Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-20, 05:35

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Meaning its a recommended supplement..

Not as far as I know or have heard
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 04:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The CDC recently revised its guidelines to include Overweight, not just Obesity.

Quote:
COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, adults of any age with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from the virus that causes COVID-19:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...conditions.html

You can guess the government’s advice for nutrition and physical activity.
  #318   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 06:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I am reminded of Dr Atkins writings that the obese and overweight are not the only ones that suffer from poor nutrition. Basically anyone eating the SAD is not in the best of health.

Guess that would be 95+ % of Americans....

Sure would like to know more about those who test positive but show few symptoms...what their diet looks like specifically.
  #319   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 10:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Also, Debbie, I don't seek any K2! That's the "traffic cop" who puts all the calcium where it should be.
  #320   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 11:41

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Also, Debbie, I don't seek any K2! That's the "traffic cop" who puts all the calcium where it should be.
oh true. I always take my K2 with my D3.
  #321   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 14:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Not as far as I know or have heard

In Canada D3 is a recommended supplement, from second hand sources.

D is not recommended here unless you dont drink milk, which is fortified with D3.

My son developed bone issues acvording to one ortho... which put me on the trail of vit D3, K 2 and the many minerals that make up bone.

At our 5000 summer and 10,000 winter dosing, I expect it will help control covid and other issues.
  #322   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 08:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I was pleased to see this in the Telegraph this morning:

Five ways to boost your immunity against Covid-19

A new study suggests patients could be re-infected with Covid within months of recovery. Here's how to protect your body from the virus

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...boost-immunity/

Quote:
Diet

A colourful, low-carbohydrate Mediterranean diet rich in fruit and vegetables will nourish your body with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, helping you to fight infection, say doctors. Broccoli, red peppers, and blueberries are particularly recommended.

“Have the fruits and vegetables whole and ideally with the skin on as this contains essential fibre that feeds the healthy bugs in your digestive tract, crucial to fighting infection,” advises Dr Claire Bailey, GP and author of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book.
Quote:
Vitamins

Vitamin D supplements reduce your risk of respiratory infection, according to an analysis of 25 studies published in the British Medical Journal in 2017. Another study, which pooled data from 16 clinical trials involving 7,400 people, found that taking vitamin D supplements reduces your risk of catching at least one respiratory infection – including influenza and pneumonia – by a third, with benefits seen within three weeks.
  #323   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 01:13

BF:

Vitamin D to be delivered to millions of vulnerable people to help protect them from Covid

Ministers draw up plans for four-month supplies to go to care home residents and clinically extremely vulnerable people in England

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...e-help-protect/

Quote:
Free supplies of vitamin D will be delivered to more than two million clinically vulnerable people and care home residents over the winter amid growing optimism about the role of the supplement in cutting the risk of death from Covid-19.

Ministers are drawing up plans for four-month supplies of the vitamin to be delivered directly to care home residents in England and those deemed to be clinically extremely vulnerable. The move follows a similar move by the Scottish Government.

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, is said to be seeking to act in light of emerging evidence about Vitamin D, while Boris Johnson told MPs last week that "we are indeed looking at the possible beneficial effects of vitamin D, and ... we will be updating the House shortly".

The Government is expected to commission clinical trials to further examine the link between Covid-19 and vitamin D deficiency. A number of studies have indicated that poor vitamin D levels are associated with a higher risk of death from coronavirus.

The vitamin helps the body maintain normal levels of calcium and phosphate, keeping bones, teeth and muscles healthy. It is produced naturally by the body when it comes into contact with the sun.

From next month, vitamin D supplements will be delivered to more than two million clinically extremely vulnerable people along with all care home residents, across England. The supplies are intended to last throughout the winter, when the NHS already recommends that people should consider taking the vitamin.

A senior Government source said: "We are going to make sure those most in need of vitamin D can access a free supply over the winter months. Some studies suggest Vitamin D supplementation could have a positive impact for people suffering with Covid-19."

In June, a formal review by the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (Nice) concluded there was insufficient evidence to recommend that vitamin D protects against the virus.

