Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 22:17

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

"If there was one diet that was best for everybody, we'd only need one diet book."
Bob

Exactly. YMMV!!!!! Whatever works.

Not sure what to replace it with Ms.A. Maybe some salmon???? Normally, I'd suggest chicken soup (my favorite) but not sure now.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 12:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im still thinking that if grassfed beef is low aa, then perhaps there is a way to feed chickens that is grain free.....assuming its the grains that influence aa levels.

Youtube has an inspiring flock that free ranges and it not given grain as the land and huge compost pile provides year round.....like chickens ate long before broiler houses.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 18:10

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im still thinking that if grassfed beef is low aa, then perhaps there is a way to feed chickens that is grain free.....assuming its the grains that influence aa levels.<...snip...>

If you find out, let us know.

I'd like to be able to eat chicken again.

If I eat chicken now, I get an ache in my hip the next day. Not a good thing. I don't want to be a candidate for a hip replacement.

I work with senior citizens and most of them have less than optimal results ranging from mild (can't move as much as the real joint) to the severe (constant pain). Plus they wear out and 10 years later I won't be as robust in the healing department.

So avoiding chicken, egg yolks, fatty grain fed beef, and organ meats is more than an ounce of prevention for me (YMMV).

Bob
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 22:44

BF:

Totally agree with you as replacements are not all they are "quacked" up to be.

I have never encouaged my boys to excell at sports as joint damage is common in many athletes.

Health is far more important.

I do beleive aa agrivates already existing joint issues. How to determine how to support the joints is of interest to me. Bones have the materials fir bone, and adding vitamins and collagens would seem to be beneficial, too.

Its common to feed joint supplements to sport horses. Chindroitin and msm. Building and maintaining the cartilage is critical to performance.

Makes me wonder why humans get less consideration.

I used to add selenium and vitamin E to foal and mare feed.

More questions than answers......
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213.5/151/145 Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I find the article very misleading. The article is unjustly picking on peanuts which are not even in the list of the top 10.

AA is predominantly found in animal products.
Food sources of arachidonic acid (PFA 20:4), listed in descending order by percentages of their contribution to intake, based on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006

Food and Contribution to intake (%)
  1. Chicken and chicken mixed dishes 26.9%
  2. Eggs and egg mixed dishes 17.8%
  3. Beef and beef mixed dishes 7.3%
  4. Sausage, franks, bacon, and ribs 6.7%
  5. Other fish and fish mixed dishes 5.8%
  6. Burgers 4.6%
  7. Cold cuts 3.3%
  8. Pork and pork mixed dishes 3.1%
  9. Mexican mixed dishes 3.1%
  10. Pizza 2.8%
As you can see, there is a big decrease between #2 and #3. Peanuts aren't even close and Chicken and Eggs are the major contributors.

For those with inflammatory conditions like arthritis, bursitis and others, reduction in AA can bring relief and slow the destruction of the body.

When describing my inherited bursitis pain, a doctor recommend the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. Being low carb, I was already following most of it, but eliminating the AA foods gave me 99% relief, and 30 years later, it's still gone.
For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar: Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action. Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:
  • Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
  • Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)
  • Pasta (high glycemic index)
  • Juices (high glycemic index)
  • Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
  • White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
  • Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)
Before the dietary change I couldn't walk 2 blocks without stopping and resting and I couldn't drive without a 'blue ice' pack behind my hip. Now I walk 4 miles a day a few days per week and can drive all day with zero pain.

I said 99%. What's left? If I'm driving about 8 hours, I'll have a dull ache in the right hip. Not enough to be called pain, just enough to remind me of the problem I used to have. The arthritis in my hand from a basketball accident is 100% gone.

I don't know if this diet will help everyone, but it has helped me, my wife, and everyone else I know that have followed it. Of course, a lot of people won't follow it because they would rather live with pain than give up certain foods.

I also think the dietary approach is superior to supplements and drugs that mask the pain while the destruction of the body continues. Not to mention the negative side effects of many prescription drugs - you know the stuff the mumble at the end of the ads or put in the fine print.

I figure if you can eliminate your personal negatives with diet, you are better off than adding things to lessen the pain of those negatives.

I miss chicken and egg yolks, but I certainly don't miss the pain. It's a good trade.

To each their own I guess.

Bob

I am so GRATEFUL that I found this information a few weeks ago! I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis in both of my knees and could barely walk the first week in December. I literally sat on the sofa with ice on both knees and gulping Advil plus wore a brace on both knees. I saw my orthopedic surgeon and his suggestion was heavy duty meds or knee replacement! I'm 63 and in very good health otherwise (blessed!). I have low carbed in the past (since 2000) but had been following a different plan since menopause to keep the weight off. Regained about 15 lbs. and intentionally took 12 off after Thanksgiving until now - by following this diet and keeping to low carb.

