Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/251/195
BF:
Progress: 44%

this MD blows.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/149/135
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Dear Judi

Being that I am a relative newbie,,,,,,at that time I was not sure where to post my response.....hence the reason why it ended up as a new post......being human can cause you to make mistakes and I was just trying to help.....not make things harder

Smiley
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 18:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Where does this doctor get the idea that this is a low fiber way of eating? The article repeatedly makes reference to this being a low-fiber diet.

If you look at all of the healthy, fresh, not frozen or canned veggies and highly fiberous nuts and seeds we eat...well, enough said
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 23:45

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Talking Another quack, to make us laugh

Just another want-a be a millionaire MD.
So in his opinion, what I had for dinner tonight is going to kill me one day. Let's see, had a steak dinner, double order of brocolli and a coffee. Humm... so in his opinion, I should have had a side of potatoes or fries or rice with my meal, instead of a veggie. That will surely make me (a) loose weight, (b) make me feel better than I do now, high energy. and (c) make me feel and look at least 10-yrs younger.

Gimmie a break pal, how can never being hungry, having high energy levels and feeling great, be all that bad. No diet has ever worked, I've tryed most of them and never lost close to 100-lbs in less than a year, with this ease and felt fantasic while doing it.

Ahh, I needed a good laugh!

Cheers, John

PS: Maybe he owns stock in one of these companys that produce one of the foods, that we're no longer buying and is afraid of loosing some cash.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:03

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks John! Laughing at such medical advisers is probably the best way of dealing with them, and you have always had the ability to make me laugh with your sense of irony.

By the way, your stats are looking fantastic! Boy, have you made some progress.

Andy
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:43

BF:
Post Hi Andy

I hear you Andy. These MD's are laughable sometimes. Luckily, the Dr I go to is supportive of this WOL.

You're doing great too! Not to far from goal yourself! WTG!

I'm just plugging along myself. Trying to find the magic number for me. I get tired of people telling me, "ok...you've lost enough...stop already "
I'll find the place where I'm happy with myself. Little more to go. Maybe not 199 but will see when I get there.

Cheers, John

PS: I now have folks calling me from the food stores, after they stopped by and see the change. Now I get, "you got a minute, I'm in the store, what should I buy, what can I eat??? " This is turning into a full time job
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:25

BF:

John, nothing speaks louder than visible results. You do have a lot to offer, and I'm delighted you are getting recognition "out there", where most of us don't!

Andy
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 268/198/205
BF:
Progress: 111%

John,

I happened across your post. Good for you. I've also heard the "you've lost enough" diatribe. I think you've got the right idea.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:33

BF:
Default Andy Davies / Pete

Andy, being down 70+ lbs has got to feel great. You probably get noticed more than you think! I've seen the looks from people, after they notice the change. The ones that won't give you the praise you deserve, for doing what we have done with ourselves.
Pete, glad someone, who's living this lifestyle, agrees with my thoughts on this subject. Guess they figure, tell us to stop, so we can never reach, what we will feel in our minds, is perfection or acomplishing are goals completely. Then we will be truely happy with ourselves.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers, John
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 00:44

Stats: 155/145/110
BF:
Progress:

The article agrees with the thinking of many people and is appalling.
So frightening that people eat carbs and more carbs and wonder why
they don't function well. A friend (whose nutritionist told her Atkins
would kill her and has her on high sugar SUGAR! and low fat) told me
with pride about the breakfast her daughter gave her two grandsons.
Cocoa, juice, bagels and donuts. Egad!!!!!! Frances
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 16:54

BF:

A truly horrifying thought.

If a doctor mis-prescribed drugs to treat someone with, there would be no end of trouble, but they seem able to get away with causing just as much damage to the health of their patients by mis-prescribing food!

I hope your friend has taken the precaution of getting all the "start" data: weight of herself and children, measurements, plus analysis of triglyerides, cholesterol, etc.

This doctor is clearly not very bright. Atkins has been going for more than 30 years now. Many thousands of people have followed his way of eating directly through his clinic, and it is possible that millions have followed his WOE from the book and its updates. If Atkins was likely to kill someone, there would surely have been evidence of it by now!

When your friend and her children are as wide as they are tall, what do you think their doctor is going to say? It won't be "Oh dear, I seem to have made a mistake". It will be "However little you think you are eating, it is still too much". (And delivered with an air of disbelief and censure).

Andy