Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 01:48
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida was in my esophagus (see my pics)

Hey Everyone,

Hopefully my post will help someone who is, or might be suffering from Candida. For me, I had no idea I had Candida until I was 25 years old, but I suspect I had had it since I was a child. I had many symptoms of Candida, such as IBS, chronic fatigue, problems focusing, fuzzy headedness, cravings for yeasts and sugars, etc. But the one symptom I had that was above all others was bad breath. If it weren't for that symptom, I don't know if I would have ever known I had a Candida infection. Basically, this is my story below, the short version.

1. First became aware of my bad breath when I was about 7 or 8 years old (my father actually told me my breath was bad and taught me how to brush my teeth, a great father son bonding moment.:?) I didn’t pay much attention to it though cuz I was so young, and my dad never said anything to me about it again.
2. When I was 15 or 16, my friend sat me down and told me that I had bad breath often and I should go to the dentist and have a check up to make sure there wasn't any problem. Of course I went to the dentist and was told there was no problem with my teeth or gums.
3. After my friend told me about my bad breath, I became very self-conscious about it.
4. I spent the next 10 years focusing only on my mouth thanks to the advertising gimmicks of the toothpaste, mouthwash, and dental industry. I thought that my bad breath was coming from my mouth (which I found out later it wasn’t)
5. I endured most of my teenage years and early twenties dealing with bad breath. People I knew and strangers would make comments about it, and I could tell by their body language (holding hands to nose when I was near, moving away from me, etc.)
6. When I was 25 years old, I finally decided enough was enough. I wasn’t going to stop searching until I found the cause of my bad breath. Up until that point I had only focused on my mouth, buying product after product of useless toothpastes and mouthwashes and internal breath fresheners, etc…
7. I researched everything I could find online about bad breath. THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET!
8. I discovered that after the mouth, the second largest reason for bad breath is the digestive system.
9. I went to a gastroenterologist (a doctor that specializes in the digestive system).
10. The doctor did an endoscopy on me (where they stick a tube down my throat [esophagus] all the way down into my stomach and take pictures to make sure everything is ok)
11. The doctor found white patches on my esophagus.
12. The doctor took a sample and sent it to the lab to be tested. The white patches turned out to be a Candida infection. See my pictures below. These are actually MY pics!

13. Candida is a fungus. If it is in your esophagus, it causes bad breath. Since the infection is in your esophagus, it doesn't matter how much you brush or floss your teeth, or use mouthwash. The bad breath comes from deeper down. You can brush your teeth all you like, but it won't do any good.
14. The doctor prescribed me Biozole (a generic version of Fluconozole. Biozole is cheaper but it’s the same medicine).

15. I took the Biozole for 2 weeks.
16. I went back to have a second endoscopy to make sure Candida was gone. See pics below.

17. The Candida was gone.

After this, I noticed a change in people’s behavior. No longer were people holding their noses when I was near them, nor were they moving away or covering their nose when I would speak to them. I asked my mother to smell my breath at different times of the day repeatedly for about 2 weeks. She would smell it sometimes in the morning, sometimes after a meal, sometimes in the evening. During the whole 2 weeks she said she couldn't smell anything. No bad breath.

So, that’s my short version story. I found out I had a Candida Infection because of bad breath. After I was treated, the bad breath disappeared. Nowadays, I just try and make sure I lead a healthy life. I eat better than I used to, lots of whole foods and yogurt (with live active cultures, not that crap they sell in the grocery with tons of sugar), I take vitamins, minerals,and probiotics, and I drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest as well as exercise. I do not eat bread anymore, or any products that contain wheat flour, white flour, or yeast. I also don’t eat any mushrooms as they are a fungus. I take good care of my mouth, I have very good oral hygiene (but since oral hygiene was not the cause of my bad breath to begin with this is a mute point)

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to message me or reply to this post. If you think you are suffering from Candida, I encourage you to get tested for it by a doctor. If it hadn't been for my doctor who did the endoscopy, I don't think I ever would have found out I had a Candida infection.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Jan-12-10 at 07:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 01:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

For those of you who might do some online research regarding Candida infection in the esophagus, the majority of websites you visit will tell you that the primary reason for the infection is due to being HIV positive and having a suppressed immune system. Also if you ask your doctor about it, he or she might tell you that Candida infection can only happen to people with HIV or who have some other disease which suppresses the immune system. That is why they might immediately dismiss your questions about Candida infection as being "silly" or "unwarranted".

