Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 23:54

Plan: Body for life
Stats: 197/193/205 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy weight training

ok guys correct my mistake if you ever suspected one.
I ve been training for strength and power and to be able to lift heavier weights. Although I care less about the definition, but I wanted to melt my jelly (fat) in my stomach that was covering my abs..

Here it goes:
Monday- 2 mile jog
Tuesday- Chest/Tri/abs
BenchPress- 95 lbs. 15 reps, 105 lbs. 12 reps, 155 lbs. 4-6 reps, 170 lbs. 1-4 reps
DB Press- 40 lbs on each dumbbell about 10 reps
Tricep extension- 50 lbs. 15 reps, 70 lbs. 12 reps, 120lbs. 5 reps, 140lbs. 2 reps
Tricep Kickback (Dumbbell)- bout 15 lbs dumbbell 12 reps

Wednesday- 2 mile jog
Thursday- Bicep/shoulders/back/abs
EZ curl bar- 45 lbs. 12 reps, 60 lbs. 10 reps, 65 lbs. 8 reps, 75 lbs. 4-6 reps
Concentration curls- 20 lbs 12 reps
military press (dumbbell)- 30 lbs. 12 reps, 35 lbs. 10 reps, 40 lbs. 8 reps, 45 lbs. 4-6 reps
Front raisers- 15 lbs. 12 reps on each arm
lat pulldown- 90 lbs. 12 reps, 100 lbs. 10 reps, 120 lbs. 8 reps, 140 lbs. 3 reps
dumbbell row- 30 lbs 12 reps
Friday- Legs
Leg Press- 2 45's on each 12 reps, 3 45's 10 reps, 4 45's 8 reps, 5 45's 6 reps
Leg Extension-70 lbs 12 reps
Leg Curls- 50 lbs 12 reps, 65 lbs 10 reps, 75 lbs 8 reps, 100 lbs 3-6 reps
Calf Raisers- 150 lbs 12 reps, 180 lbs 10 reps, 220 lbs 8 reps, 290 lbs 6 reps

Thats all and most likely, I dont feel sore after those workouts. Correct my mistake if you guys know. I am trying to build strength and power, some definition.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 11:16

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Your workout looks good. I don't think you really need any corrections, but I'll share a couple of things with you that you can consider if you like.

I would drop the kickbacks and add that set to my bench press. Substitute triceps extensions with some close grip bench occasionally too.

Drop the concentration curls and bring in some heavy, low rep, dumbbell curls and/or some barbell curls.
Drop the front raises and add those sets to your military presses, or learn the dumbbell/barbell snatch.

Don't be afraid to work up to doing pull-ups in place of pull-downs and some deadlifting. Deadlifting will be good for developing legs, back, biceps and core.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 19:05

BF:
Progress:
Default no sore not tired

ok the real thing why i posted my workouts is cuz i dont feel sore and tired after my workout. why?? I heard that sore is not an indication of growing, yet i heard it is. some ppl get sore but unlike me, well sometimes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 19:42

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Instead of the leg press, and extensions; basically instead of machine work for your lower body (and upper too...IMHO,) why don't ya learn how to do squats (NOT on the machine! with the BAR!)???? They will make you stronger and are better as a whole body exercise than anything you could do on a machine. Deadlifts are great for your entire body, too. Learn these 2 lifts, do them well, and I guarantee you will get strong and be sore.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 19:43

BF:

By the way, The squat rack is the large metal frame that holds the bar, that no one at the gym is ever using...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 01:00

BF:
Progress:
Default safety belt

would u recommend wearin a safety belt?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 13:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman
would u recommend wearin a safety belt?

