and that has changed everything,” said Lee. “When I started doing research, we knew about half a dozen DNA variants that were involved in triggering inflammatory bowel disease. Now we know of more than 250.”

Such work lies at the core of Lee and Vinuesa’s efforts, which aim to find out how these different genetic pathways operate and unravel the many different types of disease doctors are now looking at. “If you look at some autoimmune diseases – for example, lupus – it has become clear recently there are many different versions of them, that may be caused by different genetic pathways,” said Vinuesa. “And that has a consequence when you are trying to find the right treatment.

“We have lots of potentially useful new therapies that are being developed all the time, but we don’t know which patients to give them to, because we now realise we don’t know exactly which version of the disease they have. And that is now a key goal for autoimmune research. We have to learn how to group and stratify patients so we can give them the right therapy.”

Lee also stressed that surging cases of autoimmune diseases across the world meant new treatments and drugs were now urgently needed more than ever before. “At present, there are no cures for autoimmune diseases, which usually develop in young people – while they are trying to complete their education, get their first job and have families,” he said.

“That means growing numbers of people face surgery or will have to have regular injections for the rest of their lives. It can be grim for patients and a massive strain on health services. Hence the urgent need to find new, effective treatments.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science...on-western-diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 05:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

They're *so close* to getting it, but something's missing here. First they acknowledge that genetics haven't changed, it's our environment - but then they're focused on genes and blaming fast food.

Take a look at the average family's KITCHEN over that same time period. McDonalds and Burger King weren't responsible for the deteriorating definition of a decent diet over the last 4 or so generations. My family could hardly ever afford restaurant food. Those rare times were eclipsed by the constant white bread, sugar cereal, granola bars, Fruit Roll-Ups, pasta... the cheapest foods that somehow duped my parents into thinking it was reasonably healthy.

...though I realize the fast food comments might be tongue-in-cheek.

IMO, an individual's micro-environment - what they're putting in their body - should be more of a focus if they're looking for effective treatments. How are some sufferers achieving really good results with lifestyle interventions - how and why? The molecular mimicry theory makes sense to me, especially if it's true that gluten and other grain proteins "force open" your gut walls so that things get absorbed that shouldn't. In comes the immune system to attack them like it should, and your joints (or other tissues) are innocent bystanders that get nailed.

...but "new effective treatments" is probably a code word for drugs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jan-09-22 at 06:05.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 07:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

This research is coming out of the Francis Crick Institute in London so I looked them up. If you search the site carefully enough you do come upon all their collaborations with "industry" meaning pharmaceutical companies. I didn't discover who exactly is funding this autoimmunity research but I would not be surprised to discover that much of the funding comes from industry. The site frames this kind of collaboration in positive terms but clearly the focus will be more towards finding "treatments" than advocating lifestyle change. At one point in my life I had a slew of diagnoses with the pharmaceutical treatments to match. Now all those diagnoses are gone as are the pharmaceuticals. This was all accomplished by changing my diet. My view is that dietary change should always be the primary line of defense but when the research is funded by industries with a financial interest in pharmaceutical treatments for diseases then pharmaceutical solutions are what are going to be offered.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 09:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

IMO, an individual's micro-environment - what they're putting in their body - should be more of a focus if they're looking for effective treatments. How are some sufferers achieving really good results with lifestyle interventions - how and why? The molecular mimicry theory makes sense to me, especially if it's true that gluten and other grain proteins "force open" your gut walls so that things get absorbed that shouldn't. In comes the immune system to attack them like it should, and your joints (or other tissues) are innocent bystanders that get nailed.

...but "new effective treatments" is probably a code word for drugs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
At one point in my life I had a slew of diagnoses with the pharmaceutical treatments to match. Now all those diagnoses are gone as are the pharmaceuticals. This was all accomplished by changing my diet. My view is that dietary change should always be the primary line of defense but when the research is funded by industries with a financial interest in pharmaceutical treatments for diseases then pharmaceutical solutions are what are going to be offered.

Very insightful observations from both of you. I'm alarmed that the funding of research today requires a corresponding revenue stream of patented products that can be "owned" by the funding agency. Today, research is rarely done to learn the mechanism and discover a simple way to counteract symptoms and health issues.

We know that achieving better health through simple lifestyle practices is possible. It's incredible how powerful the major pharmaceutical and food manufacturing companies have become. The research models in place today for colleges, universities, government, and medical groups target Pfizer, Coca-Cola and other giants for funding. If the research can't produce a solution that can be developed, controlled, and sold, there is no funding.

While I'm not one to spend time flailing at windmills with wooden swords, it's important to develop and share this awareness. Many on this forum do not rely on drugs or processed foods to achieve health. It should be recognized that being offered a prescription for a condition that hasn't been present earlier in one's life is the first sign that something is wrong with the solution. Developing this awareness should trigger skepticism resulting in further learning about why the condition exists. Sharing this awareness may help to limit this dynamic to where it does the most good, at the cash register.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 09:51

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Lee also stressed that surging cases of autoimmune diseases across the world meant new treatments and drugs were now urgently needed more than ever before.“At present, there are no cures for autoimmune diseases, which usually develop in young people – while they are trying to complete their education, get their first job and have families,” he said.

“That means growing numbers of people face surgery or will have to have regular injections for the rest of their lives. It can be grim for patients and a massive strain on health services. Hence the urgent need to find new, effective treatments.

Brings to mind the old saying that "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Their research is all geared towards finding pharmaceutical solutions - that's their hammer. It doesn't really matter whether what they're really dealing with is a nail or not. Sometimes it is a nail, but even when it's not a nail, they're going to use that hammer anyway.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 10:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
“Fast-food diets lack certain important ingredients, such as fibre, and evidence suggests this alteration affects a person’s microbiome – the collection of micro-organisms that we have in our gut and which play a key role in controlling various bodily functions,” Vinuesa said.
I have never seen a fiber/no-fiber study. I do remember that as a kid in the 1950s I certainly did not eat much fiber or any kind. No one that I knew ate a lot of foods that were high in fiber. We did eat a lot of food with fat, including saturated fat. Most people I knew or saw were reasonably thin.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 15:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Too bad. The mark was missed.

For us here on the forum, we have known for years its not the genes but the environment. From food, to drugs, chemicals , contaminated air we breathe.

We can control some of this.

My grandmother and her sisters died of breast cancer; the next two generations have faired better. What changed?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 16:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been blaming the spread of autoimmune conditions on processed food for 25 years when I first tried an elimination diet. Adding things (drugs, special esoteric berry extracts, etc.) will not fix the problem, removing things that cause your inflammation is the solution. I developed allergenic asthma when I tried vegetarian & vegan diets in the early 1990s. In the late 1990s an elimination diet taught me that grains, legumes & dairy were the main causes of my inflammation. Dairy inflamed my ears, nose & throat. Grains inflamed my lungs & brain. Legumes inflamed my joints. And they all affected my skin.