Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 14:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I would try freezing the sour cream but I need it to make a dish. Check the J to see for what

Let me know if you do it, I would like to know if it works OK but the taste is really what I'm wondering about too.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 23:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I have been having an "internet interlude", which has been annoying. But, although not being able to report here, I have been eating down the freezer. I made a couple of dinners with sausages from the freezer. And tonight I made a seafood chowder with TJ's frozen seafood mix. Have also used TJ's frozen cauliflower gnocchi a few times as a side dish. The only thing in the herb garden that is useful at the moment is sage; sage leaves frizzled in hot butter on top of the gnocchi is quite nice.
And, of course, in the present circumstances, the freezer "pantry" is a good thing. Having a decent supply of frozen butter, and a newly discovered local farmer with free range eggs, makes me feel quite comfortable in the present "lock down" state. For the moment, anyway.
Stay well.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 00:01

BF:

I have now filled my new refrigerator's freezer over the past several weeks and even told DH that we need a small 5' chest freezer that has gotten pretty full now. This was after reading about everyone's freezers...

I managed to find ribeyes, strip steaks and t-bones in the $5 per lb. range at a couple of different stores on alternate weeks and froze them two to a pkg, getting it all well organized and marked with dates. I added a few pkgs of ground beef, lamb and chicken.

I froze a few cooked dishes after eating the other half and saving/freezing the rest for another day.

The herbs I have growing right now are bay leaves, Italian oregano, parsley and chives. I do have three flowering citrus trees right now and the air is heavy with perfume. Everything is blooming and the trees have put on new leaves, there is yellow pollen everywhere!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Mar-20-20 at 00:33.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 12:00

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

The freeze on my fridge isn't that big, and once stuff filters to the bottom it's easy to forget about. I spent a little while this afternoon going through some of it. I have a shipment coming from US Wellness Meats and I needed to make some room in the freezer. I have stuff in there from 2018 apparently! And some is undated so no clue how long it's been there. Some things I ended up tossing. I took out some ground bison meat and some sausages to defrost for later. Way down at the bottom of the pile I found another corned beef I wasn't even aware of. Maybe I should defrost that too.

I found some frozen bacon-egg-cheese sandwiches on cauliflower/almond crusts from Real Simple in there. I'm Carnivore these days so I took them out, tossed the cauli/almond crust, and just nuked the bacon. egg and cheese. Not too bad for my lunch.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 20:07

BF:

My internet access has been even more spotty of late than before, but we, yesterday, finally were able to change our provider, so maybe things will be better now. At any rate, though I haven't been able to mention it, I have ben eating from both the freezer and the pantry.
Yesterday I pulled out, from the freezer, a package each of ground beef & ground pork, as well as a small pack of pork liver; my intent was to make meatloaf today. DH on the other hand still had leftovers from his yesterday noodle casserole for today's dinner, and was planning to visit one of our local restaurants for take out tomorrow (for their financial well being, and because he likes their food). So instead I used what I had to make a big pot of meat sauce for "pasta". I used the defrosted meat, as well as (home) canned tomatoes from the pantry, tomato paste, some bone broth from the pantry, and various herbs from my spice shelf.
For my dinner I poached 2 eggs in the newly made sauce, and topped w/Parmesan cheese. The sauce is quite useful for many applications, so I will keep it in the fridge. If it lasts longer than anticipated it will go in the freezer.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 07:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I took some ground beef out of the freezer and used it to make a big pot of Neanderthin Chili, which should keep me going for a day or two

I also had some rhubarb, so took that out and roasted it with ginger.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I took some ground beef out of the freezer and used it to make a big pot of Neanderthin Chili, which should keep me going for a day or two

I also had some rhubarb, so took that out and roasted it with ginger.

Is that just rhubarb sprinkled with powdered ginger and roasted, or is it more than that? You have reminded me that I have some frozen rhubarb too, I think.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 15:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've been keeping the freezer at a pretty steady state. At least things are getting rotated.

I finally finished some berries from August ( ). A little freezer burnt, but still edible. I had some beef in its juice for lunch yesterday. We're having chicken curry tonight, and I'll have leftover curry sauce to freeze to make saag paneer maybe next week - I want to use up the frozen brick of spinach that's been there for gawd-knows-how-long. Yesterday, I made chicken souvlaki and there's likewise enough leftover sauce (the cooked marinade) to save for another time.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 02:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Is that just rhubarb sprinkled with powdered ginger and roasted, or is it more than that? You have reminded me that I have some frozen rhubarb too, I think.
It's just rhubarb with fresh ginger, but I'm sure powdered ginger would work too.

I follow the method of roasting in this recipe, and in place of the sugar, I use chopped ginger.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 05:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Made red thai curry for dinner , for the family. From the freezer: turkey, cubed banana squash, chili peppers, sweet peppers, ginger root, cilantro, garlic.

oh and a pc of jicama! freeze dried but still good for the inulin or other food for the gut .

kale is freezer burned, my bad, sooooo.....a treat fir the chickens.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
It's just rhubarb with fresh ginger, but I'm sure powdered ginger would work too.

I follow the method of roasting in this recipe, and in place of the sugar, I use chopped ginger.

Thanks Demi, that sounds great! England has the best rhubarb recipes! I even have some "fresh" ginger in the pantry: fresh, peeled ginger covered with vodka keeps for ages (with better texture than frozen, IMO). I'll probably have to make 2 smaller baking dishes & use sweetener for DH; he likes rhubarb, but not "as is".
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 18:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, well if vodka is good, my brain runs right to trialing rum. lol

rum and ginger !!

Freezer. Removed pkg pork chop and pkg hamburger. Made lc chili with burger.
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 18:20

BF:

I had hot wings "from the freezer" and dipped them in blue cheese dressing with a little Franks Hotsauce.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 18:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
lol, well if vodka is good, my brain runs right to trialing rum. lol

rum and ginger !!

Freezer. Removed pkg pork chop and pkg hamburger. Made lc chili with burger.

You're right, light rum works nicely too. Dark rum has too much flavor of it's own IMO.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 19:01

BF:

What are we doing with Rum? I have three bottles from friends who do custom mixes. They've got a lot of sugar in them though!