Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question TIME OF EXERCISE?

Ok here is a question for you I need help with. Does it matter when you exercise?? I work afternoons (230-1100pm). I can exercise for free where I work if I exercise after 1100pm. If I exercise in the morning I would have to go to a gym and pay. Would I get the same benefits of losing weight if I exercised at night? What is your opinion?????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
It dependson what you intend by your workout: Aerobics or weights?

Those who have been around here longer could point you to some exact references, or you could search this forum for 'exercise time'. The unvarying consensus is that the BEST (which is not the same as the only!) time for an aerobic workout is before breakfast. The reason is that the night's fast has depleted any available sugars, so when your body needs fuel, it burns fat. You do not have to have a gym to do aerobics. :-) is there a ceiling high enough to jump rope? Are there any stairs you could climb? Some people find aerobic workout videos helpful.

For weight training, you would do best to read Trainerdan's sticky's on the top of this forum for more info on that, but basically you will need more carbs to lift with any intensity, and you can check the various sub forums (BFL, CKD) for more info on that. If you only want to lift light weights, anytime within 2.5 hours after your last meal should be work.

You mention 11:00p.m. as when facilities are available. For aerobics, long after meals is good, although not as good as pre-breakfast, for the reasons given above.

Does that help?

Kipling
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 21:53

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Check out this excellent thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=21258

Allison
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Happy, when you workout will depend on your goals and the type of working out you're doing. Fat loss responds best to AM Cardio on an Empty Stomach. Strength training with a goal of muscle growth is best performed in the afternoons when you are at your strongest - it can however, also be done in the morning on an empty stomach. Many find this too difficult though.

You should also keep in mind that when you do your workouts are not as important as finding a time that works best for you - it is more important that you do the workouts. Morning workouts are recommended because statistically people who get up early to fit in their exercise tend to stick with their programs. Finding an exercise plan that works with your lifestyle should be one of your criteria.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

Thank you everyone for your responses! I have the time in the morning but I have the equipment at night. So I could do the cardio in the morning by walking briskly outside or putting a tape in the VCR and do that. I just have to JUST DO IT!!! That is my goal now. JUST DO IT!!

Thanks again.