Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 16:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Just want to say... kind of have to agree with Mary about the OWL being easier than the maintenance (at this point anyway)
I've been at goal 3 1/3 weeks and I'm a wreck trying to get the right combo to work for me. Have eaten some of the wrong carbs (bread, sugar) and panic at weigh in each AM. So far the scale is the same but its stressful anyway.
Seems once I start on the carbs.... one thing leads to another.... and then I'm eating something I had no intentions of eating and wouldn't have considered before! But luckily, no lingering cravings.... do a couple low carb days and all is well.

I think the "cheats" are more psychological than actual physical craving and just need to learn to deal with it differently. I always loved my sweets and now that I've reached goal.... I tell myself I deserve to have a little something.

Well, I'm rambling here so......

Anybody have any thoughts on this????

Ellie

Last edited by EllieEats : Tue, Apr-23-02 at 16:11.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 10:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Maintenance shouldn't be frustrating. If you approach it in the most postive of ways, it becomes a dance.

Ever monitoring, ever counting, ever watchful.... up a pound and then down, give and take. Guess that's what they refer to when they say "way of life". Once you find the "rhythm" that maintenance has, you win. It's when you stop watching, that the weight comes back.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Sponge,

I know you're right...... it's just so hard trying to work out the magic formula again.

This morning I found myself 3.5 pounds over what I had been.... obviously somethings not working. Back to my OWL menu for a little bit and then I'll try again.

I'll keep working at it til I get it right!! Thanks for responding!

Ellie
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

that's my point. You don't have to 'try hard'. It isn't necessary to micro-manage in Maintenance the way it was in OWL.

The less intensity you apply, the more you will achieve. You already "know" the "secret" to living a healthy life where you and your fork are concerned. Add to that the fact that your weight will never be constant day to day.

Maintenance isn't about maintaining the same weight, it's about not gaining back what you worked so hard to lose.

Establish a weight range that you feel comfortable in. When you see yourself going to the high end of that range, take a bit of action. Otherwise, enjoy life.