Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Please help, what kind of dr do I need???

Yesterday I ate 2 boiled eggs and a peach (carb goal is 30 net), around 830 am. The lowcarb urination issue began at the drs office at 11:30. They don't have a restroom in their office you have to get the key. So 2 times in 15min I get the key. The guy with the key says "again?" My appointment is 15 min and I can't drive home without using the restroom again. I'm too embarrassed to ask for the key so I go to fast food restaurant. I buy a burger so I'm not free loading, the high sodium, carbs and gluten stop the problem.

What kind of issue causes a person to have such big water losses? I have lost as much as 18lbs in one week, it does not fit in with my life style at all. It limits my entire life. It has gone on for a very long time. It makes it impossible for me to diet.

I'm seeing a GP on Monday. How do I get someone to help me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 12:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Girl, this is water loss!!! A whosh!!!!

Especially if you know you can stop it with a burger!!

Your body is going thru a yo-yo effect as you switch your foods every couple days.

You may have beaten Thuds record.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 13:17
Registered Member

I didn't lose weight I gained today. Gluten inflames my gut and the inflammation causes water retention. The first time I lost all my weight I had to eat 300 carbs a day to try to control this nonsense. The last thing I need is to eat sugar and gluten.

I have periodontal disease, hypoglycemia, gluten intolerance. They believe leaky gut is caused by my eating gluten I have IgG antibodies to every food I've ever eaten, I was tested yesterday because they think I'm becoming diabetic.

I can't go on a date, or hiking, I'm eating chicken pot pies right now, shoving it down with a candy bar to try to stop the problem. I will repeat this right before I go to work. It is every hour of every day. It keeps me from sleeping. I'm at the end of the rope and need to find the cause.

The first dr I saw said it was probably aldosterone that keeps me from retaining sodium. It is treated with a small dose of steroids and she refused to put me on. The second dr thought I have diabetes insipidus from a head injury I had as a kid. In getting tested the phlebotomist hand slipped and left me with a painful nerve injury.

Something is very wrong and I don't know how to get help.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 14:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I didn't lose weight I gained today. Gluten inflames my gut and the inflammation causes water retention. The first time I lost all my weight I had to eat 300 carbs a day to try to control this nonsense. The last thing I need is to eat sugar and gluten.

I have periodontal disease, hypoglycemia, gluten intolerance. They believe leaky gut is caused by my eating gluten I have IgG antibodies to every food I've ever eaten, I was tested yesterday because they think I'm becoming diabetic.

I am not a doctor so can only ask questions and help you find an answer...

IMO these are all related and dependent on the foods you are eating. Have you been given the protocol to heal the leaky gut?? Have you been given a list of foods that support the gut while it heals???

I eat to keep a healthy gut and prevent leaky gut. I would expect you would need the protocol for healing instead. Maybe someone can point you to information, or google it. Healing leaky guts is a common problem. It is all food related. Like eat real foods, support the gut with probiotics and prebiotics.

Obviously elminating gluten would be prudent and Im sure you must do that.

Quote:

I can't go on a date, or hiking, I'm eating chicken pot pies right now, shoving it down with a candy bar to try to stop the problem. I will repeat this right before I go to work. It is every hour of every day. It keeps me from sleeping. I'm at the end of the rope and need to find the cause.

Im confused, are these pot pies gluten free?? And Im confused about how a candy bar helps?

Gum disease is also a symptiom of an unhealthy body-- in Dr Lins DMD book he is all for eating high quality foods to support the gums.

Quote:
The first dr I saw said it was probably aldosterone that keeps me from retaining sodium. It is treated with a small dose of steroids and she refused to put me on. The second dr thought I have diabetes insipidus from a head injury I had as a kid. In getting tested the phlebotomist hand slipped and left me with a painful nerve injury.

"a disease in which the secretion of or response to the pituitary hormone vasopressin is impaired, resulting in the production of very large quantities of dilute urine, often with dehydration and insatiable thirst." Have you had this since a head injury? Or al your life?, or is this new?

Quote:
Something is very wrong and I don't know how to get help.

Do you have a primary to work with? It is a primaries job to sort thru the fiDo you know what to do to heal the gut?

I can only tell you what I do to keep it happy. Your mileage may vary. BUt perhaps you can use the infor to google for ideas and more solutions.

keifir-- milk based probiotics
kombucha--- tea based probiotics
probiotic pills 50 billions per pill, of 5 strains
yogurts

raw, not pasturized sauerkraut.

Foods that support the microbes: asapragus, jicama, plantains, artichokes.

I have seen protoocls for supporting a leaky gut on line.

hugs. . can u find a dietition that follows the lc option.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 14:57

BF:

My personal thoughts is to eliminate as many foods as you can. The gut heals very fast as in the turnover in cells is very fast, so in theory the gut can heal fast, though never fast again.

My first thought was do a bone broth fast.

Here is one resource. I cannot vouch for it. I can only say it makes sense to me.
ANd I see many foods that I would avoid for now: nuts, grains, nightshades.

HUGS.

https://goodbyeleakygut.com/heal-leaky-gut-syndrome/
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 15:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

One article I read recently said that if you want to stop going to the bathroom so much, stop drinking so much.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 15:15
Registered Member

I have had 5 primaries in the last year. The good ones don't last long that are on my insurance.

I have had this problem a long time, I do not know if it is related to a head injury, I was 6 when I had a concussion and don't remember 'before'.

It became worse when I went on thyroid medication, weight loss is the number one related symptom. It became even worse when I went on asthma medication to the point that I no longer take the evening dose. Those 2 things point to an adrenal problem.

