Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-10, 07:51
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Home Made Peanut Butter Atkins/Protein Bars! (not for induction)

You heard it. For all you Atkins bars lovers, you can finally make your own home made version without all the CRAP! I cannot take credit for the recipe, it comes from a combination of recipes from Lauren of www.healthyindulgences.blogspot.com. These are AMAZING!

I didn't follow her steps on putting them in the bottom of a loaf pan, and instead just spooned out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, hence the...unique shape.

RECIPE MAKES 4 BARS

Protein Bar Base (peanut butter)
Ingredients:

1/4 cup natural peanut butter (any nut butter would work)
2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter OR coconut oil
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons heavy cream OR coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract (I used NuNaturals)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup whey protein powder (check for additives and carb content)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add nut butter, honey, and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove and immediately whisk in vanilla extract and heavy cream or coconut milk. Stir in sweetener and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust if necessary. Stir in protein powder until mixture clumps together. Don't worry if it separates and some of the liquid weeps out of the dough. Press mixture as flat as you can into a greased loaf pan. I like to place a piece of wax paper over the dough and press it flat with a smaller loaf pan. Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan. The dough will absorb all of the liquid that has bubbled up. Slice with a sharp knife and store in baggies. Does not need to be refrigerated.

Peanut Butter Topping:
Ingredients:

1/4 cup peanut butter (no-stir type preferred)
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening, unsalted butter, or coconut oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon heavy cream OR coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
sugar-free sweetener, to taste (I use NuNaturals stevia)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)

Preparation:
Add peanut butter, honey, and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove and immediately whisk in vanilla extract and heavy cream or coconut milk. Stir in sweetener, xanthan gum (if using), and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust if necessary. Fold in peanuts and spoon on top of bars. Chill in freezer until firm, then transfer to refrigerator.

Easy Chocolate Ganache Topping
Ingredients:
4 squares of 85% cacao chocolate
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening (could also use more coconut oil or organic unsalted butter)
1 tablespoon erythritol
1/8 teaspoon pure stevia extract
1 teaspoon organic heavy cream (or full fat coconut milk)

Prep:
Powder erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Melt shortening and chocolate in microwave in for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in cream, erythritol, and stevia, until mixture is completely blended. Spread over cooled bars immediately. (I only did the bottoms, so this did not require the full recipe)

Nurtitional data per bar
Carbs (net): 12.3
Protein: 21.1
Fat: 48.9
Calories: 574

Calorie Breakdown:
Carbs: 11%
Protein: 14%
Fat: 75%
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-10, 07:53

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I wonder if using SF syrup instead of honey would work, the syrup will be a lot waterier but have no carb count.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-10, 07:58
Induction ≠ Atkins

I'm not certain. I just tried it as she wrote it. It'll save you about 3.75-4 carbs per bar depending on the carb count of your honey.

I don't think it'd make a difference for the topping, but it might in the bar portion. Mine was pretty crumbly (which is why I did the ganache on the bottom!), so it's a tough call.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 16:03
Induction ≠ Atkins

Ok.

I tried the syrup in palce of the honey, and it worked fine!

I made them a little differently today, and left the peanuts out of the topping, and without the chocolate on the bottom becuase the sugar alcohols in it (to sweeten) caused me some stomach upset. SO...if you sub out the DaVinci syrup for the honey (17.5 carbs for the recipe), leave off the added peanuts (they add 9.9 net carbs to the recipe), and then leave off the chocolate coating (6 net carbs for the recipe), the breakdown looks like this:

Carbs: 4.4
Protein: 16
Fat: 33.5
Calories: 384

Last edited by krystalr : Fri, Apr-23-10 at 16:26.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 16:24

Plan: My own version of LC
Stats: 245/224/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:Since 4/4/2010
Progress: 18%

These look so good! I cant wait till I am past induction to try them.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 17:11
Induction ≠ Atkins

I have to say, that to me, they are WAY better without the ganache. And without the extra peanuts. And taste and texture wise, are fine with the syrup in place of honey. And with all that bringing the carbs down to 4.4, they are a total winner for me now.

I made my second batch yesterday, and only have 1 left. I had one after the gym this morning as did my hubby. Then he ate on a second one during the day, sneaking bites as it went on. They are so tasty and filling.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 07:47

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Anyone tried it without honey or syrup ?

Patrick
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:00
Induction ≠ Atkins

I haven't yet, but I'd imagine you could. It just may make the texture of the bar part slightly more dry.

do you want to avoid the sweetner, or you just don't have either? If you just don't have one or the other, you may try a bit of liquid stevia (I'd say a dropper full...not sure what that measures out to, but any more I think would be too much).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:14

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I haven't yet, but I'd imagine you could. It just may make the texture of the bar part slightly more dry.

do you want to avoid the sweetner, or you just don't have either? If you just don't have one or the other, you may try a bit of liquid stevia (I'd say a dropper full...not sure what that measures out to, but any more I think would be too much).

My protein powder already has stevia and is vanilla flavored. I am certainly not going to use honey and I don't have any sugar-free syrup. So it's just a question of texture then?

Patrick
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:17
Induction ≠ Atkins

Ah - if your powder is already sweetened, then you should be ok. The texture is really dependant on how thick or thin you make them. If you spoon them out slightly thicker, then you should be fine. They hold together really well once you add the topping.

Since the topping is the same recipe as the bars minus the protein powder, I'd microwave the butter and pb together, add the other ingredients, and then give it a taste. If it needs a little bit of sweetner, you can add there. I have found it doesn't, but everyone's taste is different.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 17:18

Plan: Don't know.
Stats: 180/180/190 Male 6
BF:
Progress:

That looks pretty awesome krystalr. I might try to make that if I decide to get some protein powder.

Thanks krystalr.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:18

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I made these yesterday and they are very good! Thanks krystalr for the recipe substitutions.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:28

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I did use almond butter and it is excellent.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:33
Induction ≠ Atkins

I'm glad you liked them! One of those and a bottle of water will keep me full from breakfast til lunch time. The only downside is that I find my husband eating them like cookies. He LOVES them and sneaks them as snackes. I'll usually make a double batch, and after the first day, there will be 5 or 6 missing! My friend and I each have one, he has one..and then the rest somehow disappear after dinner.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 10:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Oh, my, this looks worthy of a try, Krystal. Thanks for sharing. I was just searching the net yesterday for homemade protein bars!