Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 11:43

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Philadelphia Cooking Creme

My apologies if this isn't in the right folder. The recipe section of this forum is beautifully organized, but this is more of a basic ingredient question.

Have you bought this stuff? Have you used it?
http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/Pages/default.aspx

I can't figure out what it really is and how to use it as a substitute. I don't know if it's meant to be used in place of cream in a recipe or cream cheese - or, are those two items so similar that this could be used to replace both?

Per 1/4 cup: 110 calories, 80 fat calories, 9g fat, 4g protein and 3 carbs (0 fiber)

I've bought 8 of them as the store has had them on sale, and after using a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon together, they cost me all of .50 for each 10 oz. tub.

I am curious about it because a) there may be an opportunity to continue buying this stuff cheap and b) most of the tubs I bought this week have an expiration date in June, meaning it lasts a bit longer in the fridge than normal cream.

How would you/have you used this stuff?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 12:47

Plan: Atkins/hcg/CNS/Diabetic
Stats: 305/288/220 Female 5'7"
BF:Try, try again!
Progress: 20%

No, but I just saw it at the store for the 1st time the other day. I do not know what's in it-just saw it on the shelf. Check the web site-they usually have recipes and nutritionals.

Last edited by mirinblue : Tue, Mar-01-11 at 13:12.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 12:49

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I took one look at the list of 'ingredients' and put it back on the shelf. It has a lot of the 'frankenfoods' I won't eat in anything else either. Thanks Kraft, but I'll just make my own. I'm not a goody two shoes 'purist' and don't want to come across like that, but eating 'unnatural' stuff undid my progress in my early LC'ing and now that I've been maintaining for over eight years....I'll just buy the good ol' cream cheese and go from there.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 12:50
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

It isn't a product I would use, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. It appears to be thickened skim milk. It contains starch and maltodextrin, which I try to avoid ... especially the starch.

Quote:
Pasteurized Nonfat Milk And Milkfat, Water, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cheese Culture, Salt, Tapioca Starch, Maltodextrin, Lactic Acid, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Sorbic Acid (As A Preservative), Natural Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate. Contains: Milk.

It has 110 calories and 3g carbs (from sugars) per 1/4 cup.

My choice would be to use heavy whipping cream, which has 205 calories and 1.66g carbs per 1/4 cup. JMO.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 13:48

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I agree - too many ingredients for me!! Depending on which texture any recipe called for I would use either cream cheese or double cream (heavy cream)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 21:48
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I saw this at the store today. It just looks like a duded-up version of cream cheese with a higher price tag.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 22:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just saw it advertised on TV with the past 7 days. Interesting but I am not interested. I pretty much have my low carb diet put together with whole foods and this cooking cream did not interest me as something I want or need in my lifestyle. BUT, that being said please don't let that stop you from trying it. I pretty much used everything under the sun that was low carb. That's what we all should do until we settle into a lifestyle that's been molded to our own personal likes.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 23:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

OK I may be flamed but I used it with chicken and it was great...not everyday nor every week....but it works for me a couple times a month..
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 06:05

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for responses, everyone.

Does anyone have a recipe for Alfredo sauce that doesn't use a ton of HWC? The one I use now yields about half a cup of heavy cream per serving.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: low-cal/low-carb
Stats: 271/115/115 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've never seen it.