Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 08:02

Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/242.1/235
BF:
Progress: 72%
Talking A Woorah for everyone...

Hi everyone --

I agree, CAD/CALP is a much easier plan to live with. I have a growing teenager who enjoys 'normal' food and a husband who could take it or leave it -- we all like 'normal' food. Being able to cook the same meal for everyone, then sit down and enjoy that same meal together makes life so much more enjoyable.

Its also easier on the grocery bill. Instead of buying "my food" then having to turn around and buy "thier" food -- it gets expensive -- I'm buying "our" food. Life is grand.

My family enjoys our meals much more -- especially since now I make a dessert (heavy or light) with each meal -- I'm not scared of "dessert" anymore.

Keep up the CALPing WOE and wonderful WOL!!

God bless.

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 10:21

Plan: CALP
Stats: 210/210/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi,
I've been following this thread for a bit now and am considering changing to CALP in the near future. Currently Im doing Atkins which some days leaves me VERY frustrated and knowing if I could eat just a piece of bread or maybe a small baked potato I would be ok. I also am not feeling to healthy and often nauseated from eating nothing but meat and drinking sooooooo much water so I figure any way I can make this seem more "normal" the better. I will keep watching you all and wish you each the best of luck and a double dose of best wishes to the tigress tag team
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:34

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default hi ,life is good

I wouldn't want anyone to change because I'm doing this . We just know that so far it is working for the tigress tag team as you called us. There are also other people on this who are doing very well.I have felt much better since I changed to this way of eating.I don't have all the problems I had before.But if you change ,you must read the book and follow the way they say to eat . It is not an eating binge. CALP is the newer book so I would read it. It tells you about the insulin and why it works for you. Keep in touch. Wawtigress

Last edited by wawtigress : Wed, Jan-16-02 at 06:35.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:55

Plan: CALP
Stats: 210/210/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hmmmmm...... not sure where I gave the impression that I felt it was an eating binge..... just thought maybe it was a bit more well rounded.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:15

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Wawtigress and all the others,
I don't think anyone thinks CAD or CALP is not low carbing. There are so many different ways to low carb represented in this forum. And the beauty of it is that everyone is accepted and encouraged even if you aren't doing it the same way as everyone else. I know alot of folks have questioned me because I eat low carb bread in the morning usually. But I think, if it works for you then keep enjoying it. I think the main thing is we are all changing our eating habits, and finding what works for us. So don't feel that you or anyone on CAD are being looked down on. I think there's enough room in this forum for different points of view. Victoria
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 06:41

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Quoting from the book

Eating binge was quoted from the book. It is difficult to cover everything in a short paragragh. If you try, I hope great success to you as so far I'm having. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing no matter which plan you decide to use. Love to hear from you. Wawtigress
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 06:19

BF:
Cool Hi to all...

Hi everyone and welcome 1LastTry.

I've been doing CAD/CALP for almost 4 weeks now, and besides a little tweaking here and there, I've been doing well and enjoying it. If all goes well, I'll have lost another 1.5 pounds by the weekend.

I wish you well with whatever you choose and please come back again. Let us know how things are going.

Have a super LCing day everyone. God bless.

Oh yea, I like the Tigress Tag-team -- cute. It suits us.

#53   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 09:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Interesting reading!!!!!!

I have been lurking around in the CAD/CALP forum to see if I can understand how people can lose on this WOE??? I have been on the Atkins, now for 3 weeks and have only lost 8 pounds. I am not hungry, but I am very bored with the foods!
I was on Atkins years ago, and lost much quicker. My mom and sister are doing the Atkins with me and they both are getting very tired of it already. So, before I let them QUIT completely, I am thinking of getting one or both of the CAD/CALP books.
I see the post that ya'll do lose on this WOE, but it is SO SURPRISING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO?????????? Especially, to people who do the strick Atkins and are losing very slowly!
ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED !
JO Ann in TEXAS
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 06:35

BF:
Cool Welcome JoAnn

Hi JoAnn. I started with Atkins on November 30th, after the 2-week induction I had lost about 8 pounds which isn't too bad. However, I too, was getting majorly bored with the food. I love most of the allowed foods, but it was still difficult finding variety. I don't eat pork or shellfish, so forget that -- and the pork rinds for snacking. And, soy flour and protein powder -- what on earth possessed anyone to create this stuff -- I'd rather eat raw liver...UGH!! Its like burnt cardboard dipped in axle grease -- plain gross.

Anywhoo -- I switched over to CAD/CALP almost four weeks ago and love it!! I stick with eggs, cheese, and meat (sometimes some veggies) for breakfast; at lunch its meat and a salad or meat and veggies, or just veggies or a salad...depending on what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes, I'll skip breakfast and lunch, opting for a nice brunch made up of a variety of the above -- properly proportioned. For dinner, I have what I want using the guidelines that the Hellers suggest -- including dessert. Whether its: cake, pie, ice cream, fruit, jell-o, pudding, fudge, cookies -- etc. etc. etc. I sometimes have a mug of hot cocoa early in the AM and a mug of hot tea during the day. For lunch and dinner, its usually iced tea -- occasionally a soda or wine...even juice.

