Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 15:19

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 179/173/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Your FAVORITE EASY meals for scale drops the next day (if a thread exists, pls direct

Hello,

Ages ago, I found a thread on a low carb message board, where posters were sharing their favorite easy dinners, before a next morning weigh in, where they could pretty much count on a scale drop.

I am not sure if it was on this forum, or a now defunct other forum, that was online.

If this thread was on this forum, could someone help me find it? I've just spent ages looking, so now just gave up and decided to post the question here. If I'm asking in the wrong section, please forgive me.

The only thing I remember about that former thread, is that one person mentioned that ground beef always produced a drop, for them. That resonated with me, as it has done the same for me, in the past.

So yes, your favorite easy meals (stove top, microwave, or toaster oven - preferably 5 ingredients or less, as I walk to grocery shop) before a weigh in, to see a weight loss affect? Thank you.

Today is Sunday, and I would really like to eat super simple, weight loss promoting meals this next week, Mon-Sat of this week, using your favorite simple meals that have worked for YOU before weigh ins.

Thanks! (See background below, for more info.)

Background:

I started exploring low carb way back in HS/College. Following a mixture of concepts and plans (low carb, Paleo, Keto, THM/Carb Cycling, AIP Paleo, Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse ) I have successfully lost weight, and/or controlled weight, 2-3 different times in my life. I have several issues going on that can make it harder, such as hashimotos (taking T4 + T3, and just started taking LDN again), Menstrual issues (high dose birth control), Gluten intolerant (1 burger/sandwich on regular bread will make me gain 3 lbs of inflammation), I used to run at least 3 miles a day, 50 lbs ago...but now, any strenuous exercise makes me gain instant inflammation weight. I also had Lyme disease.

I put diet on the back burner 3 or 4 years ago, and as I'm getting back into it, mostly just need to live the truth I already know: Dilgent to take thyroid meds, stay gluten free, and any other foods that cause me inflammation (I did an elimination diet about 6 years ago, and some meals definitely cause me more inflammation than others, but as long as I'm gluten free and low carb, I can lose weight, even with foods that aren't ideal for me).

I was 120 lbs and running 3 miles a day, 4 years ago. Today, I am 173 lbs, walk to the store or errands a few times a week, and otherwise have 4 years of gluten and carbs (plus terrible stress) to blame this massive weight gain on.

I'm tired of the excuses I've been making, and am determined to at least drop a few lbs, before January, so that I can at least begin to feel in control again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 16:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome

I've been on this forum for eight years and have not heard of such a thread. There is a sub-forum on Quick and easy meals as a part of the overall recipe forum, maybe these will give you ideas. https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Some common advice here is to pick a plan and follow it exactly. Hybrid or "my own way" is more difficult than following firm rules, or abstaining completely from some foods. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=405273

There have also been new approaches to a ketogenic/LC diet since you have been LC before, that may appeal to you now. Dr Ted Naiman has two simple plans...eat only bacon and eggs for two weeks, or his M. E. A. L. plan, both Quick ways to get into ketosis. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479073 Another version is a Carnivore or Zero Carb diet. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960
Even easier than making those meals, incorporate Intermittent Fasting to your plan. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377 Rather than worry over making a dinner, eat a brunch-lunch meal within a mid-day eating window. IF is easier after you are keto-adapted but something to consider adding later.

You have found a good forum, look around the various topics. Hope some of these ideas help. All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 20:41
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks for the info, Janet. Simple, yes?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 10:41

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, both of you! Very helpful, and love the MEAL concept!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 12:14

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have two meals in my repertoire that are usually good for a whoosh on the scales the following morning:

1. Salmon and spinach. I fry them both in EVOO, salmon first, then the spinach for a few minutes after. Serve with a good dollop of aioli on the side and done.

2. Chocolate avocado smoothies. Crush ice cubes in a blender, then add the insides of two large ripe avocados, a couple of tablespoons of sugar-free drinking chocolate, some chia seeds or frozen berries depending on preference, a little vanilla, some cream, blend the lot and enjoy.

In my own experience, each only works a maximum of once per week though, so simply having them for dinner all the time doesn't bring me any additional benefits. I can get whooshes following other dinners sometimes as well, but these two work the best for me to the point where I call them my "lucky" meals.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 14:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome, TTA.

