Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#526   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-23, 04:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
There will be other helpful Quick Guides, on fasting and keto challenges, but again to Marty's surprise, in a community poll the most requested was on menopause.

Because the Standard of Care for menopause is essentially useless, and only slowly improving.
Sponsored Links
  #527   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-23, 13:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Three good new "Short Guides" are in both the Optimising Nutrition blog and the ON Community.
If you want to join or are part of the ON community, here is the much anticipated short summary of how to overcome menopause weight loss challenges. . Links take you to studies and in depth analysis of data…or use the simple included infographic list of foods.

https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual

On the Optimising Nutrition blog, three of the most requested topics:

Did Diet X Fail You?

Welcome to Optimizing mNutrition, where you will find a home with thousands of others who have been failed by numerous diets and are now thriving! We’ve been on a data-driven quest to understand why so many dietary approaches work, until they don’t, whether that be fasting, keto, low carb, carnivore, plant-based, or calorie counting
https://optimisingnutrition.com/did-diet-x-fail-you/

Menopausal Weight Loss: Quickstart Guide
Good news!~ We have stumbled upon the solution for those battling the ominous weight gain that often occurs after menopause! We initially designed our tools and systems to help people optimise their blood glucose and body composition.~ But, to our surprise, we attracted a solid following of middle-aged women who’d tried so many other approaches like fasting, keto, calorie counting and carnivore.…

https://optimisingnutrition.com/men...ickstart-guide/

Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Management: Quickstart Guide

We Understand! My quest to optimise nutrition began after Moni and I got married, and we started thinking about having kids.~ We knew we needed to get her Type-1 Diabetes under control somehow to avoid the extensive list of complications accompanying diabetic pregnancies. ~ But despite decades of visits to endocrinologists, nutritionists, and diabetes educators, none of the numerous experts could give her clear answers about what to eat or how to optimise her blood glucose levels.~
Read moreInsulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Management: Quickstart Guide

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ins...ickstart-guide/
"

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-06-23 at 09:45.
  #528   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-23, 16:18

To go with each of the new Short Guides, some inspiring Success Stories! Five today, I believe there are a few more in the works.

Muffy's story of operations for heart disease, cancer, joint disease and more…diabetes, chronic conditions and the concurrent treatments is beyond inspiring, especially her before/after photos. 76 years old and lost almost 100 pounds. IF for the first 20 then stopped. Found ON and progressed right to goal weight.
Just Do It!

From Struggles to Triumph: Unveiling Muffy’s Inspiring Journey to Optimal Health and Wellness

https://optimisingnutrition.com/muffys-story/

I already posted the four other inspiring stories in this thread.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...54&postcount=37

Mine is there…main reason…when you know how to eat satiating foods it is easy to not regain weight. Stable after three years after bouncing up and down on low carb.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-10-23 at 02:44.
  #529   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-23, 02:42

More even Shorter Guides!
Two new posts on the blog showing "Your Perfect Day"

Best Foods to Maximise Nutrient Density (and How Much of Each)
https://optimisingnutrition.com/max...trient-density/

This article has a short list of the most popular foods free living Optimisers eat and an infographic of the top 12. Super Simple.

Quote:
Baseline Micronutrient Fingerprint
Over the past five years, we’ve collected over half a million food entries showing how our Optimisers eat in the real world. The micronutrient fingerprint below shows the nutrients provided by the most popular 450 foods consumed by our Optimsiers. On average, Optimisers consume 32% protein, 46% fat and 18% carbs, which yields a Diet Quality Score of 74%. *

Towards the bottom of our fingerprint charts, we see nutrients our Optimisers get plenty of vitamin A, B12, phosphorus, and copper. The priority nutrients Optimisers don’t meet the Optimal Nutrient Intakes for are shown at the top of the chart. These include dietary vitamin D, folate, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and vitamin C.

*Note: This summary uses data from all members, all styles of eating. The Maximize Satiety article was sub-categorized by low carb, low fat, etc. These averages include vegetarians, carnivore, keto, high protein, low protein, etc. But even with this mix, eating more than 30% protein is highly satiating and nutrient dense.

* To lose weight to goal, and easily maintain it, I eat higher protein in the range of 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% net carbs.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-22-23 at 02:57.
  #530   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-23, 05:19

BF:

8% protein makes that much difference? Interesting. I'll see if my old tracking app still works.
  #531   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-23, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
8% protein makes that much difference? Interesting. I'll see if my old tracking app still works.

Since the typical American eats somewhere around 12-14% protein, going to 30% is a huge win. Dr Naiman has said in interviews the world's obesity crisis would be solved if everyone ate 30% Protein. But your protein % should be based on where you are now. If you currently eat 30%, and still want to lose more weight, moving up to 40% may help. I now eat more seafood and NF dairy for the micronutrients, so I end up with more lean protein.

