Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Started HIIT - YIKES!!

I just started a whole new approach. I have switched to 4 meals a day. Changed from 2x a week total body lifting to 3x split routine. And changed from traditional cardio running to HIIT.

I did the first 4 x 30 second intervals. This was amazingly difficult. I was thinking 4 would be way easy. The first one got my attention and the fourth had me saying: "no way I could do 5". I have not done any "sprinting" (hey I was going as fast as I could - but slow-sprinting might be more accurate) in years. How fast will I adapt to this workout? I'm 46 years old. Is that too old for this kind of stuff?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 09:19

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

First, congratulations on what you've been doing and for taking on the HIIT. Second, no, you are not too old. No way! I'm 59 and have a few medical issues that limit me to low impact HIIT on my NordicTrack elliptical (which I respectfully call "The Terminator.") I've gotten such wonderful results with the HIIT that I will be starting strength training in the next week or two, depending on how soon I can get with a trainer.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 09:26

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

HIIT was really hard when I started and to tell you the truth, if you do it correctly by increasing time, it does not get any easier! The good news is, IT WORKS!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 19:01

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Try the HIT of 15 seconds on the 45s and and build up, finish what u can't get in HIT time with steady rate cardio that u can do. For sure only on none lifting days with the HIT of course.
I am going on 46 this year and I do them. You will get there no worries, but they are great. You know u busted some cells.

bu
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 15:05

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Yup, I'm 44 and HIIT what I do most often for my cardio. It works - burns more calories than anything else, and makes me know I'm alive (every breath is appreciated)! Just once a week then a good hike on the weekend, the rest is weight training for 1 hour 4 days a week. My shape is changing almost daily...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 00:48
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Gotta chime in here, too. I started true HIIT (15sec/45-50sec intervals) 2 weeks ago, and man it kicks my butt. But in a good way, I do it on my stationary bike, and I found my weekend mountain biking gettng a little easier because of it.

I just got my mom doing it......she's 58, and she has a love/hate relationship with it, too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 07:49

Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ok, I did the second day of 4x 30. It may have been a little easier. If the first day way say 10 on the difficult scale. The second was about 9.95! At least this time my jaw did not hurt. I guess I was so "stressed" when I was running I got tension in my jaw. How do you do 15 of these? I guess it is always just on the edge of what is possible.