Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 01:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/280/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default new and prego

hi ladies,

My name is nelli, im 36 living in oklahoma with dh and 2 kids 1 on the way. I am very very fat, i have had 1 kid per year for the past 2 1/2 years, im exhausted! I have been planning on going LC for a very very long time, but never had the guts, well now i have the guts. I am not only doing LC for weight loss, but also for bi-polar disorder.
I am 19 weeks pregnant and have only gained 4 lbs, but thats because im not really eating much at all, and i need to be!
I have my babies at home, unassisted, and plan to still do the same this time around, im starting to get excited.
I have never LC'd especially while pregnant, so im a little scared, but im sure thats just the american way getting in the way!
is induction phase safe during pregnancy?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 03:22

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

No one knows if it is safe to do induction during pregnancy, though you will hear the whole gamut of opinions. Isolated studies don't really prove anything one way or the other. I didn't feel comfortable doing induction during my current pregnancy. If I had chosen to do it, my approach would have been to start slowly & listen to my body. If it felt good, I would have likely kept doing it. I do know that I'm disappointed in myself for eating so many carbs & gaining too much weight.

I do not support unassisted childbirth, especially w/ risk factors, but know that there is a very active community who does. Have you visited mothering.com?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 07:56

BF:

oh i dont do mothering.com, they dont really support unassisted childbirth, i just go to the actual unassisted childbirth forum, best info out there!
i understand there are people that do not support uc's, my best friend was one of them until i safely had arabella at home in less than 2 hours, and after her doula had her baby in the shower accidentally!
dont worry about me, i know ALL THE RISKS, what to do and WHEN TO TRANSFER, but im bet i will have another super short labor with this one!
oh and i typed so fast that i said i was 36 not 26...im 26 lol
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/143/120 Female 154cm
BF:34%/32%/20%
Progress: 26%

Hi nelli - thanks for posting on my thread - I have replied to you there too. I think it would be wonderful to have a baby at home. Unfortunately I have too many risk factors to make that a sensible idea for me. If your last baby was born in less than 2 hours I would think you are probably safer at home than trying to get to hospital in time!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Beat of my own drum
Stats: 231/225.6/200 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Wow! A baby at home...that's *old* school! If that works for you and your family, I by no means, intend to pass judgement. But I do find it VERY interesting. I know hands down that wouldn't be for me. I'm thinking I may need drugs when that day comes! Haha.

I am starting a LC lifestyle now to get healthier before I become pregnant (hopefully in the next few years). And so I will have a healthy lifestyle to return to afterwards as well.

Since I don't have kids, I wouldn't know...but wouldn't starting a LC diet be harder during pregnancy? Go, you! for have the gusto to do so. Let us know how it all turns out!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 16:34

BF:

lol
after all the research ive personally done concerning dietary concerns and pregnancy pretty much point to lc lifestyle being completely safe. there is no data on pregnant women doing induction phase and i feel thats up to each woman whether she would like to do that or not.
Im doing induction next month, because i have a yeast problem. and some say its cuz im pregnant, but i know better, its because im addicted to sugar, whether it be from grains and pastries, or fruit.
I dont plan on completely erasing fruit, but i would like to knock out the sugar addiction. i plan to follow my body.
this pregnancy is so different for me, i hardly have an appetite, and when i do eat, i want to make sure its the best for me and baby.
Like i said im not just changing my life for weight loss, but to alleviate my moods and symptoms of bi-polar disorder. Ive read a lot of natural sites that say i should NOT eat sugars...like simple carbs and things like that!

I think its a great idea that you are starting this lifestyle while you are not pregnant. Its not that hard for me, today is day 3 no simple carbs (im still eating some fruit) but its not that hard, i thought it would be worse than this! but i think thats just because the way my body is acting right now anyways. Now if i were addicted to taco bell that might be a different story lol!

Thank you ladies for respecting my choice to birth at home. i hope Zion (his name) wont come out in like 45 minutes...i really dont like being thrown into transition at all. I was a birth doula for a while, still studying it, and i might be a midwife. Im kinda trying to find myself right now, so what my future will be like is dim!