Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 11:02
I'm gonna make it!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerucaSalt
I am sure that there are a multitude of people ready and able to tear my post apart because I wasnt strong enough or smart enough to be able to maintain your low carb lifestyle and have long term success without a surgical tool.

I won't tear you apart. My Mother also had a Gastric Bypass. After doing many diets over the years. My Mom was a low carb lady, she watched everything she ate, but just couldn't lose the weight. At 5' 2" she was close to 300 pounds. After a heart attack and many years of struggling with high blood pressure her doctors urged her to have the proceedure. And let me tell you it isn't easy for her now. She has lost down to an ideal weight but she still can't eat. Because they changed her digestive track she has to deal with dumping and other problems. She has to take nutrients and supplements. I can tell you Surgery has helped my Mom to become thin but her willpower and strength will help her stay that way.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 11:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

And there are plenty more who will support you no matter what your choice. Even most people who believe the surgery itself would have to respect your honesty, your struggle, and the fact you took whatever measures you had to in order to save your own life.

We're all in it together, no matter what.
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 12:14
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

I'm confused by the idea of "deserving" surgery. Could you explain, please?
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 12:44

Plan: GBS patient menus
Stats: 420/389/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 11%

To me, someone who is 50lbs over weight, plunks down 25K and has this surgery isnt necessarily deserving. This tool was not invented for individuals who fit that category yet the industry continues to thrive on these people because they have the ability to pay cash in many cases. In addition there are people that have a PPO and self refer themselves to a bariatric surgeon, pay the 20% required (like 8K) and bam WLS for the slightly obese.

I dont feel that those types of individuals are "deserving" of the surgery in most cases unless they have a lot of co morbidities. There are so many people that can greatly benefit from this tool yet they are being denied, and exclusions are being placed on health care plans.

I dont blame the individuals per se, I blame the physicians for doing the surgery on people that are not 100-150+ lbs overweight. Hollywood has glorified the procedure and many people do see it as an easy way out. The surgeons take the 25K per pop in a lot of cases and dont look back. They just feed the greed.

I believe that there needs to be regulation placed on the surgery so that those patients that truly are massively morbidly obese have the opportunity to receive this tool. If the industry continues to chase the all mighty dollar (which they will) instead of develop stricter guidelines then people like myself that can and will greatly benefit from this tool will not be able to afford it.

I just got the bill from the hospital. 42,000 total. I paid a $250.00 deductible. If the cost continues to rise employers will have no choice but to continue excluding the procedure. Considering it can be a life saving tool for those that are truly qualified, I hate to see that happen.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 17:52

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerucaSalt
I am sure that there are a multitude of people ready and able to tear my post apart because I wasnt strong enough or smart enough to be able to maintain your low carb lifestyle and have long term success without a surgical tool.

I'd be shocked if anyone tried that, and so should you. I can only hope you've spent enough time during your brief tenure here, to read other forums and see how people generally interact outside the War Zone.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 20:25

BF:

Will do Jane =)
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Veruca...many of the other forums are much less judgemental, I suspect the Warzones purpose is to allow people to vent extreme or very strongly held opinions.
Congratulations on the fact you are at peace with your choice.
That IS all that matters..
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 10:41

BF:

lol, thx Jonah. I can usually jump in to the flame wars and hold my own but this is one battle I just didnt see the point in debating. Thanks all for the encouraging words! *hugs*