Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Eades new book VS Atkins Induction - Insights

Ok, so NO I'm not posting in the wrong section. I am an Atkins "believer" - but I read a lot about different (and especially, complementary) WOE's. I have always been rather impressed with the Eades (Protein Power) - and find great similarity to Atkins. This weekend I bought their new book (the one about a 6 Week Cure).

I think it's great! And you know why? For ME, it pulls together the best tips from here on the Atkins board. It's very similar to "Induction". It uses two really helpful ideas - I read about "egg creams" here on this board (and used them) - as well as "the meat fast". Well this incorporates both of these tools and/or principles. In fact, I just see it as a refined, focused "Extended Induction" plan!

The basis of the idea is that you need to hit hard at losing (they have a very humorous background story about what prompted them to write the book), especially if you have a lot of increased "belly fat" and/or have a lot of stalls. The premise is 2 weeks of 3 "shakes a day" (egg creams more or less) and 1 low carb meal - at any meal of the day you want - then 2 weeks of pretty close to a "meat fast" - and then 2 weeks of "going up the rungs" as in Atkins. They state clearly also that if you have a lot to lose, just cycle the program - 1 week on shake plan followed by 1 week on meat plan until you begin to get close to where you want to be (extended induction).

The shakes are simple - Cream, water, stevia/splenda, protein powder (i use Biochem unflavored), l-leucine (read up on it) powder, ice. Then they give a lot of recipes for flavors - and suggest adding an egg (especially for women). They have recipes - which we here on Atkins really don't "need" (we can easily convert once you see that their menus for the first two weeks are similar to induction - just with a bit of low carb fruit perhaps) - but some of the food is quite good.

So, for this last week I have tried it. I can't always do the 3 shakes a day (not hungry enough!) - But I've found that the Atkins Egg Cream lovers on here were really onto something! It works for me. I switch them up -- then in the evening, have a simple dinner (meat, small veg, salad, and i skip the fruit).

I've been on a stall - and result? Ive lost 3 pounds. I think this really just refines the Atkins Induction Phase SO WELL. It's a twist that I think is helpful for those that are stalled, or know (suspect?) they have Insulin Resistance. It helps with the "set point" theory as they point out - by swapping weekly plans, you change up the calorie contents - fooling your body and not letting it think you are "starving"....One more week on the shakes, and I'm onto the "mostly meat" phase - and will see what happens.

Atkins told me these tricks first -- this book just refined it, tweaked it, and put it together pretty nicely. It was a good read, and helped me really embrace the atkins concept, and the LC concept in general.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:

I wanted to add...I have continued using coconut oil (as many folks here on Atkins have suggested - i have good results) and not the oil suggested. I really like coconut oil - even my skin looks great.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Looking forward to the discussion. What are egg creams?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 08:49

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

What is the name of the book?
6-Week Cure?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 09:11

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra15
The shakes are simple - Cream, water, stevia/splenda, protein powder (i use Biochem unflavored), l-leucine (read up on it) powder, ice. Then they give a lot of recipes for flavors - and suggest adding an egg (especially for women).

Do you recall what their rationale was for starting with shakes vs. low-carb foods that could have the same carb/calorie count?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 12:27

Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

Allegra15, congrats on breaking your stall!! I also have no idea about using egg creams, are they like meal replacement shakes?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 07:35
Registered Member

BF:

Egg creams - a type of protein shake that lots of Atkins (and other low carbers use) - There are a bunch of threads out there. But I think this has a great basis. They suggest using an egg (same as egg creams - some lc-er's use 2 - but since 3 shakes a day are recommended, I think one is ok - depends on if it holds you over from getting hungry). I use Biochem unflavored whey - no taste. Add 1-2 T heavy cream. Scoop of protein. 2500 mcg of L-leucine (powdered but yo ucan open capsules) for lean muscle building (as they recommend) -- and then it calls for ice (as much as you like to make it the consistency you like - and about 2/3 cup of water. From there you flavor or enhance it as you like. Instead of water, use Diet Rite Orange soda (it's like a creamsicle - and made with splenda). Use decaf coffee (cold) instead and a shot of Davinci's hazelnut sugar free (splenda). The list goes on and on. The first one fills me up ok (breakfast) but the second on REALLY holds me over - in fact so much so that I can hardly drink the 3rd one. Then I eat a regular low carb meal - protein, light amount of salad and low carb vegetable. Like I mentioned, you can choose any meal of the day as your "real meal" (say if you prefer breakfast).

The book is the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle (Eades) - the same people who wrote Protein Power. Although I stick more to Atkins, PP is not too different (as I'm sure lots of you know) -- I just can't eat grains.

Their rationale which they spell out in medical terms is "de-toxing" and cleaning out your liver (for the first two weeks of shakes). You also are to ditch all caffeine (which I have), use few to no medications if at all possible (like acetaminophene) due to the load on the liver as it de-toxes. They stress upping your protein (the shakes make it easy). Keeping up the saturated fats (eat fat cuts/types of meat), don't eat processed food, etc.

Whatever the combo is, I lost another couple pounds again. I do exercise, but I always do that. They recommend smooth, slow weight training on an ongoing basis, but simply encourage you to walk, park your car far away etc -- practical stuff.

Like I said, this is for me a "refinement" of Induction ...I am going to continue on the 3 shakes/1 meal program for this week and next....and see where I am at.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 09:04

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Thanks. Do you recall what the total protein grams are per day for shake days?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 09:14

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

The protein varies by your body weight. Each shake is 1-3 scoops of powder and the powder should contain 18-22g protein. They suggest adding an egg, 2TBS cream, flavorings as you wish and other stuff like luecine and ribose. IIRC, its 2 scoops if you are under 188 pounds.

The one regular meal is a fairly normal low carb meal.

