Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 00:50

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 143/137/120
BF:too much!
Progress: 26%
Default Yeast Fighters (TwinLab)

hiya , have just started on this product, (with other herbal support). Have had some severe die-off reactions, so looking really good so far (not feeling good so far though, he he).

I'd love some comments from anyone also using this product, how things are going, how far down the track you are week 2/3/4 etc.., how things have changed. Is the product still as effective down the track as it is at the beginning.

see ya,
Row

ps. this is me being impatient to start getting better
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 21:44

Plan: starting Dr Bernstein
Stats: 260/251/199
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Rowrena,
I just bought Vitamin Shop's version of this, Yeast Raiders, and took it for the first time last night. About to take my second dose soon as i finish this post.
What prompted me was waking up yesterday to find black fuzzy growth on my tongue - it looked like I'd been chewing on my mascara wand!
So I looked at the symptoms/candida test, and I should be it's poster girl.
It's confusing to me why this should happen now, when I've been doing Bernstein's Diabetes solution LC diet for about 4 weeks, and don't take antibiotics or BC pills.
But I'm a newly diagnosed type II, and my blood sugar is not under control yet- maybe that's it, I'm too sweet! haha
Anyway, how has this product been working for you? It's been about 10 days since you posted - are you feeling better?
How long do you intend to take it?
I know you were hoping for answers, not questions, but I'm just starting it, I'd be happy to update my experience, (soon as I have one! )
Hope you are getting better!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 03:39

hiya,

yes I am feeling much better thanks. I've just passed the 2 week mark. What I found with this product is the die-off was much more hard hitting than anything else I've tried, which to me spells success, I want to feel bad because then I know the product is really working.

The first week is definitely the worse, if you can get past this you'll balance back out, generally feel about 50% better and have maybe one bad day out of 4 or 5, rather than every day like before. I think that after about 1-2 months is when you really notice yourself feeling MUCH better, so I've read and from what people have said here, here's hoping.

I would definitely recommend the product and I've used TwinLab supplements before and have had good results with them. The trouble is that everyone talks about their product being the best so you start doubting whether you're on the right one, I've heard about SF722 and ThreeLac especially as being wonder cures. I don't think there is a miracle pill with this problem though, you just have to be patient, do the diet strictly and keep up the remedies and with time you'll see the results.

hope this helps, good luck with yours and definitely expect to feel worse before you feel better (sorry).

see ya
Row

Last edited by Rowena : Thu, Apr-10-03 at 23:32.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 08:19

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 180/~~/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hello everyone,

Rowena, I'm so glad to see the product is working for you .

I was wondering where you can get the Yeast Fighter from? I think that I may have Candida.

Do anyone have any suggestions to give in regards to other forms of supplements you take to kill of the yeast.

Thanks and take care,
Grace
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:58

BF:

Here's a comparison of the ingredients in the Twin Lab Yeast Fighters, and the Vitamin World Yeast Raiders. They are nearly identical except for the herbal component - the Yeast Fighters has ephedra in it, which I don't want to take. (It's an amphetamine - here in the US there's quite a movement to get it banned.)

Twin Lab Yeast Fighters:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 5
Container Size: 75 Capsules

Amount per
Serving % Daily
Value

Calories 15 *

Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%

Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

Biotin 900mcg 300%

Fiber Blend
(psyllium seed husks, guar gum, apple pectin, chitosan) 3001mg *

Lactobacillus Acidophilus
(providing 2.5 billion viable cells at time of manufacture) 220mg *

Garlic Bulb Extract
(equivalent to 1500mg of fresh garlic) 100mg *

Herbal Blend
(Ephedra Herb. Fo-Ti Root, Astragalus Root, Ginseng Root) 2mg *

Caprylic Acid 103mg *

* RDA daily value has not been established.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin World Yeast Raiders:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 5 capsules
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Calories 15
Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%*
Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%*
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 60 mg 100%
Biotin 900 mcg 300%
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 10 mg 67%
Selenium (as Sodium Selenate) 50 mcg 71%

Freeze Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus 41.67 mg **
(supplying 2.5 billion live cells at time of manufacture)

Concentrated Odorless Garlic Extract 100 mg **
(Allium sativum) (bulb) (equivalent to 1,750 mg of fresh Garlic)

