Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 22:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/255/195 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Egg Noodle

Hello Everyone I have something to share. I hope this is the right spot for my recipe experiment. I wanted a low carb "noodle" for things like lasagna. I was watching an episode of Iron Chief America and the contender was using chemicals to alter textures. After a week of that episode floating around my head It gave me an idea. My idea was to use un-flavored gelatin to make egg whites more firm like a noodle.

So what I did was to bring one cup of chicken broth to a boil then stir in the gelatin till it was fairly thick. while my broth was going I separated some egg whites in a bowl. I poured in a little bit of the broth into the whites to temper them then added the whites to the sauce pan. I cooked that on low heat stirring constantly till the whites were combined and getting firm. I then poured the mixture into a shallow baking pan and refrigerated till set. When It was firm I put the pan in a pre-heated oven at 250 for about 30 minutes or so until the mixtures was all white and firm. After I put it into the freezer for five minutes or so. I was then able to cut strips and pull it out to make layer in my lasagna. The top noodle with the cheese got crunchy all the inside ones stayed soft and "noodley"

Thats my experiment feel free to use and improve. More experiments in the works.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 11:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How very interesting!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 12:11

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
My idea was to use un-flavored gelatin to make egg whites more firm like a noodle.

So what I did was to bring one cup of chicken broth to a boil then stir in the gelatin till it was fairly thick. while my broth was going I separated some egg whites in a bowl. I poured in a little bit of the broth into the whites to temper them then added the whites to the sauce pan. I cooked that on low heat stirring constantly till the whites were combined and getting firm. I then poured the mixture into a shallow baking pan and refrigerated till set. When It was firm I put the pan in a pre-heated oven at 250 for about 30 minutes or so until the mixtures was all white and firm. After I put it into the freezer for five minutes or so. I was then able to cut strips and pull it out to make layer in my lasagna.

could you be more specific please about amounts and times and things like that? I would like to give this a shot.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 12:21
Experimenter

BF:

I'm guessing he must've cooked out most of the broth, otherwise you'd have Egg Drop soup.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 12:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 330/235/219 Female 5'3
BF:ugh!
Progress: 86%

hmm.. this sounds interesting..
i like trying new things..
i'd like to see what your measurements were for this..
and how did it actually taste?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 09:34

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

this sounds very interesting! I've used eggs to make 'crepes' with a bit of parmesan added for strength, then layered these to make lasagne OR cut into strips for chicken 'noodle' soup, but never thought of gelatin!

Food for thought!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 10:18

BF:

Wow so many responses! Unfortunately I did not write anything down and went mostly on "feel". I put the broth on med high until it was at a rolling boil then added the whole packet of gelatin and stirred until the felt thick. I then reduced the heat to a simmer.I used about four or five egg white (I see I forgot to write that above) and once tempered added them to the mix on low heat. Once again keep stirring until the mixture get thick. The noodle tasted alot like a flour based egg noodle. The only thing I would suggest would be adding some flavoring to the mixture while boiling. I thought the broth would add enough, but it does soak up flavor well. Hope this clears up things.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 11:07
Experimenter

BF:

The thing I find puzzling is that gelatin melts when it gets hot. So wouldn't the gelatin melt when you put your lasagne in the oven and just kind of let the egg roam free?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 18:50

BF:

I was slightly worried about it melting but It really combined well with the egg protein and chicken broth. After cooking all the noodles were still together in noodle form and the top one even got just a little crunchy.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 20:33

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Most likely the egg proteins acted as a binder to the gelatin protein ... they did it with fish and meat all the time on Iron Chef, don't see why the gelatin proteins shouldn't work the same way.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 20:58
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

When I was eating SAD I was nuts for noodles. I'm gonna have to try this!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 21:48

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 330/235/219 Female 5'3
BF:ugh!
Progress: 86%

I may just try this next weekend...
I'm already thinking about what I can possibly use the 'noodles' in..
hmm..
the gelatin that was used..
is it that knox gelatin stuff?
lol can ya tell i've never used it?
does it have any carbs?
if not.. would this be virtually carb free???
I'm getting excited just thinking about it..
]

Last edited by Anyca : Mon, Mar-09-09 at 22:05.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 15:31

BF:

It is Knox unflavored gelatin and it has 25 calories and 15 grams of sodium nothing else listed so basically trace carbs from the egg whites and broth.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:13

Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicone
Wow so many responses! Unfortunately I did not write anything down and went mostly on "feel". I put the broth on med high until it was at a rolling boil then added the whole packet of gelatin and stirred until the felt thick. I then reduced the heat to a simmer.I used about four or five egg white (I see I forgot to write that above) and once tempered added them to the mix on low heat. Once again keep stirring until the mixture get thick. The noodle tasted alot like a flour based egg noodle. The only thing I would suggest would be adding some flavoring to the mixture while boiling. I thought the broth would add enough, but it does soak up flavor well. Hope this clears up things.

What kind of flavoring would you suggest? Do you just mean salt? or more chicken boulian?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 12:25

BF:

Well I think since I bought cheap chicken broth it was lacking in flavor. I think I will salt it next time and maybe add some garlic.

So anyone tried it yet I want to hear what you think and any improvements you make.