No. If you're keeping your core nice and strong by holding your abs tight and keeping a good arch and strong back, you don't need one. And if you're not keeping good form anyway, a belt won't do any good and you will hurt yourself. No one i lift with wears a belt. The only times i have seen belts used is during competitions, and people at the gyms who are wearing them cuz they don't know what they're for (like, for rows, and while on the treadmill and ridiculous stuff like that...)
Belts could actually be detrimental to your lifting. You need to teach your body proper form (which will make you a stronger lifter,) on it's own, without the use of an aid. Concentrating on proper form is a big part of strength training, and you don't need a piece of fabric assistance. As long as you don't lift more than you are capable of, safely (without breaking form,) you will be fine.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 01:27

BF:
Progress:
Default shoulder press

you kno wat? in mil presses, sometimes i dont get da form rite cuz i didnt realized that i arched my back on my seat.. It feels good though in my shoulders. one more thing, how do i increase my exercises? Example, my max fo bench is 170 lbs. ANy ideas how to strengthen it?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 02:14

BF:

Quote:
in mil presses, sometimes i dont get da form rite cuz i didnt realized that i arched my back on my seat.. one more thing, how do i increase my exercises? Example, my max fo bench is 170 lbs. ANy ideas how to strengthen it?

Do you mean you're sitting down while doing the military press? If that's what you mean, and the chair back is what your arching against, you could try them standing up; this would allow you to use your core to full effect during the exercise. If you want to keep sitting, i would suggest paying very close attention to NOT letting your lower back break. But, why sit during an exercise when you can stand? IMO, stabilization is better while standing.
How do you increase exercise?....well, i don't bench press; the only powerlifts I do are squats and deadlifts. But the way to increase strength is the same. Vary your rep scheme around your 1 rep max. There isn't anything keeping you from adding to your 170 except time and an unchanging rep scheme.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 02:53
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Quote:
ok guys correct my mistake if you ever suspected one.
I ve been training for strength and power and to be able to lift heavier weights. Although I care less about the definition, but I wanted to melt my jelly (fat) in my stomach that was covering my abs..
Thats all and most likely, I dont feel sore after those workouts. Correct my mistake if you guys know. I am trying to build strength and power, some definition.
Hello demo,

One important issue is that melting fat and building muscle are two different goals and need a different approach.

Fat meltdown on the belly: Mainly diet and some cardio (what you do jogging seems enough to me)

Muscle&strength: Build muscle with heavy weights and few reps. No more than 45 min training, no more than 2 or 3 days.

Fat meltdown at the belly can be a frustrating long proces, but people get there eventually
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 09:43

BF:
Progress:
Default rep scheme?

hey lilli what is this rep schme ur talkin bout?
like unchanging rep scheme???
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 12:04

BF:

Quote:
hey lilli what is this rep schme ur talkin bout?
like unchanging rep scheme???

I'll explain: when you lift, your body adjusts to what you are doing in a matter of weeks (sometimes sooner. there is a lot of confusing strength-gain issues that go into every single workout too, but I won't even go into that- if I could.)
If you don't change the structure around which you perform each lift, you will not make the type of gains you want to. For example, If I am deadlifting for 3 weeks straight, and my rep scheme is 10x3 at around 80% of my 1rm, at the third week (or somewhere in there), I will HAVE to change my rep set-up. This is because it is no longer challenging to me (even if it still feels hard....) At this point I:
A. Do a max effort lift in order to find out what my new max deadlift is, then:
B. change my rep scheme to 5x6 ~ 60-65% of my 1 rm.

That's only an example, and i hope it made sense. Basically, you have to vary what you do and how you do it to continue making good strength gains. There's a lot of interesting things you could do to improve- learn how to be more explosive (faster and stronger at the same time),- do a couple lifts every week or so for SPEED, rather than strength...The options for increasing strength are great.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
Hello demo,

One important issue is that melting fat and building muscle are two different goals and need a different approach.

Boy, do I wish weights alone would melt fat. If 50 heavy squats a day melted all the fat off my thighs, I'd be in heaven. Heck, at least the lifting DOES do a lot. I would've quit by now if I didn't look a heck of a lot better than before I started lifting (and I was actually quite thin then...I can't believe how little lean muscle i had!)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 23:22

BF:
Progress:
Default schedulle change

u see i plan to change my schedule each week and is dat ok?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 00:00

BF:

Quote:
u see i plan to change my schedule each week and is dat ok?

As long as it challenges you, i don't see why not.