Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 13:26

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I was just looking at Schwarzbein II some more. She mentions starting out with 15 grams of carb per meal/snack, then gradually upping the carbs, while lowering the saturated fat in order to continue to lose weight on page 452 of the second book. Interesting, I never read this before. She has plans also for meals with differing carb counts and then the lower saturated fat plans.
I need to keep reading and try this out. I have lost weight on the lower carb amounts, but didn't feel 100%, so maybe I need to try this gradual carb increase while watching the fats......very interesting!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 14:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmezak
I was just looking at Schwarzbein II some more. She mentions starting out with 15 grams of carb per meal/snack, then gradually upping the carbs, while lowering the saturated fat in order to continue to lose weight on page 452 of the second book. Interesting, I never read this before. She has plans also for meals with differing carb counts and then the lower saturated fat plans.
I need to keep reading and try this out. I have lost weight on the lower carb amounts, but didn't feel 100%, so maybe I need to try this gradual carb increase while watching the fats......very interesting!

Yes, that will work as it is the basis for the South Beach Diet that I've followed to lose all of my weight. Higher carb levels require lower sat fat levels...
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 00:18

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I did much better today...had more veggies and no cravings... It is interesting how when raising carbs one must lower saturated fats...I need to remember that one but I have been tring to get 3 mono's in a day...

TJ
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 05:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:

What do you eat that's low in saturated fat yet high in protein? I read Schwarzbein Principle (book 1) a year ago, but when I followed her diet my BP and cholestoral went up. Atkins made it even worse. Maybe I need to read South Beach again.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 06:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own/ IF
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 63.75 inches
BF:I/don't/care
Progress: 0%

Hi,
I see some mentions here about depression and serotonin. I learn something new every day---that long term coffee or caffiene use can lead to serotonin problems.

I've been researching different websites about depression---which I have struggled with for maybe 8 years. I can see the wisdom in weaning off of all forms of caffiene.

There may also be a connection between depression and gluten intolerance/silent celiac---which I just found out recently that I have. Among
other things, gluten intolerance can cuase depression and weight gain as well as weight loss. (It depends on the person's genes and how the intestinal problems manifest). That's one thing that Schwarzbein doesn't address.

Some low carb plans still allow for grains---including wheat, barley and rye---which contain gluten. (There is still some debate as to whether oats have gluten; latest studies say not.) I have just started going grain free---and we will see if that helps with the depression and other gluten-stress symptoms. I guess my carbs will have to come from fruit and veggies.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 06:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I guess my carbs will have to come from fruit and veggies.

There is also dairy, seeds & nuts, beans, legumes and lentils, that you can get your carbs from.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 11:19

BF:

Schwarzbein does touch on gluten intolerance and in her 3rd book, The Program, she has some gluten free menus. But I think she includes things like corn tortillas....But yes, I do think that gluten intolerance does worsen depression. Anniriki, what is your blood type? Not everyone likes the blood type diet theory, but are you by any chance a type A? They typically don't do well on red meat and it would worsen their cholesterol.
If you are type B or O, then I guess it's not correct in your case. Would love to hear though what type you are?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
There is also dairy, seeds & nuts, beans, legumes and lentils, that you can get your carbs from.

That's pretty much what I eat and my depression is better...but I also eat a potato every now and then..both white and yams...and oatmeal occasionally. Sweets make my depression much worse, however, but hormone replacement has helped too with the depression but the weight still seems not want to come off. I did fruits and veggies for two weeks and no weight loss but I think there is an "insulin" connection also to my depression... The depression has made it extremely difficult to lose weight for me because of the issues with consistency, this time around anyway!

TJ
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 02:50

Plan: Eat Fat Get Thin
Stats: 162/158/144 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks Pmezak

It is a difficult area to get right isn't it? I'll check out S2.

Kapri
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 04:39
Registered Member

BF:

pmezak, my blood type is O, can't remember if its positive or negative. I have never read that blood type book, though I know people swear by it. I am sticking with low carb because my hunger and cravings are out of control when I eat too many carbs. Things that would fill up normal people just make me want to eat more. Its depressing... goes right along with this discussion about depression. I battle with it too. Also have gluten intolerance. There must be a connection. Too many of us have the same symptoms.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
pmezak, my blood type is O, can't remember if its positive or negative. I have never read that blood type book, though I know people swear by it. I am sticking with low carb because my hunger and cravings are out of control when I eat too many carbs. Things that would fill up normal people just make me want to eat more. Its depressing... goes right along with this discussion about depression. I battle with it too. Also have gluten intolerance. There must be a connection. Too many of us have the same symptoms.

Have you tried fish oil at all, Carlson's is an excellent brand that has been filtered. That has helped me with my depression. Also flax seed is very good for it as well, it really calms me when I use it...2 T. a day! I crush my own and make bread, crackers, etc.

Also my cravings are out of control with the wrong type of carbs, but with fruits and veggies I'm fine... I have to add that the flax will help with any hormonal issues that might be contributing to your cravings...once I started using it my cravings went away because they were hormonally related! If I get them I know that my hormones are off now!!! It's amazing how long I thought it was my fault, etc., now saying that some of it wasn't, but a great deal of the cravings were chemically related to estrogen/progesterone ratios!

TJ
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 11:54

BF:

Another supplement worth mentioning here is chromium piccolinate....I read a book a while back by a Dr. McLeod, who found a connection with insulin/depression/chromium. I am not sure of the amounts, but it may have been around 400-800mcg dose a day that made many of his patients feel alot better.
Also if you are type O, then low carb is generally good, especially proteins and veggies.

Here's a link to that book:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ression&x=0&y=0

Last edited by pmezak : Fri, Jul-03-09 at 12:03.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 12:13
Registered Member

BF:

I do take fish oil, but not chromium. Might give that a try. Plus the flax seeds. I was making One Minute Muffins for breakfast and felt pretty good during that time. I'll try them again. I remember reading about hormonal imbalance in The Zone. He wasn't referring to female hormones, but to the whole endocrine system being out of balance due to poor eating habits. Doesn't Schwarzbein go into that, too? I read all these books and then forget who said what and which advice I want to follow. Sometimes too much information can be just as bad as not enough!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 23:31

I was taking chromium before I started hormones but I stopped most of them ...perhaps I'll restart them. Schwartzbein definitely discusses how poor nutrition can attribute to hormonal imbalance which is why I was drawn to her book. She has a supplement regimen in her book and states these improve insulin sensitivity and/or carb cravings...I usually take the garlic at night...

Alpha Lipoic acid
carnitine
chromium
coenzyme q-10
conjugated linolenic acid
gamma linolenic acid
garlic
glutamine
l-glutamine
l-taurine omega 3's
b complex
vanadium
zinc

I stopped all the supplements because I wanted to see how my body handled the hormones. After 3 months I restarted my weight loss journey and some of the supplements. I agree too much information is just as bad as not enough, that is why I was just trying to eat clean foods and not use the supplements but when tracking my foods I'm not getting the potassium, vitamin c, or magnesium that my body needs so I need to supplement.

She also discusses the quality of supplements and how pharmaceutical grade supplements are best!

What are One Minute Muffins??? Do they contain flax and do you have that recipe?

TJ
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 06:27

Plan: Eat Fat Get Thin
Stats: 162/158/144 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Anniriki,

Can you tell us more about your cholestoral issues with Atkins and Schwarzbein? I am doing ok at low carbing but do worry about possible health issues.

Kapri