Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 12:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Supercentenarian dies at 114 yrs - longevity credited to genetics and high-fat diet

https://gerontology.wikia.org/wiki/Ellen_Gibb

Ellen Susan "Dolly" Gibb (née Box; 26 April 1905 – 5 June 2019) was a validated Canadian supercentenarian who was the oldest living person in Canada at the time of her death.
Quote:
..... she.never smoked, and never drank until her seventies. Her family attributes her longevity to genetics, eating well but in moderation, and lots of full-fat cream and butter.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 17:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Obviously, she would have lived to 120 if she had been a low-fat vegan.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 17:56
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Obviously, she would have lived to 120 if she had been a low-fat vegan.

Yep, insert gigantic rolling eyes smiley here --> _____

Too funny. Just look at recent photos of Neil Barnard or Dean Ornish .. middle aged vegan men in their 60s. They look horrible .. pasty, pale, emaciated. I seriously doubt they'll outlive their 70s in *vibrant* health, let alone reach 100 years healthy.

I emphasize *vibrant* because vegans will no doubt point to (rare)70+ year olds as examples, without any consideration of their current health status, or whether they might've only recently chosen a plant-based WOE, after a liftetime of crappy processed food.

Whatever.

Dolly Gibb lived all of her 114 years with whole foods that included full-fat cream and butter. She walked every day, she didn't smoke and she drank minimal alcohol.

'Nuff said

#4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 08:44

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Let's not forget the "genetics" part.

Just curious: what did she die of? Presumably just finally wore out. Happens.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 10:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Never drank until her 70s. Glad to see she finally wised up. Just kidding. Most of the time I couldn't be bothered to drink these days. Maybe I'll take it up in 20 years.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 13:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Never drank until her 70s.
She probably started drinking to help preserve herself. Into the 1980s Alberta Health Care gave seniors a voucher for a bottle of booze per month as a little nip soothed aches, pains, feeling down & problems falling asleep more cheaply (and effectively) than pills or rounds of doctor visits. Unfortunately the program ended when the government liquor stores were privatized.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jun-08-19 at 13:19.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 14:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
She probably started drinking to help preserve herself. Into the 1980s Alberta Health Care gave seniors a voucher for a bottle of booze per month as a little nip soothed aches, pains, feeling down & problems falling asleep more cheaply (and effectively) than pills or rounds of doctor visits. Unfortunately the program ended when the government liquor stores were privatized.

It does thin the blood too....
Maybe I should take up drinking but I just don't like the taste of it anymore, never really did. Only the sweet mixer made it palatable.

Like a Pina Colata
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 17:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My grandmother (b 1897) was a fan of sherry, but some of her friends got brandy or rum and would put it in their afternoon tea. 1/30th of a 750 ml bottle is 25 ml or about an ounce a day. They didn't have it every single day so they would have a few ounces left for guests, but stuck to the one bottle per month. All lived to age 89 or older; many of their mothers had been in the Women's Temperance Union, so they always seemed to get great delight, like naughty children, out of having their "little nips". My sister has our great grandmother's WTU espresso cups and we like to gleefully drink little nips out of them.

I had a colleague who would bring tea in a thermos to work and would add a bit of brandy whenever he was getting over a cold or sore throat "for medicinal purposes only", he'd say, whenever someone noticed the smell. Cheaper than Nyquil and tastier - I've tried it, though I rarely get colds any more. Cuban rum made from cane sugar is nice and smooth on a cold winter's night.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jun-08-19 at 17:53.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 19:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Let's not forget the "genetics" part.

Just curious: what did she die of? Presumably just finally wore out. Happens.

She died of old age. Apparently, she lived independently in her own home until after her 100th birthday. Then she moved into her daughter's home. She was never in a nursing home. She was interviewed earlier this year, Feb.2019 ... sharp as a tack! except hard of hearing so needed some help with that .. https://www.everythingzoomer.com/he...-oldest-person/

I'm not suggesting that eating a high-fat diet will lead to longevity. It's just that the low-fat phobics would have us all believe that eating a high-fat diet (in particular, high saturated fat, as found in cream and butter) will negate healthy genetics, and basically kill us all.

Take home message (IMO): Try as much as possible to follow a whole foods WOE that includes full-fat cream and butter. Walk every day. Minimize alcohol .. and don't smoke.

If your genes allow, you'll have a long and healthy life. If your genes suck, well .. you'll still have good odds with a whole foods, high-fat diet. 'Nuff said
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-19, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T

Take home message (IMO): Try as much as possible to follow a whole foods WOE that includes full-fat cream and butter. Walk every day. Minimize alcohol .. and don't smoke.

If your genes allow, you'll have a long and healthy life. If your genes suck, well .. you'll still have good odds with a whole foods, high-fat diet. 'Nuff said

Very well said! That’s my goal. 💪🏼👍🏼
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-19, 12:19

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:

And have good genetics. I've got a long history of ancestors, especially, women, who've lived well into their 90s. But it's almost never just one, they tend to come in succession. And when two people who come from families who've mostly been living long lives marry, they get a whole passel of kids who live well into their 90s.

The other thing I'd add on to that list is that they didn't smoke. They were religious conservatives of one variety or another and didn't smoke or drink. But once you start throwing smoking into the mix people start dying younger. Drinking doesn't seem to have made much difference.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 07:45

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Doreen, thanks very much for this. I so enjoy reading or hearing of very elderly people.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 08:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Just look at recent photos of Neil Barnard or Dean Ornish .. middle aged vegan men in their 60s. They look horrible .. pasty, pale, emaciated. I seriously doubt they'll outlive their 70s in *vibrant* health, let alone reach 100 years healthy.

They don't look that bad! And consider that genetics goes in both directions. I always look sort of pale - a matter of genetics & getting older. I also have some wrinkles - not surprisingly making me look even more like my grandmother, whom I've always resembled. Which is a shame - I'd rather have taken after my grandfather.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-19, 07:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Yep, insert gigantic rolling eyes smiley here --> _____

Too funny. Just look at recent photos of Neil Barnard or Dean Ornish .. middle aged vegan men in their 60s. They look horrible .. pasty, pale, emaciated. I seriously doubt they'll outlive their 70s in *vibrant* health, let alone reach 100 years healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
They don't look that bad!

Compared to people eating the SAD

I just did an image search comparing Dean Ornish:

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post...-ketogenic-diet

and Mark Sisson

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/about/

So compare these "after" photos and choose a plan!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-19, 07:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

While genetics are part of the story, so are epi-genetics. This is the discovery that genes can be turned off and on by our environment.

I would say, based on my experience with low carbing since 2003, that I will live twenty years longer eating this way. Based on the SAD/meds combo my peers are experiencing, I'm already at least a decade younger. And the gap will only increase.

And sadly, I am comparing myself with a sibling who has been diagnosed with diabetes.