Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 19:05

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

so really the answer is to eat fish, grass-fed beef and lots of low-carb veggies? Sounds like what I've been doing. And of course, if we're eating grass-fed animal flesh, then we can go ahead and eat high fat. In his eyes, is there any problem with this I wonder?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 10:29
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

I agree with his color advice on grass-fed beef, though. "If it's brown, slow down. If it's red, go ahead." Rare beef just tastes better, doesn't it?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 16:20
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Yeah, it's always a problem when someone who is an expert in one field seems to think we should accept them as an expert in another field. "Look! I'm a heart surgeon! And when I read a bunch of stuff about gorillas, I come up with a mangled theory that I think is really clever."
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 12:48

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

This is the same hookum...the same rhetoric...last time I checked, I was eating lean meats and oh - what is that on my plate?!?!? VEGETABLES!!! Mercy me!!! Are you kidding??? What - do they think we just chow down on any meat like it just came off the spit because we're trapped on some desert island like the cast from "Lost"???? And what's good for a chimp isn't necessarily good for man. We ARE different after all.

The quip about heart disease is rather telling. ANYONE can develop heart disease. Genetics will play a large role in this process. It doesn't run in my family but do I take chances any more? No. DH, on the other hand, has diabetes in his family and yet does not really do much to control his carb intake. I've stopped buying high-carb snacks. It should help. I've known people who are vegetarians (even vegans) who are just as unhealthy or just as healthy as anyone else. It's the other factors in their lives that count as well - weight, family history, activity level, food allergies/intolerances, lifestyle. I spent a lot of years avoiding meat, thinking it was a good thing. The stuff I was putting into my system was more toxic to my body and detrimental to my health than anything I do now. Jeez...
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 05:59

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

If you look at the little rhyming rubric at the end, you'll see that it's Atkins maintenance--or (I assume) the final outcome of just about any established low-carb eating plan. "If it's white, keep it outta sight"--well, yeah.

People are omnivores. That's why we've got those incisors (like dogs) for shredding stuff, and molars (like cows) for mashing it up. In our primitive state, we are as opportunistic as pigs--we eat whatever's available. That's why American diets are heavy on fast food--easily available!

Whole foods--real foods--consumed in appropriate quantities. All macronutrients in appropriate quantities. Plenty of water. Daily exercise. Who can argue with that? I'm an Atkid--and it works for me.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-05, 07:39
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%
Default Well, I'm generally disagreeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Whole foods--real foods--consumed in appropriate quantities. All macronutrients in appropriate quantities. Plenty of water. Daily exercise. Who can argue with that? I'm an Atkid--and it works for me.

Everyone.

Let me show you show.

First, define appropriate quantities, and you'll find someone who disagrees with you.

When you say all macronutrients, it sounds as if you're advocating alcohol consumption. It is a macronutrient, after all. Also, the human need for carbohydrates is exactly the same as the human need for alcohol, zero. You could be healthy for the rest of your life without ever consuming another gram of carbohydrates or alcohol.

The dogma of 8-10 glasses a day is an urban myth. Go to www.snopes.com and look it up. Best place on the net for debunking urban myths.

And daily exercise? Google found about three hundred and eighty three thousand hits for the search term "overtraining."

Welcome to the world of uncertainty.

Last edited by Hybrid : Sat, Nov-19-05 at 07:41. Reason: title, smilies, formatting
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-05, 23:45
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Everyone.

Let me show you show.

First, define appropriate quantities, and you'll find someone who disagrees with you.

When you say all macronutrients, it sounds as if you're advocating alcohol consumption. It is a macronutrient, after all. Also, the human need for carbohydrates is exactly the same as the human need for alcohol, zero. You could be healthy for the rest of your life without ever consuming another gram of carbohydrates or alcohol.

The dogma of 8-10 glasses a day is an urban myth. Go to www.snopes.com and look it up. Best place on the net for debunking urban myths.

And daily exercise? Google found about three hundred and eighty three thousand hits for the search term "overtraining."

Welcome to the world of uncertainty.

I have to agree with you, Hybrid! While we need to move around, and walking and some resistance training are probably the best exercises, most people who "work out" are taxing themselves to the point of serious harm! They are sending "panic signals" to their brains and setting off a cascade of hormonal hell!

There are cultures who laugh at plant eating, saying "that is for cows", and it is so true what others have said about the fat (and internal organs) of animals being extremely prized, and in fact would be the only parts consumed during times of plenty... in other words, what is "starvation food", people?... and what is the "best", most "nutritious" food... I'll go with fat and organs any day, if that is what was prized by our ancestors, who were WAY healthier than we will EVER be!

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html

I will also take this information, based on REAL research, over this quacks "advise", based on stupid conjecture, any day!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Dec-08-05 at 23:52.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:15

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

The guy is spewing standard vegetarian/fruitarian rhetoric. Its old stuff, generated by people who drew a conclusion (veggie good- meat bad) and then went searching for data to support it.

I personally have nothing against plain old grain-fed beef, even with the traces of chemicals. The hormones are the same that we produce in our own bodies, and I bet they get cooked up anyway.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 19:47

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wonder what the "great" doctor would say about this paper?
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/31

Also he is obviously unaware of the findings at (I hope I have this right) the "sun cave" in England. There there is a "butcher" site where they have identified the bones of two now extinct animals, grazers as I remember. The text that I read (wish I now knew where so I could give you a link) had comments where someone pointed out the the two animals were known to weight in the range of 200 pounds for one and 500 for the other. He then pointed out that as weight goes up in an herbivore, so does the percentage of body fat. As I remember the percentages were something like 40% and 60% respectively.

The doctor has also knows nothing about some of the common animals such as the opossum and ground hog. The 'possum is well know for its' very greasy meat. And I skinned out a g'hog once, and boy was there a thick layer of fat next to the skin. And pigs are not exactly lean!

Regards,
Larry
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/230/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Larry whats your favorite part of the groundhog?