Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-10, 09:57

Plan: CKD
Stats: 210/210/200 Male 6.3
BF:
Progress:
Default Thyroid surgery

Hi all. I am a newbie in this site. There are a lot of good information abou low carb. First of all i wanna thank the owner of this site.

I am 30 years old and 8 years ago i had a thyroid surgery. They took all of the thyroid. After that i gain a lot fat as u imagine. My face became bloated and this issue made me really depressed. Because of it i quit university in my country. 1 year after the surgery i began to fight with this fat issue. I began to train and lost a lot of fat after TSH, T3 and T4 comes normal. I used CKD ( cycilical ketogenic diet) and it helped me a lot. But i am always so afraid of being bulk.

Could someone help me how someone deal with gaining muscle and loosing fat ? I also want to learn what is the best diet for a person who hasn't got a throid. Thank u very much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-10, 12:57

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Very low carb diets may not be for you. There are scientific studies from the Broda Barnes foundation that those with thyroid disease and on meds need at least 30 carbs and 1500 calories a day so conversion of T4 into T3 can take place. I had my thyroid removed in Oct 09 and have successfully lost weight. What kind of meds are you on and what were your last labs with ranges? Currently I am on 175 mcg of Synthroid and 40 mcg of Cytomel and am optimized. My carbs range anywhere from 50 to 175 daily. I aim for my caloric and protein goal daily. I do not do well on very low carb-I actually retain water, feel sick and gain weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 03:31

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply Lisa. I use 2 tablets Levotirion everyday. Here is my blood test and checked it 10 days ago.

FT3 2.45 PG/ML
TSH 4.75 mIU/L
FT4 1.15 ng/dl
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980
Thanks for the reply Lisa. I use 2 tablets Levotirion everyday. Here is my blood test and checked it 10 days ago.

FT3 2.45 PG/ML
TSH 4.75 mIU/L
FT4 1.15 ng/dl

Do you have the lab ranges? Every lab is different. You want to see your FT4 midway of the range, FT3 in the upper 2/3 of range. The levotiron is a T4 med only-you many need the addition of T3 (Cytomel)-some of us have problems converting the T4 into T3.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 05:27

BF:
Progress:

Thanks again Lisa.. Maybe i need extra additional T3 (Cytomel). How can i learn if i need extra T3 ? Is there any other tests about it ? or is it ok just looking at the FT3 ?

Here are the lab ranges
FT3 (2.3 - 4.2) mine is 2.45
TSH (0.55 - 4.78) mine is 4.75
FT4 (0.74 - 1.50) mine is 1.15

Last edited by tyler1980 : Mon, Oct-11-10 at 05:55.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 08:50

BF:

Your T3 is definitely low and your TSH is high. I would schedule an appt with your doc and ask about adding Cytomel since your thyroid levels are off and you are experiencing hypo symptoms. Here's a good website with lots of info.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/#t4-only
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 11:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You'll probably have to search for a better than average doctor to get the T3 added. ND's are usually pretty good about it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 03:10

BF:
Progress:

Thank u for the answers. I visited my doctor today. Wow she said that I don't have a thyroid anymore because of that i don't need a t3 medicine because of the deficit of thyroid. She said only T4 medicine is ok for me.

I really wonder if it is true.. Maybe i have to go to another doctor maybe prof...Any thoughts ?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 11:56

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Thank u for the answers. I visited my doctor today. Wow she said that I don't have a thyroid anymore because of that i don't need a t3 medicine because of the deficit of thyroid. She said only T4 medicine is ok for me.

I really wonder if it is true.. Maybe i have to go to another doctor maybe prof...Any thoughts ?

um, sorry but your current doctor is an id....uneducated person. T4 is the storage hormone and in the presence of ferritin (iron), good levels of B12 and vitamin D3 will convert to T3 which is the active hormone. T3 is what gives you energy, moist skin, nails that don't break, joints that don't ache and a brain without fog. once you are optimized with enough T3 then you also have a chance at losing weight (if that is a goal)

your doctor telling you that T3 is not needed because you have no thyroid is like the doctor telling a type 1 diabetic that only some of the insulin is needed because your pancreas doesn't work anyway.

check out top doctors site or the armour site to see if there is a doctor in your area that gets it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 12:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

Like I said, you'll have to find a better than average doctor. Your doctor is average (which means, rotten). Most are totally ignorant about treating hypothyroid correctly.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 02:24

BF:
Progress:

Thank u some much.. I am going to visit another doctor..I am going to inform u what he/she says about this situation..