Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 16:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...tkins-diet.html

Just published. Please feel free to add comments, corrections and questions here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328/308/225 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

I lost 18 lbs. in my 1st 2 weeks. Now 2 wks later, I haven't lost anymore. I am still doing less than 20 gr of carbs a day.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 13:06

Plan: Healthy Lifestyle
Stats: 260/202/150 Female 65.5"
BF:45.6%/33%/20%
Progress: 53%

Thanks for the link.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 12:32

Plan: 0
Stats: 135/135/100 Female 163 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

i have tried this plan before, the 1st time was sucessful. However, i abused to diet back in 2004, and now would like to try it again. Do you think that it will work for me?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-09, 03:33

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi there, I've just read the synopsis of the Atkins diet. The text is excellent, although my book doesn't give a figure of 40g carbs as a guide as to how many carbs are appropriate for OWL.. Rather, it simply states that everyone is different.

The sample menus are not appropriate for my copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, because in my book, caffeine is not allowed on the diet. There are plenty of other allowed drinks, such as decaf, herb tea, etc.. Also, in his guidance on maintenance, Dr. Atkins makes it clear that alcohol should be drunk in moderation only, so it's probably not appropriate to add it to a typical dinner. A more realistic choice would be sparkling water with a wedge of lime.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-09, 10:04
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Hi there, I've just read the synopsis of the Atkins diet. The text is excellent, although my book doesn't give a figure of 40g carbs as a guide as to how many carbs are appropriate for OWL.. Rather, it simply states that everyone is different.

The sample menus are not appropriate for my copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, because in my book, caffeine is not allowed on the diet. There are plenty of other allowed drinks, such as decaf, herb tea, etc.. Also, in his guidance on maintenance, Dr. Atkins makes it clear that alcohol should be drunk in moderation only, so it's probably not appropriate to add it to a typical dinner. A more realistic choice would be sparkling water with a wedge of lime.

Could you please reference the page and edition of your DANDR. I have been a long time low carber and have never read this in any of Dr. Atkins books. I have copies from the original 1972(?) version to the most recent. I must have missed this.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 08:19

BF:

All the extracts from the book are printed in bold, while my own comments are printed in italics.

My book is:

DANDR ISBN 0-0918678-3-5

The advice is embedded in the text throughout the book.

Here are some extracts from the book:

p.92 The Rules of the Induction Diet

"These are the things the induction diet will be doing for you:

4) Breaking addictive eating patterns to chocolate, sugar, wheat,.. alcohol, caffeine..

p. 96 - 97 Other Induction Diet Foods: BEVERAGES

"Decaffeinated coffee or tea"

"Caffeine is not allowed.
Limit caffeine for one week (to break possible addiction). Then it can be used sparingly."

[N.B. Given that this follows his dictum that caffeine is not allowed, it is clear that he intends that caffeinated drinks should not be consumed as a regular part of the diet. Further proof of this can be found in various example menus throughout the book, which contain only decaffeinated tea and coffee.]

[ N.B. Alcohol is not in the permitted list.]

p.157 One out of three of you will find it's necessary to avoid "yeasty" foods... These include... wine and beer.

p.160 -170) "Happily, the most common sources of food intolerance are generally found in foods I recommend you either avoid entirely or approach with caution... very common allergic foods are .. coffee..."

p.240 Pre-maintenance - Constructive Deviations

"Start with one or two deviations a week, such as a fruit and a starch dish..
By the time you reach your goal weight and your Maintenance level, you might be enjoying three such deviations. A glass of wine, a couple of slices of wholemeal bread, a half a cantaloupe for lunch... Or, if your metabolic resistance is at the low end, a few more things than that each week.

But be careful."

p.253 Maintenance - Slim Forever.. Some parting recommendations)

"5. Use caffeine and alcohol in moderation".

[Given that his menus include chocolate recipes, it follows that moderate use of caffeine should be interpreted as an occasional (low-carb) chocolate dessert or cup of coffee, not daily intake.]

In pages 304-305, Dr. Atkins gives examples of typical daily menus.. These have to be read in conjunction with the main text of the book in order to be fully understood. All of his menus include decaffeinated coffee, and nowhere is there a mention of caffeinated coffee. Having read the book, however, we understand that an occasional caffeinated tea or coffee would be OK. Conversely, the maintenance dinner includes a glass of dry white wine, but having read the book, we understand that this shouldn't be a daily occurrance, but it is one of several small "deviations" per week which Dr. Atkins has stated might be possible for some people on maintenance.]

Thanks for encouraging me to dip into the book again. I noticed some extra stuff at the back I hadn't remembered.. so I am going to go and read it now.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Jun-15-09 at 08:54.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 08:40
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Thanks so much.

I see where my confusion is.

It seems like your copy is one of the most recent.

Although I have the most recent edition, I don't use it for a variety of reasons--I reference myself from the 1992/1972 editions.

Thanks for being so precise.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 08:52

BF:

Twas very good for me, Lisa. I need to read it again, I think
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 07:02

Stats: 195/189/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

I started but was not as regimented. I am starting fresh with the induction phase again.....this time I will be able to adhere to it as I have lost my desire for the junk I used to eat. My goal is to lose 40 to 50 lbs and 20 inches all over in 6 months or less.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
I started but was not as regimented. I am starting fresh with the induction phase again.....this time I will be able to adhere to it as I have lost my desire for the junk I used to eat. My goal is to lose 40 to 50 lbs and 20 inches all over in 6 months or less.

Don't be disappointed if you don't lose as fast as you'd like. Weight-loss isn't always predictable, especially when you get close to your goal. It can take months or years to lose the last 10 bs or so.