Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:02

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH

...I am shocked at how my chronic brain fog has lifted! I had one bad day, 2 weeks after this change, during which I was trying to cut way back on caffeine. Since then my mental functioning has been unbelievably improved. I had attributed it to fatigue, or growing older, or perimenopause. But it was more likely fructose, or possibly sugar. I poked around on the internet for any mention of fructose + brain fog and didn't find anything, but did find sugar + brain fog linked. I can't recall if any of the many links provided in this thread talked about brain fog....

180 Degree Health... Bloggie-Style: Hypopotamus

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1
Quote:

...Pimentel also contributes to the 'big picture' with his insight on serotonin. Serotonin, Pimentel points out, is present in ever-greater amounts in the digestive tracts of those with bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine. This is a very important detail, as the mysterious connection between the mind's function and the digestive tract is well-established.

Also, tracing back to studies on fructose malabsorption, it was found that subjects not absorbing fructose properly had low blood levels of tryptophan – the precursor to the formation of serotonin. This makes plain sense. Produce more serotonin, and blood levels of serotonin become depleted. Alter serotonin production and neurotransmitter levels can become skewed, as serotonin is thought of as the most dominant neurotransmitter, responsible for more than just moods but sleep. There is an association with virtually all psychological illness and abnormal serotonin levels – either too much or too little.

Those who don't absorb certain carbohydrates fully cause a hypersecretion of serotonin. This could initially lead to overbearing levels and later lead to depletion, causing the opposite imbalance. Thus, disorders of both high and low serotonin levels could be born in the digestive tract where serotonin is produced and absorbed.

"But my digestion is fine, I do not have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or anything like that" many of you might be saying. Not so fast. As the fructose malabsorption studies were able to show, as much as half of the people not absorbing fructose were completely asymptomatic from a digestive standpoint. Pimentel found that many hypoglycemics who weren't showing signs of digestive problems were failing breath tests miserably, revealing malabsorption issues. You may have bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine, you may not be absorbing certain types of slow and difficult-to-digest sugars, and you may have no idea. Yet, all the while, changes to your endocrine system and psychological well-being may be underway – fed by the continuing supply of sugars to these out-of-place bacteria...

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1

Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:57

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

180 Degree Health - Depression and other Mental Disorders

http://www.180degreehealth.com/inde...ental-disorders
Quote:

...fructose malabsorbers have low serum levels of zinc, folic acid, and the amino acid tryptophan.~
~
This is key because zinc has many dynamic interrelationships with other minerals.~ Folic acid is of course one of the key nutrients that expecting mothers commonly take to avoid birth defects that stem from the neural tube.~ But as it pertains to mental disorders, the low level of tryptophan tells quite a story.~
~
Tryptophan is the amino acid precursor to perhaps the most dominant of all neurotransmitters in the body – serotonin.~ Serotonin is a feel-good chemical that we can’t experience happiness without.~ Abnormalities with serotonin, or the neurotransmitter dopamine, which exists on somewhat of an axis with serotonin, are associated with virtually every known mental illness.~ Although the science is quite complex, Ledochowski has noted that the incidence of depression, specifically, is significantly higher amongst the fructose malabsorbers.
~
Fascinatingly, pooperstar Mark Pimentel, the head of the gastroenterology department at Cedars-Sanai in Los Angeles, has noted that amongst fructose malabsorbers, there is bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine.~

Accompanying bacterial overgrowth are huge surges of serotonin production in the digestive tract.~ This serotonin formation depletes tryptophan levels while simultaneously shutting down receptor sites when large quantities are thrust into the system.~
~
This has a very close link with depression, addiction, and the list goes on.~ The closure of serotonin receptor sites is hugely significant, as it will make a person feel neurotic, depressed, edgy, and any number of negative emotions even when serotonin levels are perfectly normal.~

After depletion of tryptophan, matters simply get worse.~ And because of the high that eating fructose gives to those who are fructose malabsorbers, many become addicted to sugar and sweets, foods that are causing them trouble in the first place.~ The process spirals down from there....

#288   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 02:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
180 Degree Health - Depression and other Mental Disorders

It is possible that people with a natural higher anti bacterial status don't suffer as much from the problems arising from bacterial overgrowth Novel Antibacterial and Emollient Effects of Coconut and Virgin Olive Oils

Vitamin D Induces Innate Antibacterial Responses