Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-14, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Welcome Janeq! ccotta said what I would say too -- although I do control calories because I'm diabetic--but carbs first! Look at all those great fats she listed! And I add nuts and seeds to the mix, in small amounts, to stay full.

Cotta -- do you eat tofu? I thought adding tofu bits or a soft variety into your casserole might bulk it up and give you protein -- I think I'll try it!

Mama Sebo, how much do you limit calories? I do eat tofu once in a while. I love it but was told by naturopathic doctors to avoid due to issues it has with affecting thyroid health.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-14, 16:54
Registered Member

BF:

Anyone who wants to experiment with a yummy cottage cheese casserole it goes something like this (I don't follow an exact recipe):

~16 oz. small curd cottage cheese
~1/2 to 1 cup walnut pieces. Pecans are also good.
~sautee 1-2 garlic cloves diced (sometimes I use dehydrated to save time on both garlic and onion)
~sautee onion (1/2 onion)
~Beef or onion bouillon seasoning packet (I use McKay's vegetarian "beef" seasoning)
~1 stick of butter melted (can use less if limiting cals)
~3-4 eggs (add last)
~7 cups of Special K cereal--obviously need to leave this out or sub something as mentioned above

Bake in oven at 400 degree until toasty brown. It tastes good with gravy or even mushroom soup.

I've been really busy lately and haven't tried the good suggestions I received earlier. I need to get my apron on this weekend.

Last edited by ccotta : Sat, Mar-29-14 at 17:02.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 06:29

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotta
Mama Sebo, how much do you limit calories? I do eat tofu once in a while. I love it but was told by naturopathic doctors to avoid due to issues it has with affecting thyroid health.

I think you do have to be very careful with tofu if you have certain hormone issues because of the isoflavones (is that right? I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV!! ), lots of estrogen???? There are many people here on the boards that are very anti-tofu. I do eat it, but not a lot. I also replace it with paneer, indian cheese. Equally yummy, or more to to many people.

I limit calories a lot right now, I'm still recovering from a diabetic crash in December, which resulted when i got a very bad influenza. I was medically evacuated from where I live, and my goal was to get cleared to get back to my family ASAP. I limited my calories to 500 per day -- two high protein shakes, one for breakfast and one for dinner, which I added stuff to, like flax seed and vanilla essence, so that they were better nutrition and tastier, then at lunch I'd have loads of veggies, cooked or in a HUGE salad. (I follow Fuhrman), and within one week I had my blood sugar numbers in hand, and within one month I was able to return home -- when i was evacuated they said it would be 3 to 6 months before my system would be stable. Now I am pushing to loose weight and try to get off the medication, which could threaten my long term clearance to be here and do the job that i do. I'm at about 1000 calories per day, still one high protein shake per day and two meals of about 400 calories each. Carbs are all from beans or veggies, raw or cooked. Lots of micronutrients, but limited to a teaspoon each -- like the pumpkin seeds and flax seeds, etc. a couple of times a week I have a little bit of fish, or tofu or feta cheese, or an apple with peanut butter.... I exercise twice a day, but its mainly walking, biking, kayaking, not a weightroom.

The cottage cheese casserole sounds excellent -- I will pass the recipe on to my DH, our house chef.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 06:12

Ccotta -- here's some of the argument against soy, right along with your doc:

Soy also depletes and interferes with iodine levels. Iodine comes from foods like seaweed and wild fish. Since a vegetarian diet doesn’t include fish and is usually high in soy, vegetarians can quickly run into imbalances that affect the delicate thyroid gland. Thyroid health is so important for a robust metabolism, as well as for maintaining lean muscle mass and day-to-day energy.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 21:41
Registered Member

BF:

Good luck Mama S with your health push! Glad to hear your diabetes was brought back under control quickly. My dad has diabetes (he's 69 and was diagnosed a few years ago). I am trying to get him to limit carbs to under 50 g a day. I think it would help. You find that calorie limitation is essential? He has it somewhat under control and doesn't take insulin, but his numbers are still higher than they should be (maybe 120s?).

I am having a hard time giving up soy--I did for awhile but have started eating it again. It's a tasty protein source! I do need to watch it due to borderline thyroid problems.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 21:45
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, tried the cottage cheese casserole with pork rinds (sorry this is on the veg board! I don't usually eat it, but it was available and I wanted something!). Anyway it was gross, and I ended up throwing it out. Bummer. Maybe I'll just save it for the occasional cheat meal.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 23:12

Well, good to know! Pork rinds truly do nothing for me. I am happy that I can eat all types of fresh cheese, from cottage to ricotta, halloumi and paneer, without stalls etc. I also enjpoy and depnd upon soy. One of my other go-tos is peanut butter (can't get any other nut butters here) but I have to e meticulous about portions. Wonderful variety of pulses available here, beans lentils peas of all kinds or shapes and sizs. Yesterday we had a lentil, a dal, wich was very tiny, then when cooking puffed up to the size and shape of a small barleycorn, absolutely delicious, and a wonderfully firm, fullfilling consistency. DH made it with some veggies chopped into it, and a lovley fresh chili from the garden. Fresh chili has an extraordinary....freshness!! fair winds and great eating!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 08:28

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 200/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

HI Ladies - am still here - not quite ready , but near the starting line by the week after Easter - have been feasting on chocolate and sugar - have to cut it out completely due to uncontrollable cravings so not looking forward to May that much!! I blitz silken tofu into veggie soup - it gives and amazing texture. I expect Japanese can eat a lot of soy and not suffer thyroid issues because they also eat a lot of seaweed - so add that to your food and voila! balanced!!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Janeq. There are a ton of chocolate, low carb desserts around. One site I love is DJ Foodie. I also like Healthy Indulgences. I apologize if I already posted that...
  #40   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 09:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am a vegan doing a LC diet. I was just counting calories, but i found that the food does not stick and you are hungry in about an hour max. Yesterday was my wake up call, I ended up overdoing it at dinner because i was just too hungry. I know that LC has always worked for me before so it should this time too.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:

Were you vegan last time you did low carb jmh? Can you add more fat?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 09:41

BF:

I am ashamed to say that I took the easy way out for awhile and started eating meat. It is easier in some ways, but I have decided that vegetarian low carb is best. I have been more tired lately, I just have to be careful and keep my carbs to about 20. I am carb sensitive and anything above that seems to stall me. Had my BPC already this morning. I use Coconut Cream and Natural Peanut butter and Toriani Chocolate SF Syrup. Absolutely delicious. I am going to have to tweak and fine tune my eating plan
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 08:08
Registered Member

BF:

I am always tweaking. It's been tough lately because I am on a 5 week holiday to visit family. I am definitely up, about 6 pounds since we are eating out a lot. I am now upping my exercise and trying to limit any carby meals to be eaten in one hour per day (like Carbohydrates Addict's Diet suggests). That is helping me maintain where I am now, but no losing. It's a constant battle!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 22:11

BF:

The Veggie thread doesn't seem to move. LOL

I gave up on vegetarian for awhile but I know I need to get back to it. Meat and animal products are just too hard on my joints and the inflammation and pain is really bad.

There are a few vegan lowcarb books out there, but I thought I would just research on the internet. So far the last couple of days have been good.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 19:47

Hi JMH, thanks for bring this back up to the top of the list, hope you can find what you need, I'd be a happy vegan elsewhere on the planet, but here in Tanzania its hard to get/grow low GI veggies year round. I love my protein sources. Dried beans cooked in coconut milk is a current favorite which Would be acceptable to a vegan--but pretty high GI. Well, all the best, and I hope to see more life here..