If we did have a thread like this, I'd be chiming in encouraging people to question why they're in search of a specific meal to make a number on the scale go down. I hate to be a downer, but a woosh does not necessarily mean you lost body fat or even had a 'good' previous day (corollary: gaining a pound or three does not mean you gained any body fat or necessarily did anything wrong.) I mean, I could tell you to pound back 4 shots of vodka and that would probably result in a scale loss the next day... not necessarily a great idea or meaningful to one's weight loss journey.

- Do you think you glutened yourself? There's no fast way to get it out of your system.
- Did you have too many other inflammatory foods? Abnormally high amount of sodium or fiber? Same.
- BCPs - oh lordy, you're in for an uphill battle here. Hormones trump everything.
- Any other things that cause water retention such as taking NSAIDs or other medications? I'm sounding like a broken record here: you have to wait for it to get out of your system. No meal will cure it.

Best bet: no meal at all, skip dinner.

Please don't use the scale as your barometer for feeling in control. If you control your actions, you are in control. Fact. End of story. The results on the scale, unfortunately, are not in your control. They're like the weather. The weather isn't your fault and neither is the amount of gravity acting on your body.

I would encourage you to start doing daily weigh-ins, IF (and only if) this isn't going to make you fly off the handle. What this does is (a) desensitizes you to those daily fluctuations, and (b) gives you good insight to what foods and meds might be doing what. I seem to be getting arthritis flare-ups, inflammation and weight gain from almond flour - I might not have made the connection if I wasn't tracking my weight daily. Likewise with ibuprofen - I rarely take it, but when I did, I've invariably gained a few pounds. We have a daily weigh-in thread here if you're interested.

Wishing you much improved health. Consider starting a journal so that others can perhaps offer up some insight.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 01:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I have two meals in my repertoire that are usually good for a whoosh on the scales the following morning:

Thank you! So much fun to read! Altho, I am super curious, is the cream and chocolate syrup enough liquid to blend the ice and avocado with? Perhaps you have an industrial strength blender! (On my bucket list.)

With my luck, I would probably have an inflammatory affect from the chocolate syrup, depending on the ingredients, but I bet I would honestly lose several lbs in one week, if ALL I ate was salmon and spinach for 3-7 days (Assuming no condiments that I would react to, and only water). I admittedly, am trying to re-find the self control and discipline that I once had.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 01:56

BF:
Progress:

Kristine, thanks for taking the time to post.

Yes, I usually weigh every day, or three. The scale dropped down from 179 at my highest on gluten or near daily gluten cheats, to 163-173 currently, depending on if I "cheat," when it comes to gluten, or stay on track.

For context, I was STRICTLY gluten free for 3 years, during which time my weight normalized to a healthy weight, in combination with paleo and lower carb than the SAD (standard American diet). I would do Periods of diet variations during this time, which helped the weight loss (Jack Kruse's leptin reset; AIP paleo; an attempt at near GAPS; IF, Carb cycling, Some HIGH PROTEIN, HIGH FAT, LOW CARB meals, etc.)

I have 3-4 years of damage to undo now, as I've "let myself go," for the past 3-4 years, but it only got really noticeable to me, in the past 2 years.

You are right, re: inflammation. When I was eating SUPER, SUPER clean on AIP Paleo for like 3 months, 6 years ago, I started noticing how random foods could produce an inflammatory or allergic response in me.. For example, if I'm honest with myself, coffee and chocolate both irritate my body a little bit.

I've read some on histamine intolerance, mast cell activation disorder, and electrolyte issues, and believe they all play a part.

I most definitely have to stay focused on staying hydrated. Unfortunately, regular water goes right thru me, so I have to either drink waters such as smart water, or spike my own, with a pinch of unrefined sea salt (you would think that would cause water retention, but in my case, just the opposite).

Yeah, I should have clarified that I know meals that show a scale drop, don't necessarily mean a fat loss drop. At any rate, I appreciate meals that don't cause me instant water weight/inflammation weight. It's usually somewhat of an indication of what is easily tolerated by most people.

I'm trying to find a simple quick meal routine that I can stick with, and that will produce results.

My biggest obstacles:

1) Grocery shopping on foot in the cold winter (up to 0.7 miles each way, depending on which store).