However, Mr Hancock told MPs last month that more studies had since come to light, saying: "I have asked the scientists to look once again at the impact of vitamin D on resistance and immunity. There has been some updated evidence that has come to light in the past few weeks, and I want to ensure that it is fully taken into account."

MPs including the former Brexit secretary David Davis have been calling for the Government to consider distributing vitamin D to vulnerable people in England.

Speaking during Prime Minister's Questions last week, Mr Davis said: "The Scottish Government are sending four months supply of vitamin D to everybody who shielded in Scotland. Given that it is low cost and there is no medical downside, will our Government consider the same approach in England?"

Mr Johnson replied: "He is entirely right that we are indeed looking at the possible beneficial effects of vitamin D."

Some 2.2 million people classed as "extremely vulnerable" to Covid have been issued with guidance on protecting themselves in the coming months after the Government dropped the formal shielding scheme deployed during the first wave.

The group includes those undergoing treatment for cancer and those who are immunosuppressed or suffering from conditions such as cystic fibrosis.

Following the first national lockdown, Public Health England's chief nutritionist, Dr Alison Tedstone, recommended that everyone take the "sunshine supplement" due to spending so much time in doors.

Scientists have speculated that the disproportionately high toll from the virus suffered by people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities may be partly down to endemic low levels of vitamin D.

One of the studies understood to be under consideration by health officials is an analysis by Ben Gurion University, involving around 1.3 million participants, which suggested that vitamin D supplementation can cut the risk of death from Covid-19 in some groups by as much as half.

The Israeli team also came across findings appearing to suggest that vitamin D taken in liquid form, rather than tablets, produced the protective effect.

#324   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 09:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
"Scientists have speculated that the disproportionately high toll from the virus suffered by people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities may be partly down to endemic low levels of vitamin D."

I have no doubt vitamin D is beneficial, but the sentence above couldn't be more weak related to Covid19.
Quote:
"One of the studies understood to be under consideration by health officials is an analysis by Ben Gurion University, involving around 1.3 million participants, which suggested that vitamin D supplementation can cut the risk of death from Covid-19 in some groups by as much as half."

This is much more credible.
Quote:
"The Israeli team also came across findings appearing to suggest that vitamin D taken in liquid form, rather than tablets, produced the protective effect."

Liquid form? Does that include gel caps, which is how I see most vitamin D supplements? I'm going to believe that it does. I'm not aware of a highly effective liquid form, but I'm sure it's out there. Cod liver oil?
  #325   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 09:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Thorne Research makes a vitamin D3 liquid and a vitamin D3/k liquid.
  #326   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 09:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Liquid form? Does that include gel caps, which is how I see most vitamin D supplements? I'm going to believe that it does. I'm not aware of a highly effective liquid form, but I'm sure it's out there. Cod liver oil?
Vitamin D is available in the UK in liquid form, so I'm sure it would be available in other countries. I do prefer my gel capsules though.

Cod liver oil is not recommended even though it is a good source of Vitamin D. According to the National Institutes of Health, it gives you 1,360 IU per tablespoon. However, at least some kinds of cod liver oil provide as much as 13,500 IU of vitamin A, and that’s way too high a ratio if you increase the amount of Vitamin D you take.
  #327   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 15:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In Canada, "D Drops" are often found in the "baby" supplies & foods section of groceries & pharmacies, and have been for a couple of decades.
  #328   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 15:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, all. I think vitamin D gel caps qualify as liquid, but I've never seen it any other way, tablets for example. Maybe I don't get out enough! I'll check out the Thorne Research products. After a 5-mile hike in the Virginia countryside today with clear skies and temps in the high 70s, I'm hoping I received a good dose of the natural D stimulant.
  #329   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-20, 16:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

All sorts of stuff including liquid vitamin d/k etc. (in a bottle, not capsules) are available from that big company starting with the letter A that has two day home delivery. Where I get mine.
  #330   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-20, 04:11

BF:

What is the best way to get your hit of Vitamin D? Researchers probe benefits of the 'sunshine' supplement as a weapon against Covid-19

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-Vitamin-D.html