While this can be true for some patients, it is not the case for me. I do not have any disease which suppresses my immune system, and I do not have HIV. The doctor gave me an HIV test after she found I had a Candida infection, and then I came back 6 months later to have another HIV test just to make sure. Both tests were negative. (See pics below)

After I had the first HIV test, the doctor also had me go to another doctor who specialized in allergies, to see if I had a normal immune response to Candida. That doctor gave me an allergy test (three injections just under the skin on my forearm). She injected a little bit of Candida in one spot and two other allergens in two different spots. All three spots where she injected the allergens had a normal allergic reaction, including the spot where she injected the Candida. Surprisingly enough, the spot where she injected the Candida healed 100% a few weeks later while the other two spots where she injected the other allergens never fully healed and left two little scars on my arm. See pics below.

This shows that my immune system was functioning normally. The doctors had no idea why I had a Candida infection in my esophagus. They couldn't explain WHY it happened. I guess some people are just more susceptible to it than others.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone whose doctor might dispute Candida infection as a possibility.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Jan-20-10 at 11:34. Reason: correcting photo links
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 03:11

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

It was very courageous of you to post such a candid story.

I am sure the probiotics will help you to keep clear of future candida problems.

Have you also looked into virgin coconut oil in connection with candida? Many people are successful with using supplements containing caprylic acid, which is contained in VCO.

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 03:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
It was very courageous of you to post such a candid story.

I am sure the probiotics will help you to keep clear of future candida problems.

Have you also looked into virgin coconut oil in connection with candida? Many people are successful with using supplements containing caprylic acid, which is contained in VCO.

amanda

Hey Amanda, thanks for the reply.

Yep, I have a bottle of virgin coconut oil in my cupboard as we speak. Believe me, like most people who have or think they have a problem with Candida, I have scoured the internet for info about it. Probiotics, virgin coconut oil, teas, herbs, you name it I've read it.

I do believe they have kept the Candida infection away (I had the infection and endoscopies done 2 years ago). But in my case, I believe the antifungal medications were necessary to clear my body of the infection first.

Everyday since I came off the antifungal meds, I eat yogurt with live active cultures, followed by probiotic supplements. I don't eat coconut oil everyday, but at least 2 times a week. Also, I no longer eat bread (or anything made with yeast), mushrooms, wheat flour, white flour, and I don't drink alcohol.

Most Candida diets are too strict in my opinion. Cutting out the foods above has worked for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 04:26

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT12
Hey Amanda, thanks for the reply.

Yep, I have a bottle of virgin coconut oil in my cupboard as we speak. Believe me, like most people who have or think they have a problem with Candida, I have scoured the internet for info about it. Probiotics, virgin coconut oil, teas, herbs, you name it I've read it.

I do believe they have kept the Candida infection away (I had the infection and endoscopies done 2 years ago). But in my case, I believe the antifungal medications were necessary to clear my body of the infection first.

Everyday since I came off the antifungal meds, I eat yogurt with live active cultures, followed by probiotic supplements. I don't eat coconut oil everyday, but at least 2 times a week. Also, I no longer eat bread (or anything made with yeast), mushrooms, wheat flour, white flour, and I don't drink alcohol.

Most Candida diets are too strict in my opinion. Cutting out the foods above has worked for me.

Thank goodness, hey? You must feel like you've been given a new life!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 11:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I seem to recall diabetics are also prone to yeast infections, have you had a blood sugar work up done?

Your story is very interesting!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 02:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Thank goodness, hey? You must feel like you've been given a new life!

amanda

I totally do Amanda! It was such a burden off my shoulders when I was diagnosed. After so many years they had finally found the problem. It just took them about 10 years to find it! :S
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 02:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I seem to recall diabetics are also prone to yeast infections, have you had a blood sugar work up done?

Your story is very interesting!

Thanks Nancy. I'm glad you thought the story was interesting. I just wanted to post it to kinda give people some photographic evidence that Candida can actually affect healthy people.