I cannot cook at my house.

The periodontal disease was caused from stress from landlord, asthma from landlord using chemicals. There is a huge housing shortage and renter's are a dime a dozen.

I do not know if a naturopathic dr, nephrologist or endo would be the one to deal with. I don't really have the time or energy to deal with it, and trying to get rid of a horrid job, find a decent place to live, attend 2 different schools and work. I'm not even studying for my board exam.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 15:35

BF:

ok. wish you well, hugs.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 16:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Have you recently had a Psychiatric assessment? I did a few years ago and found it helpful and insightful. I did mine in order to complete recommended criteria in a particularly rigorous program.

May you derive the same benefit as I did if you can/do take this step.

Peace, calmness and clarity is my wish you.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 18:06
Registered Member

thud I'm not sure. I met with the type of mental doctor that can prescribe meds. I answered a list of questions she said I had anxiety about health issues and that I needed my thyroid levels under better control.

Meme I've wondered about that one. I go 8 hours without fluids around my work hours and it definitely helps.

I got my sleep test results back yesterday, I wake up 50.8 times a night and have no deep sleep stages and am working on doing at home sleep studies with apap for 6 weeks. He did say not getting enough sleep can cause excessive urination

2 weeks ago I volunteered to do 10hours a week of community service through December and it's my greatest joy but has left me pretty depressingly tired with my already full schedule.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 17:57
Registered Member

Thud I find your question into psychiatric assessment improper. For a long time women's symptoms were pawned off as anxiety. Many hypothyroid patients, myself included were told the fatigue and weight gain we experienced were caused by depression. I was given a prescription for paxil. I decided to get a different doctor and have never been diagnosed with depression.

I did leave somethings out of my story, such as having chronically low levels of potassium, after the 4th IV, they told me to supplement. Having difficulties with collapsing veins from dehydration and having high concentrations of uric acid from low blood volume and fainting several dozens time upon standing because my blood pressure falls instead of increasing. Or my diagnosis of low cortisol levels, an adrenal hormone, my questioning if it could be another adrenal hormone, aldosterone, which plays an important role in water function. I was taken off cortisone when I started taking steroids for asthma, which occasionally shut down adrenal function. There is an adrenal, pituitary, thyroid axis.

I guess my real dislike of the psychiatric questions is because my father was diagnosed as having an upset tummy from stress, thus missing the colon cancer diagnosis. It wasn't until the tumor pierced the bowel causing sepsis that he was diagnosed with cancer. the anxiety diagnosis to led unbelievable human suffering.

I apologize, I was wrong to ask a complicated medical question on a diet forum.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 18:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Thud I find your question into psychiatric assessment improper. For a long time women's symptoms were pawned off as anxiety. Many hypothyroid patients, myself included were told the fatigue and weight gain we experienced were caused by depression. I was given a prescription for paxil. I decided to get a different doctor and have never been diagnosed with depression.

I did leave somethings out of my story, such as having chronically low levels of potassium, after the 4th IV, they told me to supplement. Having difficulties with collapsing veins from dehydration and having high concentrations of uric acid from low blood volume and fainting several dozens time upon standing because my blood pressure falls instead of increasing. Or my diagnosis of low cortisol levels, an adrenal hormone, my questioning if it could be another adrenal hormone, aldosterone, which plays an important role in water function. I was taken off cortisone when I started taking steroids for asthma, which occasionally shut down adrenal function. There is an adrenal, pituitary, thyroid axis.

I guess my real dislike of the psychiatric questions is because my father was diagnosed as having an upset tummy from stress, thus missing the colon cancer diagnosis. It wasn't until the tumor pierced the bowel causing sepsis that he was diagnosed with cancer. the anxiety diagnosis to led unbelievable human suffering.

I apologize, I was wrong to ask a complicated medical question on a diet forum.

My friend, thud would never knowingly hurt anyone. He explained that he had an accessment himself that was illuminating and offered it up another option with the best intentions.

I'm sure this is all very difficult with the hectic schedule.....I know you will find answers.

Hugs.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 22:19
Registered Member

Arielle I agree with what you said. Doctors appointment was to be today, but dr resigned, I see the nurse practioner tomorrow whom I will only bother with a request for a flu shot. At least I got the sleep study!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 08:13

BF:

Dang. Double dang. Patients left hanging. Sorry it's another hiccup. I'm still thinking IBS is driving the belly issues. Would u consider re looking at the above link to see what might help??

hugs
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 12:05
Registered Member

Default First awful physical

I don't know how to fix my life I just had my first really crappy physical. I have high fasting blood sugar, microcytic anemia, low HDL, obstructive sleep apnea and I wake up 50 times a night and have no deep sleep.

I live in a house where I can't cook because I'm a fire hazard. I'm allowed one light bulb in my room and they freaked that I heated my eggs 20 min on the broken burner that doesn't heat well. They never use the stove just boil their food for hours. I store food in my bedroom, mostly canned corn beef.

I've been injured for 4 years and do no exercise although I recently started stretching. I couldn't before because the hypothyroidism caused super painful muscle cramps.

I work a stressful job with no bathroom breaks, even not drinking fluids for 4 hours before my shift doesn't stop from having to get a manager to cover for me and spell it out in front the long lies of customers that I have to pee. So I don't lowcarb 5 days a week and gorge in sugar, salt and gluten before work to stop ketosis.

Essentially my housing and my job suck, and my health is paying for it. I'm completely exhausted all the time. I'm prone to being irritable or tearful much of the time.