Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/213/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Hair Loss

This is a question for anyone. My hair starting thinning about 4 months ago and shortly there after my doctor confirmed that I was insulin resistant. I ask her if the thinning hair could be due to this condition, she ran all of the blood tests including general tests for thyroid problems. The blood work confirmed the insulin resistance but no problems with the thyroid. I want to know if anyone out there has experienced hair loss due to insulin resistance or Diabetese (spelling). If so what was done about stopping the hair loss. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Mysstic
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 03:20
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mysstic,

Hair loss can sometimes follow a stressful event. Did anything stressful happen about 3 months before the hair loss started?

Have a look at this site and see if the information there helps.

All the best,

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins~Induction
Stats: 176/167/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Thanks Rosebud!

I've been on Atkins~induction since Sept 5th and I just started noticing more then normal hair falling out. Must be the LCing that helped induce it.

But then again this has happened before after MAJOR stress or events. So who knows!

Thanks for the link!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:42

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

when my daughter became type-1 diabetic (at the age of 10) she lost a great deal of hair, and what was left was really thin and stringy. As she got the diabetes under control, her hair grew back in -- it look s beautiful now (she's 33).

BUT - the doctors swore it had nothing to do with the diabetes. We're very certain that it was related.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 02:20
Registered Member

Stats: 249/213/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

THANK YOU! I have been looking everywhere for an answer to this question. Roz is there anything you don't know? You are amazing and so willing to help everyone.
I wished I could remember when it actually started, but I can't. I'll have to review the last year to see if I can get this pinpointed. I really want to know. It is so comforting to know that it isn't permanent. Thank God. Again, thanks everyone. Mysstic
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default hairloss

I am diabetic, generally well controlled, and have lost a lot of hair. My hairdresser swears that it is caused by diabetes and she sees this alot.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:59
Registered Member

Stats: 122/117/105 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair Loss

I read that the supplement Chromium can cause hair loss. Atkins recomends that Chromium is taken and calls it the 'dieters best friend'. Does anyone else know anything about this?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 21:16

Stats: 205/182/175 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
This is something that I noticed recently, and it's making me wonder .... and with some concern.

I have been on Atkins for 5 months and lost 22 lbs. Stalled for the past 2 months. But I guess that's OK for now.

But at 54 I have always had a full head of hair, and I recently noticed that it is thinning alot. Coincident with the Atkins time period. Coincidence or correlation????

(I have no diabetic history)

Other feedback on this question would be welcome

Thank you

Keith
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 21:20
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Keith,

Did you read the link I posted? You should find some reassurance and some help there.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:37

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

When I was first diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance I did a lot of reading on it. Most sources I read said that hair loss or thinning could be a side effect. I lose tons and tons of hair. My hair is all over! Thankfully I have so much of it that it really doesn't matter.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 19:47
Registered Member

Stats: 253/202/153 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 51%

I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I have thinning hair on the top of my head above my bangs. It bothered me so much I went to the dermatologist and she said there is nothing that works for women and that it is probably caused by my PCOS and follow up with my reproductive endocronologist. I go next week and will discuss this with her.

The only good thing the dermatologist told me is that in women hair loss is usually just thinning and not like men with male pattern baldness. That was a little reassuring but not to much.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:00

Stats: 205/182/175 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Hair Loss

Sorry to say that my hair continues to thin out (very slowly though) ..... am getting concerned: will it stop? Will it reverse and restore?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

something tramatic happened about 3 months ago- don't worry..it is temporary. i started losing my hair (falling out in CLUMPS) after going through a period of near anorexic behavior. it took 3 months from when that behavior started to when i started losing my hair. by that time i snapped out of by eating issues. your body will recover and the hair will start to grow back again. it may take up to 1 year for everything to get back to normal and about 6 months for the hair to start growing back. it is VERY important that you eat healthy, exercise and basically take care of yourself during this period. otherwise it will take longer for the hair to come back...don't freak out =)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:42
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I started shedding copious amounts of hair each day exactly three months after starting Atkins. I think the transition from a high carb diet to induction traumatised my body. I know those first couple of weeks after starting Atkins I felt like I was going through withdrawal. It's now three months on from the first signs of hair loss and this week it has almost slowed to a stop, which thrills me no end....it can be quite scary while it's happening. The weirdest thing for me is that at no stage did my hair look like it was thinning. I figure it must have been growing as fast as it was falling out.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 11:48

Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%

I seem to find a lot of hair on my pillow and the floor and I see more scalp than usual. I'm afraid I have a family history of thin haired women and I may be one of those. This pattern of hair loss seems to come and go with me and the Docs don't seem overly concerned. They told me most people go through a "molting" period every 7 years or so. I'm ready to be done with this phase, I like my hair too much to see it lying on the floor.
Elaine