Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-20, 14:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default The Queen ‘is not a foodie’ and follows a no-carb diet

Well, if it's good enough for Her Majesty...

Quote:
Speaking to The Telegraph, the chef said: "[The Queen] not a foodie.

"She eats to live, unlike Prince Philip who loves to eat and would stand and talk food all day."

What's more, Darren claims Her Majesty follows a strict no-carb diet when she's eating on her own.

He added: “When she dines on her own, she’s very disciplined. No starch is the rule."

The monarch’s meals are healthy, low-carb affairs, usually grilled fish or chicken with two different vegetables or a big bowl of salad.

That said, The Queen still likes to treat herself to something sweet from time-to-time - and Darren claims she's a total "chocaholic".

He told HELLO!: "She is absolutely a chocoholic. Anything we put on the menu that had chocolate on, she would choose, especially chocolate perfection pie.”

But, the Queen won't entertain any old chocolate - in fact, it has to be dark. "She likes chocolate, but only dark chocolate, the darker the better," he added. “She’s not a big fan of milk or white chocolate.”

Oh wow - so my mantra that I eat like a god d*mn queen isn't much of an exaggeration!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-20, 16:54

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

LOL! Well, that story could do more to get the British people going low-carb that all the doctors in the world telling them to do so. Too bad they emphasized that the Queen likes "something sweet from time-to-time" without saying anything about whether ttime-to-time means its a near daily habit or a once-a-month treat thing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-20, 04:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This explains so much, does it not? Her Majesty looks marvelous, and I wonder if her mother ate the same way?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-20, 07:41

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Despite the fact that Prince Philip likes to eat
He doesn't seem to have gained a pound since his marriage
QEII does not allow garlic anything
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-20, 20:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

But WHY do people equate no carb with low carb? No carb would mean no vegetables, fruit, & other good stuff that isn't meat.

And speaking of meat - friends that used to raise pigs are back in the pig business & I'm getting a whole pig in the fall!!!!! They completely spoiled me & I can no longer tolerate store-bought pork.

I'm so happy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-20, 20:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'd read that about the Queen's diet many times over the years. She looks and acts marvelous for a woman in her 90s. I'm surprised low carb faces such stiff resistance from the British medical establishment. Clearly the Queen's doctors are onboard with it and it's obviously served her well over the years.

I'm envious of the pig. Store pork is just not any good, same as store chicken. I used to get chicken from a local farmer and it was so flavorful, until the styrofoam-tasting chickens of the supermarket. Sadly the farmer went out of business and I haven't found a replacement that's any good.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 04:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I'm envious of the pig. Store pork is just not any good, same as store chicken. I used to get chicken from a local farmer and it was so flavorful, until the styrofoam-tasting chickens of the supermarket. Sadly the farmer went out of business and I haven't found a replacement that's any good.

This is where finding humanely-raised pork and chicken is helping me. Aldis has some ground pork, while Hannafords is stocking free range chicken, and the taste difference is incredible.

I simply could not eat chicken until now.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 08:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
But WHY do people equate no carb with low carb? No carb would mean no vegetables, fruit, & other good stuff that isn't meat.

And speaking of meat - friends that used to raise pigs are back in the pig business & I'm getting a whole pig in the fall!!!!! They completely spoiled me & I can no longer tolerate store-bought pork.

I'm so happy!

I can't recall where I saw it, but I read somewhere (within the last couple of years) that she's really only relatively LC, and that she always has potatoes on the menu, just not loads of carbs. I assume she eats some potato if she always has potatoes on the menu ( she is the queen after all, surely they wouldn't knowingly serve her something she won't eat, considering her ban on garlic), but who knows, maybe she entirely skips the potato. Or maybe she eats only a tiny bit of it - it's so hard to tell when there's conflicting stories.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This is where finding humanely-raised pork and chicken is helping me. Aldis has some ground pork, while Hannafords is stocking free range chicken, and the taste difference is incredible.
I have not been inside a grocery store since March 11, and currently get curbside pickup from Walmart. I actually got free-range chicken thighs at Walmart the other day. They also have free-range eggs. I'm surprised at the variety they offer.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 12:43

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

We've occasionally had the organic free range chicken and it was more flavorful and also the taste was different than what we usually buy.

That said, these labels can be very deceptive:
https://www.consumerreports.org/con...-means-nothing/
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_Swan
That said, these labels can be very deceptive:
https://www.consumerreports.org/con...-means-nothing/
Wow, I knew "cage free" was a very deceptive label and didn't mean much of anything, but I thought free-range actually meant, you know, free range. But the definition the article gives for free-range is what I always thought the definition of cage-free was.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-20, 14:47

BF:

I'm about ready to give up on chicken again. After enjoying the better taste, I got drumsticks again, and this time they were raw inside even with the same cooking methods, etc. I'd alreayd put sauce on them and I just threw them out.

Can't be too careful these days.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-20, 17:46

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I used to get chicken from a local farmer and it was so flavorful, until the styrofoam-tasting chickens of the supermarket. Sadly the farmer went out of business and I haven't found a replacement that's any good.

This comment reminds me that I really need to check out a place not far from me that sells farm fresh chicken meat and eggs. It's been on my 'to do' list for a while now.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 12:08

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Bonnie. Late to the party here. Just a question: How many people will you be feeding with that "whole pig"?

I ask because many years (actually decades) ago, DH and I bought a "share" of a pig. I think it was a half or even just a quarter. It was butchered and packaged by cuts to be put in a freezer. Roasts, bacon, anything included on our part of the pig. That also meant quite a lot of lard.

We rented a space at a commercial freezer. After some time, I realized that we were paying a boatload of money to store...lard. I wasn't baking or using it in any other way. I forget what happened to the lard when we quit our rental.

As a sidelight, I hated going to that storage place. Walking into the huge freezer and having the huge heavy door slam behind me was not reassuring.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 12:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hi, Bonnie. Late to the party here. Just a question: How many people will you be feeding with that "whole pig"?

Good question! The last time I got a whole pig there were 4 of us - now just 2. I got so excited when Eddie said they were getting pigs again I said "save 1 for me!" So I might be looking for someone to share it with.

I'm going to get a vacuum sealer to save space in the freezer (I have a large one) and I can a bunch of it, too.

I didn't render the lard last time (didn't know what a good idea that was), but will be doing it this time.

I remember going to the meat locker with my dad when I was a kid. We had whole cows there so it was worth it. We always got part of it processed into jerky - that was the BEST jerky ever.