Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 04:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Very Useful article (Motivation)

I came across this article during my searches on the Internet and thought it would be useful to everyone - It is about exercise but the principles are equally as important for weight loss

8 Simple Steps to Get Your Fitness (Low carb) Program Back on Track
By Stephen Holt
So a few weeks ago you decided to start getting ready for the beach.
A few weeks ago you were excited, motivated and ready to do whatever it took.
You joined a gym, bought new shoes and matching outfits, maybe even bought one of those ab gizmoes you saw on TV.
So how is your fitness (Low carb) program going now?
Aha, I thought so.
Maybe the problem was not doing the right exercise at the start of your program. No, not physical exercise. Mental exercise.
The key to "motivation" is realizing what your "motives" truly are.
Answering these thought-provoking questions *in writing* will help you clarify your vision and enhance your commitment by helping you to focus on your true motives.
You'll also have a permanent record of your values and priorities that you can periodically use as a reminder that will rekindle your motivation.

Step 1.

Simple. Start with writing what you want in general.

For example "I want to lose weight." Write as many goals as you want.

Step 2.

Now it's time for details.

For each of your three most important general goals, write down *exactly* what you want.
You know the SMART acronym by now Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timed.
Keep in mind that a safe rate of *fat* loss is 1-2 pounds a week. With my clients, we pick a date first, then work backwards using a pace of one pound per week.
It also helps to write each goal in the present tense so that it becomes an effective affirmation.
An example would be "As of [date seven weeks from now] I weigh [seven pounds less than today]."
However, since your rate of weight loss is non-linear and not entirely in your control, "activity goals" - such as working out three times a week - are less frustrating.

Step 3.

Write down WHY you want it.

This is what motivation truly is. You don't really want to lose seven pounds just to be seven pounds lighter.
You want to lose weight because you believe that being lighter will make some positive change in your life.
What is it that you *really* want? It's never the weight itself.
Maybe you feel that losing weight will make you more attractive, more popular, more lovable, live longer, have less pain, or make someone envious.
Your motivation could simply be pride in showing the self-discipline to accomplish your goal.
No one else has to know your true motives but you, so be brutally honest with yourself.
Sit down and write out exactly what you hope to gain.

Step 4.

Write down exactly what differences you will see, hear, feel, taste and smell.
Once you've determined your true motives, you can go on to write exactly how your new fitness program will change your life. Use all five senses and imagine how your life would
be different.

Step 5.

Write down who's help you need in reaching your goal

Everyone needs help from someone else. You must enlist the help of your spouse, family, friends and co-workers.
Chances are, someone close to you will try to sabotage your progress - either consciously or subconsciously. Tell them up front that you need their help.
There will always be someone who, for whatever reason, does not want you to lose weight. Either persuade them to your side, or do your best to ignore their input. Spend as little time as possible around those people.

Step 6.

Write down what specific steps you have to take.

Too many people go out on their own or listen to the wrong sources. Find a credible source that you trust and follow the advice of proven experts.

Step 7.

Write down what you can do today and tomorrow to get started.

When asked how to get to Athens, Socrates advised, "Just make sure that every step you take is in that direction."
Once you set your goal, make sure that everything you do - no matter how seemingly insignificant - keeps you headed toward your goal and never away.
Find *something* that you can do TODAY to keep you on the right road. Make a plan for what you can do tomorrow to stay in that right direction.

Step 8.

Follow your plan.

Whenever you don't feel like following your plan, re-read your answers to Steps 1-7. If necessary, re-write your answers.
Loss of motivation is simply forgetting what your original motives were.
Taking these eight steps will assure that you stay truly motivated and make steady progress toward your fitness goals.

http://www.mybodycomp.com/articles/8_simple_steps.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:33

Stats: 175/160.0/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Motivation

Elixa

I've read that article before -- in fact, passed it on to a friend when I was in High Motivation Mode and she was struggling.

I've since slipped back into bad patterns. Wasn't really obsessing about it, just knew that the time would come when I'd get back on track.

Feels as if the time has come.

Thanks
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love that - thanks for posting it! I especially love this quote: "Loss of motivation is simply forgetting what your original motives were." I might add it to my signature.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 17:04
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Yeah - It really struck a few chords with me - and made me realise some truths about myself - I have no problems getting started on anything, but lose interest after about 2-3 months - I so badly don't want to get slack about making my weight loss happen!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great article, Elixia. I've printed it out and have written out my goals and wishes.

Thanks for posting it.

Rosebud