That "perfect day" at 59% protein is a crazy high PSMF level, something a body builder may use for show prep, but hard to do that for a week, much less longer. Hard to do without resorting to PP, egg white and chicken breast, too nutrient dense, too satiating, but interesting in theory

Note: The Low Carb Maximise Satiety food list is in my journal. Also note: it is not only the MACROS but the MICROS that provide Satiety, Calcium, Potassium, Selenium, etc. Use this new infographic and you have those nailed as well.

EDIT ADD: Speaking of MicroNutrients, Monica had a laundry list of Medical Issues, including Traumatic Brain Injury. Her recovery and improvement in a few short months is astounding. New Success Story:

From Hopelessness to Health – How Monica Transformed Her Life Beyond the Scale!
https://optimisingnutrition.com/monicas-story/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-23-23 at 03:01.
  #532   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-23, 04:32

More Short Guides in an easy to find Format. On the Optimising Nutrition website, the new Short Guides (currently four) are now in the First subject tab.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/tag/quickstart-guide/
Want short, simple explanations with infographics available on a free website, start here:

Did Diet X Fail You?

Welcome to Optimizing mNutrition, where you will find a home with thousands of others who have been failed by numerous diets and are now thriving! We’ve been on a data-driven quest to understand why so many dietary approaches work, until they don’t, whether that be fasting, keto, low carb, carnivore, plant-based, or calorie counting
https://optimisingnutrition.com/did-diet-x-fail-you/

Menopausal Weight Loss: Quickstart Guide
Good news!~ We have stumbled upon the solution for those battling the ominous weight gain that often occurs after menopause! We initially designed our tools and systems to help people optimise their blood glucose and body composition.~ But, to our surprise, we attracted a solid following of middle-aged women who’d tried so many other approaches like fasting, keto, calorie counting and carnivore.…

https://optimisingnutrition.com/menopausal-weight-loss/

Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Management: Quickstart Guide

We Understand! My quest to optimise nutrition began after Moni and I got married, and we started thinking about having kids.~ We knew we needed to get her Type-1 Diabetes under control somehow to avoid the extensive list of complications accompanying diabetic pregnancies. ~ But despite decades of visits to endocrinologists, nutritionists, and diabetes educators, none of the numerous experts could give her clear answers about what to eat or how to optimise her blood glucose levels.

Read moreInsulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Management: Quickstart Guide

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ins...ickstart-guide/
  #533   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-23, 04:30

Macro Masterclass starts tomorrow, the first one to feature ON's brand-new "Your Perfect Day" satiety optimization algorithm. 📈🍽️
Along with the updated manual, your own transformative insights will guide weight loss. 💪
SATIETY Per CALORIE is where it is at.

https://members.optimisingnutrition...s/10181096/page

Best Foods to Maximise Satiety (and How Much of Each)
https://optimisingnutrition.com/bes...ximise-satiety/

After learning When to Eat with DDF, Macros adds in What to Eat. I do very well maintaining with these two programs. The Micros class is the Nutrient Density "icing on the cake" but an easy way to start here.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-15-23 at 04:41.
  #534   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 05:12

More Major Updates to the Nutrition Series.
Potassium and Magnesium (and others) were added today.
Both are important for bone health and both are often insufficient on a very low carb diet long term.

Potassium: The Essential Mineral You’re Probably Not Getting Enough Of

https://optimisingnutrition.com/hig...-foods-recipes/

Magnesium-Rich Foods & Recipes: A Comprehensive Guide to Boosting Your Magnesium Intake
https://optimisingnutrition.com/mag...-foods-recipes/

Selenium Rich Foods: A Comprehensive Guide to Boosting Your Intake https://optimisingnutrition.com/sel...-foods-recipes/

Quote:
"People following a low carb diet typically get less magnesium, potassium, folate, calcium, Vitamins A, C and K1, while they will be getting plenty of vitamin B12 and amino acids" as in analysis above. By analyzing my diet with Nutrient Optimiser, I was also low on Selenium, Zinc and iodine, three of 11 nutrients important for thyroid health."
j

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-23-23 at 10:43.
  #535   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 06:30

BF:

If people only knew how minerals are SO important. Magnesium was a game changer years ago, and now calcium is another.

I drink a cup of lemon juice a day and meat is full of potassium. But there's inaccurate information. Like, the measurement for bananas are based on peel included, and no human eats them that way.
  #536   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 02:15

Calcium! Drives me mad…this new nutrition guide is so complicated. So many interactions, synergistic nutrients, reductions in bioavailability, and on and on. I have large servings of yogurt, cottage cheese and Fairlife milk daily, but still don’t reach 1200 mg calcium. I eat greens, but how much is available? I broke down and added a 300mg supplement.

Foods High in Calcium: The Ultimate List of Nutritious and Delicious Options
https://optimisingnutrition.com/cal...ds-and-recipes/
  #537   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 03:31

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Calcium! Drives me mad…this new nutrition guide is so complicated. So many interactions, synergistic nutrients, reductions in bioavailability, and on and on. I have large servings of yogurt, cottage cheese and Fairlife milk daily, but still don’t reach 1200 mg calcium. I eat greens, but how much is available? I broke down and added a 300mg supplement.

