Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-11, 09:16

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Yesterday she posted a recipe from "hungry girl", a weight watcher-freindly cupcake recipe. *sigh*. I cant help but think, hey hungry girl, if you ate healthy, you wouldnt be so hungry.

heh, I actually caught an episode of Hungry Girl's cooking show on tv, and I was thinking the same thing! She made these little fruit pies of apples with sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, etc., with store-bought eggroll wrappers as the shell. Gosh, how could anyone possibly be hungry after eating that low-fat, essentially protein-free snack?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 17:06

Plan: not one specifically
Stats: 123/113/105 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all - first post here. my hubby was just diagnosed with diabetes (type 2 I guess, no insulin) he is on glucophage once per day. he can't do high-fat because he has a horrible family history of heart disease (no male on his dads side of the family has lived over the age of 59, all died of massive heart attacks) but his mom's side of the family all huge diabetics, and that's what his mom died from. anyway so I told him I would of course make this lifestyle change with him. A little background on us - I am 5'2" he is 6'2",when we started 5 weeks ago, I weighed 123, he weighed 210. we workout regularly, running and lifting weights. since we started he's lost almost 25 lbs and I've lost 9. before this, we ate LOW FAT, LOW CALORIE everything! 100 calorie packs, reduced fat chips ahoy...you name it we ate it if it was low cal low fat. obviously I wouldn't say "diabetes is the best thing that ever happened to us" but wow what a difference this diet (lifestyle) has made for both of us. however, I do'nt know enough about the low carb options or how many carbs we should have every day (him specifically since he's the one with the diagnosis) since there are so many different LC diets. We tried atkins once and had a hard time during the induction phase of less than 20grams per day. I am right around 50-60 per day right now, he is probably around the same. Any advice anyone here could give us would be great and much appreciated. thanks.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 17:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 367/255/200 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Jeep44 -

Carbs are the enemy of diabetics, that's what turns into glucose in the body. My research into low carb diets is that even though you are consuming a lot of fat, that doesn't work the same way in a ketogenic diet as it does in a standard high carb diet. The fat is merely a fuel that your body uses. Carbs get used before fats, so when you limit your carbs and feed your body fats, you're actually giving yourself fuel.

Stay away from the grains and processed sugars, get your carbs from natural souces such as vegetables and berries.

I'm not sure what the ideal weight for either of you is, but it would sound to me that you're getting very close. Up the carbs if you don't need to lose anymore weight, but just make sure its from the right sources. If the fasting blood sugars look good the morning after introducing a new food, he's going in the right direction.

Also, I would suggest to have your husband go back to the doctor in the next 2-3 weeks to get an updated blood test, since he's been on the diet for almost 2 months by then and lost some weight.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 17:28

Plan: not one specifically
Stats: 123/113/105 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you - his doctor isn't having him come back in for a follow up until august, I thought that was kind of a long time. he's feeling good, but he's even concerned about the pounds dropping so quickly - he's very thin for 6'2. we eat alot of meat and veggies, no pasta, no bread, no desserts. we do get sf pudding once in awhile or a sf candy but not every day. we do'nt have a glucometer at home but i could get one for him. now that i've had a taste of easy weight loss I'm addicted and do not want to go back to the way we ate before, not even a little bit. I'm sure we'll have our cheats once in awhile but that's it. thanks again for the advice!

p.s.regarding fat, he does get fat from steak, cheese, etc. but I just didn't want him to do all fat all the time. now that I know it's not as bad as I thought, then I'll have him add a little more to his diet. thank you.

Last edited by Jeep44 : Mon, Jun-06-11 at 17:30. Reason: added p.s.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 07:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 194/159/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks for this thread. My cousin's VA dietician has him eating whole wheat bread etc. I told him that the glycemic index of some of the stuff he was eating was ridiculous and the dietician was killing him. He finally said he was going to give up bread and potatoes for two weeks to see if it helped his blood sugar. The man is 360 pounds with blood sugar readings in the 300's. I hope he sees quick results. I directed him to the South Beach Diet because I think his dietician and diabetes doctor will probably not argue with the approach.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 09:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep44
Thank you - his doctor isn't having him come back in for a follow up until august, I thought that was kind of a long time. ... we do'nt have a glucometer at home but i could get one for him.

You might want to check out Dr. Bernstein's site:

http://www.diabetes-solution.net/

Who literally "wrote the book" on controlling diabetes with low carb eating; I'm sure he can be an excellent resource for your husband.

And why on earth does he NOT have a glucose meter? They give them away! I can't believe his doctor isn't telling him to "eat to his meter." That's the simplest and best advice of all.