I have been extensively tested for almost everything. I check out o.k on every test, including diabetes. I'm as fit as a fiddle.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks again, KT12!!!

This helps a lot. I am sorry you had such a bad time with it. Are you still on antifungals? Are you on a candida diet or are you able to eat whatever you like now?

I very much appreciate your sharing and I think the pics will help my husband understand my condition better.

Annajen XXX

PS BTW, I have read that blood sugar imbalances can lead to the condition or exacerbate it, but you dont' have to be diabetic to have blood sugar imbalances. I have always tested negative on blood sugar diabetes tests but I have had blood test evidence of hypoglycaemia, which I read can also cause systemic candida problems since it can trigger release of sugar by the liver which then can feed the yeast too. Apparently, it seems that any imbalances in the blood sugar can make things worse, even if you're not actually diabetic. At least, that's what I read.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 07:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annajen
Thanks again, KT12!!!

This helps a lot. I am sorry you had such a bad time with it. Are you still on antifungals? Are you on a candida diet or are you able to eat whatever you like now?

I very much appreciate your sharing and I think the pics will help my husband understand my condition better.

Annajen XXX

PS BTW, I have read that blood sugar imbalances can lead to the condition or exacerbate it, but you dont' have to be diabetic to have blood sugar imbalances. I have always tested negative on blood sugar diabetes tests but I have had blood test evidence of hypoglycaemia, which I read can also cause systemic candida problems since it can trigger release of sugar by the liver which then can feed the yeast too. Apparently, it seems that any imbalances in the blood sugar can make things worse, even if you're not actually diabetic. At least, that's what I read.

Hey Annajen,

No problem on posting my pics. Anything to help others

I am not taking antifungals anymore. I only took them for two weeks. After that, I just modified my diet a little bit. I don't really call it a Candida diet. I just don't eat anything with yeast (such as bread), white flour, wheat flour, mushrooms, and I do not drink alcohol. I also eat as little sugar as possible, but it's hard to avoid at times especially when you don't cook your own food.

Thanks for the good info on blood sugar levels! It was very interesting. I think I'm fine in that respect, but every little bit of information helps. .
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 14:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I find your story really encouraging, KT12! I also had this for about a decade (well, actually, I reckon it probably went back to my childhood really, got WAY worse when I was pregnant with my kids, and then completely went out of control with stress and everything when my daughter was about 3) and so am trying really hard to get it sorted now.

The interesting thing about your story is that it was treated conventionally with antifungals and you had such great success. I will mention this to my doctor (probably with your pics) since he is not against doing this with antifungals (he said in my case if he thought I needed it, he would use Nystatin probably) but if more inclined to do it slowly and with herbal and diet treatments as much as possible, maybe to avoid a strong die-off effect.

If you don't mind my asking, in your case, did you experience really bad die-off? What happened with that? I mean, if so, what type? Muscular? Feeling flu-like symptoms?

Just curious, so don't feel you have to share if you would rather not. Info gathering, as usual.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 05:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annajen
If you don't mind my asking, in your case, did you experience really bad die-off? What happened with that? I mean, if so, what type? Muscular? Feeling flu-like symptoms?

Just curious, so don't feel you have to share if you would rather not. Info gathering, as usual.

Hey Annajen,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was on vacation for about a week and didn't have internet access.

Anyway, to answer your questions, I did have a die-off effect, but actually I don't think it was that bad. It felt like I was coming down with a cold or something similar. Also I think my breath got worse during that initial die-off period. It lasted for about a week, and then slowly started to fade away until the end of my treatment. After my treatment ended, I didn't have any die-off symptoms anymore.

That's really great your doctor will prescribe you antifungals. A lot of the people I have chatted with, they tell me when they mention Candida to their doctors, they are usually dismissed immediately. The majority of doctors don't give much credit to the whole Candida debate.

Regarding your Nystatin, I have done a lot of research on antifungal meds. Nystatin is a bit older, and usually considered less effective against Candida. You should inquire about the newer azole drugs, such as Fluconazole. They have a better track record in regards to treating Candida and are considered safer.

Keep us updated on your progress
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks KT12.