Even during Christmas I stuck to it. My relatives think I'm crazy but I don't want to take drugs for pain and why would I eat something that makes me feel bad??

Thank you Bob for posting this - it's been an absolute miracle for me! I take nothing right now including Tylenol!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:25

BF:

perhaps send a copy to that surgeon. of course, he's not likely to change as he makes his money by filling the appointment book.

Better......As you meet more sufferers, give them a copy!!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 09:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioluvr
<...snip...>

Thank you Bob for posting this - it's been an absolute miracle for me! I take nothing right now including Tylenol!

It's my pleasure. Hearing it helped you is the reward that makes me happy.

Pass it on to others in need.

Bob
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 09:49

BF:

I've tried to share but so far no one is biting LOL No one that has arthritis in my family wants to give up all the goodies they love. I very much doubt the orthopedic surgeon would be open to this either - would take money out of his pocket.

I am starting to have some more knee pain this week and trying to figure out what is going on - might be the fatty corn fed beef is all I can figure out. I've literally had nothing that I shouldn't have since Thanksgiving and I've done pretty well. I guess it's too much to think I might be completely pain free but that's my goal.

I really haven't been able to walk like I'd love - if I do for very long my knees hurt. But I do stay active and get as many steps as possible every day all day. I also use a standing desk most of the time.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 10:56

BF:

Causes of pain is a vast number if options.

Pain can develop after a long time. For example, I can sit with knees folded under thighs and this cinfiguration was fine, until it wasnt. The stress was not causing pain until months of sitting in this posituon added up.

My son cannot drink coffee now as it causes knee oain. After ten years of drinking coffee occassionalky he is now a tea totaller.

Try a test. Do not eat that product for a month, tgen eat it again. See how your body us without that foid, and then see hiw it feels after eating it again.

I like tge lady on PBS that gently reminds ys our bodyuse deoends on the minor tendons and ligaments, as these are 59% of our muscles/tendons. I see my son weightlift but forgets to work the support tendons/ligaments. Apparently its not cool for a teen to think yoga could be better to stabilize joints, BEFORE tackling heavy weighs. I have experienced overloading my shoulders when my back was in severe pain, gaving to shift my bulk using arms. All big myscles fine, but shoulder tendons strained. Point is, try some yoga.

Back to food. Joints need collagen . Make soups using bones and an acid like tomato or vinegar to leach the bones of minerals our bones use. Chucken skin and pork skin is also a source of cilkagen Dr Axe says there are three kinds if collagen.

Some people have problems with dairy. That is a wide variety of trialing. Obe person can eat European cheeses but not domestic. Others need organic. Our domestic milk supply has a surprizing amount of antibiotics...when it should have zero.

I learned from reading The Dental Diet that a multutude of minerals and vitamins are required for bone building and support. I dont supplement with calcium anymore as I get enough thru my diet. But I do supplement the forgotten minerals like pitassium , phosphorus and magnesium.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 11:06

BF:

To continue.

BONEs also need vitamins to help with the contruction process. K2, not the same as K1. Vit Aand D3and vit C.

D3 recomensations are too low. I take 10,000 units a day and my winter blues are totally gone . Vit C needs to come from food as its a complex and a pill contains only one form . Our grassfed meats are high in vit c, which aids with iron absorbtion.

Food tolerances. Our tolerance for any specific food can change. What was once ok, is no longer tolerated by the body. Elimination diets help determine the specific food.

I have been trying to eliminate plastics touching our food and water. The chemicals leach into the food, and then we eat it.

Hope sharing my experience helps. This is tip of iceburg but should help with subjects to investigate.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-20, 10:24

BF:

Thank you !! Food intolerances are something else. I've known I had issues with dairy for years - but it seemed to abate when I went originally on Atkins in 2000. I'm getting a little worried as I don't want to lose any more weight - and trying to figure out what I can eat is becoming a little harder. But I will persevere. I do take extra Vit D every day as well as other vits. Thank you for all of the suggestions - I would hate to lose my coffee as that's really my only vice right now - but I hate being in pain and not having mobility worse.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-20, 10:43

BF:

Good luck tracking down the problem foods. As for getting enough calories, not many have a problem with animal fats.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 15:28

BF:

I had a dairy problem until I went Atkins and eliminated wheat. It turns out I was mistaken, I had a wheat problem.