Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:20

Plan: Montignac Method
Stats: 235/235/195 Male 175
BF:
Progress:
Question Per Day Allowed GI / GL Intake for Weightloss?

Can anybody please answer the question (or have an opinion) regarding what the acceptable GI or GL levels are per day while being in the weightloss phase?

I've been reading to minimize the GI and GL levels in the food I eat. Also, if I remember correctly Montignac talks about eating until you're satisfied (as long as the food is low in GI).

However, I have the feeling that there must be some other guideline regarding what the max. allowed GL is per day (in the weightloss phase). Does anyone have an answer/opinion regarding this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:56

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

GI is 35, GL is about 7

I've written quite extensively about this on this forum, so just do a search if you need more info
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 01:33

Plan: Montignac Method
Stats: 235/235/195 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Thanks a lot for your reply, Spang.

I assume you mean a GI of below 35 per meal and not per day, right?
The GL of 7 however appears to be very low if that's supposed to be the max. per meal.

Wondering whether I have to start now counting every single carb. I thought that the point was that on the Montignac Method we wouldn't have to count calories and (good) carbs as long as we stick to the basic rules.

Wonder what the experience of you and the other people out there is who have been on the Method for some time regarding how closely they were/are monitoring the carb count in each meal/food item.

Hope this thread gets a few responses...anybody welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:22

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Sorry - it is per meal, it is not cumulative at all, and the GI is 10, not 7 - which is totally feasible!

you DON'T count every carb - you can't count every carb and have any idea of what the GI is. 2 reasons for this :-

1. Carbs are not created equal and 1 g of 2 different food's carbs could have totally different GI.
2. The GI and GL are NOT direct measures of Carbs - i.e "how much is in the food?" - so counting Carbs will tell you NOTHING about the GI or GL of the food. GI and GL are comparative indexes ONLY

visit mendosa for more info http://www.mendosa.com/gidigest.htm

Sorry my reply ws short, I just feel I've typed the same post many many times - here are some of the similar replies on this very board.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...57&postcount=23

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...98&postcount=15