Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 12:47

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The baking thing has been happening here too. People I know have been celebrating the amount of flour or rice that they've been buying, or the bread that they've been baking every day, since lockdown began...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 19:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
In my house, just keeping up with meal prep for two teens is a challenge, leaving no time for baking. Besides there are no bags of flour on the shelves....some one is buying them up! Ive the ingredients for a LC cake, topped with berries and whipping cream, for nearly a week with no time to bake.....

Oddly enough, every time I go to Aldi, they seem to have plenty of flour. I haven't noticed whether or not they have a limit on it though, since they've been limiting anything that's low supply or high demand. Granted, they only have white, all purpose flour - no bread flour, no whole wheat, etc, and they bring this flour out by the pallet full (no unpacking and putting it on shelves), so there could be a few factors affecting it's availability, when other stores have no flour.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 09:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

The latest blog post from Zoe Harcombe inspired by Dr Aseem Malhotra and “Doughnut-gate”

Fat shaming or life saving

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2020/05...or-life-saving/
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 10:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Great article, Demi. Perfect for reading & boosting my resolve just before going out on my semi-monthly grocery shopping trip.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 11:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Great article, Demi. Perfect for reading & boosting my resolve just before going out on my semi-monthly grocery shopping trip.
I still have plenty of resolve, and I'm very careful about what foods are even allowed in the house! But I'm still well up in the "danger" zone for Covid. Ive been trying for 11 years to break my weight stall, so doubt I can do it overnight during these trying times. I assume I'll die if I get Covid, I'm doing my best to stay self-isolated.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 13:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
The latest blog post from Zoe Harcombe inspired by Dr Aseem Malhotra and “Doughnut-gate”

Fat shaming or life saving

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2020/05...or-life-saving/

My frustration is that NOBODY should be eating this junk. The focus here was to point out our health care workers have obedity issues; they also have a high percent of smokers.

My frustration extends to bringing dozens of donuts to school events, church events, boy scout events....... donuts are a cultural norm. No one brings a bag of apples..... it must be donuts.

And make sure the children are well oriented to become donut eaters for life.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, May-12-20 at 11:12.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 16:14

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I still have plenty of resolve, and I'm very careful about what foods are even allowed in the house! But I'm still well up in the "danger" zone for Covid. Ive been trying for 11 years to break my weight stall, so doubt I can do it overnight during these trying times. I assume I'll die if I get Covid, I'm doing my best to stay self-isolated.

I can't recall at the moment which doctor's video I heard it from, that some obese people grow lots of new fat cells for storage and thus remain metabolically healthy while many other people's fat cells don't multiply, just get too full and become inflamed/die. Speculation on my part obviously since we've never met but perhaps you may belong to the former group rather than the latter. Which could explain your body's disinterest in leaving its present plateau, that is, many fat cells storing normal/healthy amounts of fat (which won't do well with striving constantly to be chronically under-filled). Unlike the person with fewer unhealthily overfilled cells needing to reduce their contents down to reach normal non-inflammatory levels of storage, who would probably end up appearing much thinner if they succeed considering their fewer number of cells. My understanding from the video is the former person is much more likely to be metabolically healthy despite large physical size than the latter even if they're relatively thin looking on the outside (thin outside fat inside: TOFI). Please don't be discouraged if you can help it! I still suspect you're a lot healthier and more resistant to illness than it may seem!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 09:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My frustration is that NOBODY should be eating this junk. The focus here was to point out our health care workers have obedity issues; they also have a high percent of smokers.
I had a friend once who was a nurse, and also a smoker. She said she never smoked until she became a nurse. But of course the hospital didn’t want smoking around the patients. So if you were a smoker you were given a 10-minute break every hour to go outside and have a cigarette 🚬. If you didn’t smoke then you were not allowed to take any breaks.

So virtually every nurse took up smoking so they could get that 10-minute break. Talk about the law of unintended consequences. 😱
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 10:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
So virtually every nurse took up smoking so they could get that 10-minute break. Talk about the law of unintended consequences. 😱

Amazing how people "adapt" and the law of unintended consequences includes the one that likely populated this forum: low fat, high carb recommendations to avoid heart disease . . . . . . . .

Doughnuts, yes we spelled it that way in New England until Mr. Donut and Dunkin Donut became popular. There were many local doughnut shops that flourished in communities until the previously mentioned franchises became so popular with people on their ways to work. Stop in for a coffee and a sweet treat. Do it every day and as you age, and health becomes fragile. The breakfast of champions. Amazing that a publicity stunt to feed healthcare workers is perceived so differently by many. Some consider it charity, some consider it hastening death. I'm with the latter group, and Malhotra's and Harcombe's reactions have my full support.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, May-12-20 at 12:28.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 11:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

Wow...... and yet the hospitals dont alter this to improve the health of their main staff..... Goes to show hospitals are a business first.

A side note: watched a youtube video last night where lc donut recipes were compared. None looked yummy enough to swap with our current chocolate/coconut flour recipe my whole family loves.