Natural Caprylic Acid (as Calcium Caprylate) 100 mg **

Fiber Blend 3,000 mg ** (Psyllium Seed Husks (Plantago ovata), Guar Gum, Apple Pectin)

Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) (root) 100 mg **

Ginger (Zingiber officinale) (root) 10 mg **

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) (herb) 10 mg **

Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum) (bark) 10 mg **

Proprietary Blend 25 mg **
(Pau D’Arco (aerial), Onion (root), Echinacea (aerial), Goldenseal (root))

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
**Daily Value not established.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2bfree, do you have Vitamin World's there? Here you find one in just about every mall. Right now they're running a 30% off sale.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 23:21

hi guys,

thanks for the heads up about the ephedra, it's not something that's controversial here in New Zealand as far as I'm aware. After what you said I've checked out a website about it to get some more info.

I'm having no adverse effects from the Yeast Fighters so I'll finish this bottle then try another brand when I run out. I've heard it's good to rotate your anti-fungals in any case, keep the candida guessing.

good luck with yours.

see ya,
Row
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 08:51

BF:

There's such a negligible amount in the Yeast Fighters...probably ephedra has to be a significantly larger dose or mixed with other stimulants to be dangerous, but I'm still kind of surprised to see it in there as Twin Labs was sued over it in another of their products, "Ripped Fuel", when some military officer in Florida died from it.

Quote:
keep the candida guessing

haha, I liked that.

My bottle really has very little information on a suggested best time to take it - it just says if you take other medications, do so an hour before.

Have you discovered a prefered time as far as morning, bedtime, with food, before or after food...?

So far, aside from feeling kind of uncomfortable (bloated and stuffed) shortly after taking it, I haven't begun to experience any bad symptoms from it. I hope it's doing something.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 11:57

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 180/~~/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 93%
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if we have any VW's in any of the malls around here, but sure am going to look for them. I checked out Walgreens, but the one yeast fighter they had didn't list specifically what it was made of, so I decided not to purchase it.

On another note, I ws wondering, do you all get flutters in your abdomen???? They kinda feel like butterflies in the stomach and it can happen in several different areas in the abdomen. I don't know if this is a symptom of candida or IBS.

Thanks and take care,

Grace
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:49

hi Hissyf,

did a double check of my Yeast Fighters bottle and it doesn't mention the ephedra so mayble TwinLabs have changed the recipe not sure. Anyhu, was talking to a health food lady the other day about TwinLab stuff and she said they do have a reputation for adding controversial ingredients and have been in trouble about it in the past which is interesting.

re. when I take them, I have a routine where I take them about an hour before I go to bed. When I first got them I started taking them in the afternoon but got so lethargic and groggy from them that I changed it, spoke to Liz about it and she recommended at night (see the my friend candida, yeah right thread).

My routine:
first thing I get up and have hot water and lemon, or a herbal tea wait about 1/2 an hour then have all my various supplements, these are:

Primadophilus (3 per day - 1 mrng, 1 lunch, 1 dinner)
Colostrum (6 per day - 3 mrng, 3 aftn)
B vitamins (Nutri-calm) (2 in mrng)
Evening Primrose Oil (6 per day - 2 mrng, 2 lunch, 2 dinner)
L-Glutamine powder (3 teaspoons per day - 1 mrng, 1 lunch, 1 dinner) then last thing I have the 5 Yeast Fighters on an empty stomach about 9pm.

I am feeling a lot better, the die off has calmed right down, just wake up a little bit heavier/drowsier than I did before.

My biggest concern is the constipation and I also find drinking lots of water quite hard to do, am worried about all the toxins floating around in my body (dead beasties) and that I'm not able to flush them very effectively. Need to work on this.

Went for a long power walk on the weekend, first time I've had enough energy for ages and it was really good except I got very heavy arms and lethargic afterwards so perhaps a bit early to start going at the exercise too hard. It's a slow process.

You mentioned feeling stuffed after taking it, if it is a really extreme heavy tiredness, foggy head, almost drunk feeling that's the die off.

Hi Grace,

not sure about your stomach flutters thing, I can have it at times, but not constantly. Often find it with certain foods or food combinations.

I was actually diagnosed quite a few years ago with IBS which I initially thought this was, but after doing much reading IBS is one of the symptoms of candida overgrowth and in fact candida can be misdiagnosed as IBS.

hope this helps
Row