I am much more satisfied and am not hungry at all. And, I don't 'crave' like I use to, because I know that if I want something, I just have to make the means for it. You can't go overboard -- yet, if you make an occasional 'boo-boo', its not the end of the world. It'll slow you down, but you can go on. Read the books, follow the suggestions, and enjoy. You may have to tweak things here and there as you go along, as you find things that slow you down: white bread or sugar subs for example. You'll only lose 1-2 pounds a week, give or take -- like Atkins after induction -- yet its easier to live with and fit into your life.

Good luck to you, your sister and your mom. Don't give up!! I pray this has helped you. Now -- go get the books and read. Oh, and don't switch unless its really what 'you' want to do -- not because of what I or others have said. Have a great day and God bless.

P.S. I had to do some tweaking my first 2-weeks on CAD/CALP due to confusing it with Atkins -- I've lost about 2.5 pounds since I started CAD/CALP, plus what I lost during induction and in the interum of the two, for a total of almost 14 pounds since November 30th. I'm happy!!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 07:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:

WOW!! Just 10 lbs to lose!! I envy you. I have 110 lbs to lose. This should be a very simple program for you. Just follow the book and don't cheat and you WILL lose your 10 lbs!

I started CAD 12 days ago and have lost 17 lbs!! I totally cut out my soda and quit eating dessert every night. I also cut out my chinese food which I was eating at least 2 x's a week. I've noticed the cravings for these foods went away starting with the second week. Don't get me wrong, when I see sweets or think about pasta, pizza or subs, I do want them, but not as bad. I can control myself now. I wouldn't have been able to pass up a dough nut or muffin or pizza 2 weeks ago, that I do know.

Best of luck to you!!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 07:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default SAMTIGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..............Thank you so much for taking your time to explain how you switched from Atkins to CALP.
I can't wait to get the book from the Library. Someone had it out, naturally!
I am getting very frustrated with the ATkins. I have not cheated not even once. And the dang scales will go up 1-2 pounds every other day!! I don't get it?????
So, yes, I am ready to try something different. Heck if I am going to be gaining I might as well find a different trick!
My sister and mom are already tired of Atkins, also. We want something we know we can live with forever, not just for a few months.
I realize the CALP might be slower, but that is just the way it is, if you don't want to be BORED TO DEATH! Right?
I sure will let you know when I get the book and begin the CALP. OK?
Thanks again for your help!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:24

BF:
Talking Hi

Hi JoAnn -- You are very welcome. I don't know all the ends and outs, but I do my best. Your weight will fluctuate day to day, that's normal. However, when you weigh and average, per CAD/CALP, it will all make sense and work out for the best. It can be confusing, so feel free to ask questions. Myself or someone else would be happy to help where we can. My mom is WAWTigress, she got me started on both Atkins and CAD/CALP -- she's great. Good luck with your LCing. Also, my mom got our books from a used book store for only a few dollars each. It helps to have the book handy. You may want to check that option out.

Hi Tara -- Congrats on the 17 pounds, that's super. Keep up the good work.

Take care and God bless, everyone.

#58   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 08:59

Plan: CALP since Jan 1/02
Stats: 189/181.5/135
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default CALP vs. Atkins

Just to let you know that there are people who cannot handle CALP or CAD at all. Since they are extremely addicted to carbs and tend to binge during the reward meal, they have to go back on Atkins. They would love to be able to do CALP or CAD, but they know that for them personally, the reward meal dessert or other type of carb would set them off on a binge. So to assure their success, they have to stick with Atkins.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 09:57

BF:
Default 14 down, and more to go...

Hi everybody,

Hope you are all doing well. I am. 14 pounds since November 30th, and 2 pounds since December 23rd. Not as much as I'd like to see shed, but I'm content.

I started an on-line journal. Its listed under "SAMTigress' LCing Journey" -- feel free to take a peek.

Cadence -- Hi. I think everyone should use what's right for them. I just know that Atkins is difficult for me. I know that if I get too bored or frustrated with the 'plan' I'm not going to stick with it -- hence, the change. CALP, I can live with. If I run into a snag, all I have to do, is do Atkins for a week or so, till I'm out of it, then back I go. Everyone needs to choose what is best for them. Take care and good luck LCing.

Talk with you all later. Take care and have a great LCing weekend. God bless.

#60   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 173/160/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I've only been doing CALP for a little over a week, but I found that after a few days I gained the same advantages as being on Atkins such as decreased appetite, more energy and decreased sugar cravings.

The big difference for me is the psychological aspects. When I'm in the grocery store, I don't have "forbidden foods" I can't buy and I know that I can eat whatever I want as long as I balance my meals. That is truly a new freedom for me!

Also, when I did go off the Atkin's WOE, or any other for that matter, I felt that since I blew it for the day I might as well eat everything that I wasn't allowed to and eat them in huge amounts such as chips. candy, pizza, etc.....

It's also easier to eat dinner with my family and at restaraunts. I eat LC breakfast and lunch at work (pack my own food as I normally would) and have my carbo meal for dinner....easy. I don't want to think of it as a "Reward Meal". I usually keep my carbos "clean" because I know it is healthier.

Carolyn