I see the doctor tomorrow and will chat it through with him. I have also read that Nystatin was originally used, although the fluconazole that I could technically buy over the counter in the shops here (they have a yeast treatment for vaginal yeast with a cream but with an oral flucazanole pill) has sulphites in it and I'm sensitive to them.

Also, of course, one pill wouldn't be sufficient to fix the problem in any case, so I would require a course of treatment. I'll know more tomorrow, but I have only a short appointment with him and a lot of stuff to hit him with.

Wish me luck, though, because some of the issues are a bit more complicated.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 15:20
Registered Member

Stats: 185/173/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey guys! First of all i would like to thank kt12 for posting all his information up here. You pretty much inspired me and possibly saved my life. I'm 25 too and was pretty healthy untill about 6 months ago. I started having chest pain that was actually kinda itchy. I went and had an endoscope done and the doctor told me I had gastritis and esophagitis. He told me it was from acid reflux and I couldn't believe him because I had none of those symptoms. He also told me I had hpylori bacteria in my stomach and gave me biaxin and amoxicillon. Well by the time I finished that I had all kind of symptons like, fatigue, brain fog, ibs, constipation, itchy all over, and i started getting really bad breath. Thought I might have aids or something but my tests came back neg. I don't think my doctor believes in candida. He only gave me one picture of my esophagus, (I don't know why but that's all he gave me) and it looks alot like your pictures with white dots everywhere. I'm almost certain this is what I have and hopefully I will get rid of it. I started the diet last week and have been taking candigone but I probably need to get on an antifungal. Maybe I can find a good doctor this time. The last one I probabaly talked to 30 seconds in all 3 times that I saw him. Once again thanks! People usually stop posting after they get better.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 22:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1984
Hey guys! First of all i would like to thank kt12 for posting all his information up here. You pretty much inspired me and possibly saved my life. I'm 25 too and was pretty healthy untill about 6 months ago. I started having chest pain that was actually kinda itchy. I went and had an endoscope done and the doctor told me I had gastritis and esophagitis. He told me it was from acid reflux and I couldn't believe him because I had none of those symptoms. He also told me I had hpylori bacteria in my stomach and gave me biaxin and amoxicillon. Well by the time I finished that I had all kind of symptons like, fatigue, brain fog, ibs, constipation, itchy all over, and i started getting really bad breath. Thought I might have aids or something but my tests came back neg. I don't think my doctor believes in candida. He only gave me one picture of my esophagus, (I don't know why but that's all he gave me) and it looks alot like your pictures with white dots everywhere. I'm almost certain this is what I have and hopefully I will get rid of it. I started the diet last week and have been taking candigone but I probably need to get on an antifungal. Maybe I can find a good doctor this time. The last one I probabaly talked to 30 seconds in all 3 times that I saw him. Once again thanks! People usually stop posting after they get better.

Hey Justin,

No problem about posting my story. I'm really glad that it was able to inspire you.

You know, you are the second person who has told me that they had an endoscopy done, saw those same white patches, yet their doctor did not do anything about it nor did they prescribe any antifungals. I find it really sad that the majority of doctors are ignorant in regards to Candida. When I was about 22 or 23 years old (about 2-3 years before my endoscopy here in Thailand) I got really really sick back home in the West. My tonsils were so swollen that I could hardly breath! I had to go to the hospital twice, and they couldn't tell me what was wrong with me. They kept going back and forth between bacterial infection or viral infection. Anyway, they sent me to an ENT because I wasn't getting any better from the meds they were giving me. He did a kind of endoscopy, not a full one, but he just stuck a tube a bit down my throat with a camera. I was awake when he did it, and I was watching the television monitor. We both saw the same white patches in my esophagus, but they were like twice as bad as in my pics that I posted here. And you know, he didn't even tell me what those white patches were! He didn't take a biopsy or anything! He just told me that I should get checked for HIV (which I did and was negative) and then he told me when I was better that he would remove my tonsils.

If he had had any idea about Candida, I could have been cured like 2 or 3 years earlier than I was! Anyway, it just goes to show that a majority of Western doctors are clueless when it comes to Candida.

By the way man, do you think you could get a copy of that endoscopy report and post it online here? It would be great if we could get a lot of photographic evidence of Candida infections....