2) A job in nightlife that unfortunately does involve adult beverages at night (I *know* this is like the largest issue here, but I'm trying to implement changes around this one, for now, and keeping those beverages SF when it comes to mixers)

3) Sharing a kitchen with several house mates. It gets awkward at times, to the point that I avoid the kitchen, and cooking, especially at weird times when I get hunger attacks (after quiet hours at night, etc.)

4) I am often hungry ASAP for satisfying savory, carby food. If I'm not careful, I will order gluten comfort food for delivery. I did improve on that, by stocking gluten free convenience foods for those emergencies, such as canned soups and GF crackers, or GF bread for toast. Even this helped me to drop down from 179. But I mean, I need to get back down to 120, so at some point all the gluten free carby convenience foods will need to go.

I also eat too much cheese, cured salami, etc. It's like if I can't have satisfying carbs, I have to have creamy and cheesy flavors to satisfy me. Or else, I will just end up ordering carby comfort food for delivery. LOL

Thanks for your kind wishes.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi and welcome, TTA.

If we did have a thread like this, I'd be chiming in encouraging people to question why they're in search of a specific meal to make a number on the scale go down. I hate to be a downer, but a woosh does not necessarily mean you lost body fat or even had a 'good' previous day (corollary: gaining a pound or three does not mean you gained any body fat or necessarily did anything wrong.) I mean, I could tell you to pound back 4 shots of vodka and that would probably result in a scale loss the next day... not necessarily a great idea or meaningful to one's weight loss journey.

- Do you think you glutened yourself? There's no fast way to get it out of your system.
- Did you have too many other inflammatory foods? Abnormally high amount of sodium or fiber? Same.
- BCPs - oh lordy, you're in for an uphill battle here. Hormones trump everything.
- Any other things that cause water retention such as taking NSAIDs or other medications? I'm sounding like a broken record here: you have to wait for it to get out of your system. No meal will cure it.

Best bet: no meal at all, skip dinner.

Please don't use the scale as your barometer for feeling in control. If you control your actions, you are in control. Fact. End of story. The results on the scale, unfortunately, are not in your control. They're like the weather. The weather isn't your fault and neither is the amount of gravity acting on your body.

I would encourage you to start doing daily weigh-ins, IF (and only if) this isn't going to make you fly off the handle. What this does is (a) desensitizes you to those daily fluctuations, and (b) gives you good insight to what foods and meds might be doing what. I seem to be getting arthritis flare-ups, inflammation and weight gain from almond flour - I might not have made the connection if I wasn't tracking my weight daily. Likewise with ibuprofen - I rarely take it, but when I did, I've invariably gained a few pounds. We have a daily weigh-in thread here if you're interested.

Wishing you much improved health. Consider starting a journal so that others can perhaps offer up some insight.

Kristine, this post is so timely for me. I started off this month bumpy and am getting concerned. Trying to figure out ‘what’s going on?!’ The last few days I’ve had to take ibuprofen which I did not know causes ‘scale increase’. I weigh in daily here and it is my accountability monitor, but only a barometer, but still causes me concern. Your words were well needed and received today. That is why I love this forum. Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 11:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagai
Thank you! So much fun to read! Altho, I am super curious, is the cream and chocolate syrup enough liquid to blend the ice and avocado with? Perhaps you have an industrial strength blender! (On my bucket list.)

My smoothies do indeed tend to come out quite thick, to the point where I can pretty much eat them with a spoon. But you could always add more water to thin it out a bit if you wanted.

And my blender is actually on the cheaper end. I never owned one until I picked mine up on sale earlier this year, just for the purpose of trying out smoothies. I'd been looking for a way to incorporate avocado into my diet and this finally turned out to be a winner for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagai
With my luck, I would probably have an inflammatory affect from the chocolate syrup, depending on the ingredients, but I bet I would honestly lose several lbs in one week, if ALL I ate was salmon and spinach for 3-7 days (Assuming no condiments that I would react to, and only water). I admittedly, am trying to re-find the self control and discipline that I once had.

I've tried mixing up the frequency of both the salmon+spinach and the smoothies over the course of my journey, but as I wrote previously, it didn't make any more noticeable difference for me. As the saying goes, it can be possible to have too much of a good thing.