For me the shakes add up to about 190g just for the whey powder.

There is a group thread on this already - over a dozen people trying it.
See the other thread at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401343
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 11:22
Registered Member

BF:

You know, my point in posting this separately was because I originally posted it in the "Extended Induction" Atkins group - however it was moved by the moderators. (I don't think they read it in it's entirety) ...my point was not to just be "yet another reviewer" of this -- it was to compare it to Atkins Extended Induction - and inform those folks (on induction) that this (In My Opinion) is a nicely refined "Induction phase" that incorporates a TON of what I learned on the Atkins forums.

All kinds of Atkins Induction folks use the egg creams. I think a key is to keep the PROTEIN up in them (i.e. the Protein Powder). I personally do NOT use the Ribose. No need. I DO add the leucine (which I've not read on the Atkins board) - I researched and it makes sense and is worth a try. I don't think it would be the end of the world if you didn't add it but kept the rest on target.

Also like "extended Induction" on Atkins - i am hearing "try a 'meat fast' if you stall! Well this is exactly the same suggestion (weeks 3 and 4). They even say that.

And finally, if you have more to loose than what is in 6 weeks time --- they explain to "cycle" the weeks and how - Very similar once again to extending induction. However, I do think the cycling makes sense - we often read about not letting your body think it's "starving" and to cycle carbs or calories. This, again IMO, gives a little better guideline to those folks wanting to extend "Induction" in the Atkins world.

I personally stick to low/no grains (I struggle with them and they stall or cause me to outright gain) as well as I do minimal fruit -- much closer to Atkins. It works for me. I am very conscientious about a very good MultiVitamin -- this book gives some good "minimum guidelines" that i found helpful -- AS WELL AS stressing stressing stressing to keep your POTASSIUM up during this period (thru supplements as well as diet). I had been having some leg cramping during induction - Gone!

I really was hoping that this would be helpful to "Induction" folks....the light bulb came on for me as to how to refine it for those of us who stall or lose little to nothing -- if you're one of those lucky folks who are dropping 20-30 pounds in the 2-3 week Induction phase -- don't bother yet. But if you hit stalls...this is a great one to try again, IMO.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 11:48

Plan: Low Carbish
Stats: 169/152/135 Female 5'2" Age:81
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hmm, three shakes and a L/C meal. Why not just three Atkins shakes and a L/C meal I wonder???
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 17:57

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:

I don't know what is in the Atkins shakes, but I guess the advantage of making your own shakes is that you can tweak the ingredients to your liking.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 18:26
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

To the OP...

By any chance are you from the "other" LC forum where egg creams are the trendy thing of the moment?

You may want to peruse this thread if you have not already. This talks about the experiences both positive and negative of the 6WC for those members who did it back in the fall when the book came out.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401343

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 00:12

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra15
Egg creams - a type of protein shake that lots of Atkins (and other low carbers use) - There are a bunch of threads out there. But I think this has a great basis. They suggest using an egg (same as egg creams - some lc-er's use 2 - but since 3 shakes a day are recommended, I think one is ok - depends on if it holds you over from getting hungry). I use Biochem unflavored whey - no taste. Add 1-2 T heavy cream. Scoop of protein. 2500 mcg of L-leucine (powdered but yo ucan open capsules) for lean muscle building (as they recommend) -- and then it calls for ice (as much as you like to make it the consistency you like - and about 2/3 cup of water. From there you flavor or enhance it as you like. Instead of water, use Diet Rite Orange soda (it's like a creamsicle - and made with splenda). Use decaf coffee (cold) instead and a shot of Davinci's hazelnut sugar free (splenda). The list goes on and on. The first one fills me up ok (breakfast) but the second on REALLY holds me over - in fact so much so that I can hardly drink the 3rd one. Then I eat a regular low carb meal - protein, light amount of salad and low carb vegetable. Like I mentioned, you can choose any meal of the day as your "real meal" (say if you prefer breakfast).

The book is the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle (Eades) - the same people who wrote Protein Power. Although I stick more to Atkins, PP is not too different (as I'm sure lots of you know) -- I just can't eat grains.

Their rationale which they spell out in medical terms is "de-toxing" and cleaning out your liver (for the first two weeks of shakes). You also are to ditch all caffeine (which I have), use few to no medications if at all possible (like acetaminophene) due to the load on the liver as it de-toxes. They stress upping your protein (the shakes make it easy). Keeping up the saturated fats (eat fat cuts/types of meat), don't eat processed food, etc.

Whatever the combo is, I lost another couple pounds again. I do exercise, but I always do that. They recommend smooth, slow weight training on an ongoing basis, but simply encourage you to walk, park your car far away etc -- practical stuff.

Like I said, this is for me a "refinement" of Induction ...I am going to continue on the 3 shakes/1 meal program for this week and next....and see where I am at.

This method really sounds appealing as I like protein shakes. However, I cannot purchase the book atm as it is a hardcover and is a bit pricey.
I am doing phase 2 and have been on a plateau for weeks so this may do the trick for those last few pounds.

If I fully understand the shakes are made of cream, water 2 scoops of lc protein and flavour plus an egg? I can't purchase egg creams over here neither so would use Jarrow's protein powder.

2 a day plus a standard LC meal ?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 09:25

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
This method really sounds appealing as I like protein shakes. However, I cannot purchase the book atm as it is a hardcover and is a bit pricey.
I am doing phase 2 and have been on a plateau for weeks so this may do the trick for those last few pounds.

If I fully understand the shakes are made of cream, water 2 scoops of lc protein and flavour plus an egg? I can't purchase egg creams over here neither so would use Jarrow's protein powder.

2 a day plus a standard LC meal ?

There's a lot more to it than that. Check the book out of the library.