Foods High in Calcium: The Ultimate List of Nutritious and Delicious Options
https://optimisingnutrition.com/cal...ds-and-recipes/

Calcium is the one nutrient that I absolutely cannot get enough of simply from food. I am unable to eat dairy which leaves me reliant on mostly leafy greens. I do eat canned salmon several times a week, the kind with the skin and bones, and that helps but I have been taking a calcium supplement for years. Marty Kendall’s apparent belief that we can get everything we need simply from the food we eat works in theory but in practice I find taking a few supplements helps, not as a substitute for eating as nutritiously as possible but as exactly what the word implies, a supplement to nutritious eating.
  #538   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 04:32

Jean, totally agree.

I was much better off nutrient wise when I started Optimising Nutrition than the previous decade on VLC when I ate almost no calcium, due very limited dairy. But now with higher satiety I am consistently eating less, I still don’t have enough calcium, and all the co-factors…Who knows? My hair, nails and skin are much improved vs a very low carb plus fasting approach, but that may be the protein? I also can’t get enough Vit D from diet, but much sun in the summer.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-24-23 at 04:43.
  #539   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 06:17

BF:

Back in the day we used to eat more bones, is all I can figure. Because I'm a big dairy eater, and I STILL don't get enough.

I use bulk calcium citrate and magnesium citrate, taken away from food. Three times a day. Once a week, during a long stretch between meals, my big dose of D3/K2. I do eat a lot of Muenster cheese, but not every day. And my dairy is fortified, but I think it's still not enough.

I try to get out in sunlight. But I live north enough that I did get a sunbox for light treatments. I'll get that going again as it gets nippier out there. Plenty of sun, but soon I'll have to bundle up. I drag my feet about it both for health reasons, and my own super-sensitivity to heat. Which might be what makes me actually enjoy the weather when it's "bracing!"

I think in an ideal world we wouldn't have gone long stretches without good nutrients, and I know we all have. In which case, it only makes sense to do whatever is best for our health, synergistically. It's why vegans don't do the nut casserole work, and have turned to UPF the same way so many other "secrets" do. That alone makes me suspicious.

I eat whole foods, allowing for processing like butter and whey protein and sausage from a local farm. But it's a lot of work, and seemingly more expensive, because our food bills aren't nibbles several times a day. It's a sudden big expense with a lot of work involved there, too.

We've gotten better about pacing ourselves with the freezer and sales to cut down on waste. Each of us cooks and tracks our own fresh purchases. This is a galaxy away from the way most people live, voluntarily or otherwise. The time involved is usually couple time, which helps because we can coordinate and we enjoy being together.

But it's not how people eat now. It's not enough for people to know how they should eat. We have to pull the UPF back and deli-type meals and products are the first place we should start. Like the fridge meals at my big supermarket. Some of them are about as good as any beginner cook, others have lots of UPF, though they can look the same.

My favorite is slab of fish and a side of buttered veggies, in the microwave, easy as anything from the frozen section. More of that is what we need.
  #540   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-23, 06:57

And to sum up all the new Nutrient Seriies:
Unlocking the Power of Nutrient-Dense Foods: Your Guide to Optimal Nutrition
https://optimisingnutrition.com/nutrient-dense-foods-2/

The following have links to support each benefit, which did not copy. I did add the one for Bone Health

New Infographics for the most nutrient dense meats, seafood, vegetables, fruit, dairy…and FAQs:

…let’s touch on a few common questions about nutrient-dense foods.

Nutrient-dense foods offer a wide array of health benefits.

Disease-fighting: Nutrient-dense foods are often health-promoting and disease-fighting. They can reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Weight management: Nutrient-dense foods are usually lower in calories and higher in protein and fibre, helping to maintain a healthy weight and support your weight loss goals.

Enhanced energy levels: Nutrient-dense foods provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support energy production and overall vitality.

Tailoring Your Nutrient-Dense Diet to Suit Your Goals
You can tailor nutrient-dense foods to support specific health conditions:

Heart health: Fatty fish are excellent for omega 3 to support your cardiovascular system.

Diabetes management: Non-starchy vegetables, meat and seafood help stabilise blood sugar. In our Macros Masterclass, we guide Optimisers to dial in their carbohydrate intake to achieve healthy blood glucose stability.

Bone health: Foods rich in calcium and protein, such as dairy products and leafy greens, are critical for your bones. https://www.bonehealthandosteoporos...-for-Your-Bones [great list of Bone Healthy foods, note that many are restricted on Low Carb diets or over the years, many of us restricted carb or calorie intake to the point our Nutrition suffered]

Digestion: Nutrient-dense foods are typically high in fibre, providing digestive benefits and promoting satiety for many.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-01-23 at 07:34.