Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 03:58

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Ketogenic eating really DOES lower need for thyroid hormone T3.

I know a lot of people here know me better as 'nonstickpam107', and as a Thyroid Patient Advocate. Many also know I've been low carb since 2000 and ketogenic since around 2005.

Thyroid hormone isn't generally dosed based on weight (or shouldn't be!). I was told by several books, and a few very savvy doctors, that if I didn't cheat, and stayed true to ketogenic principles, my need for thyroid T3 would lessen. Now, I knew that after menopause, and a decrease of estrogen that I would need less (estrogen and other hormones 'bind' incoming thyroid hormone, and is why we should insist on Free T testing, to see what's actually usable to the body).

So.. starting at five grains natural thyroid.. in 2000.. I went to three in 2002. And then stayed for quite some time, fiddling around, eating 'off plan' food here and there.. yes.. goal and then some, but still.. trying to eat things that a low carber shouldn't really entertain

But in 2005 I got strict because I picked up a couple more autoimmune diseases, a host of allergies.. I decided it WAS ok to eat meat and fat.. and a smattering of veg here and there. By 2010 I was down to two grains natural thyroid and feeling very good.. I attributed it to the way of eating.

It's 2015.. I started feeling a little telltale sign of edginess...did my tests.. and holy moly.. that FT3 was UP there (I, personally feel best when it's around 3/4 of it's range..). I dropped to one grain.. and just retested .. and it's 3/4 of range, I feel VERY well, I have the energy of two people most of the time.

Oh, and that wouldn't be surprising for a 60 yr. old.. but I'm a disabled 60 yr. old.. I have Paget's bone disease, a very rare IgE disease (that means I'm so allergic.. I can have anaphylaxis from perfume or vapors.. I stay 'in my bubble' most of my time) and the use of steroids and a previous parathyroid cancer, to keep me alive has resulted in osteonecrosis (new shoulder!! Hip next!) and 'rock's in my lungs, in soft tissue, etc.

I'm just sayin'!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 07:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know I'm feeling pretty good without any T3 at all. I never could tolerate it for very long and I'm doing just fine without it entirely. Used to be I'd feel pretty pokey at times. I'm well into menopause now too... well, 3 years into it. :-)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 09:37

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

This is great to hear as some claim that VLC and/or ketogenic diets ruined their thyroids. I've been eating VLC or variations thereof for 10 years and my thyroid is just fine thanks at age 65. The only reason I'm not at goal is because I've never been cheat free more than 30 days at a time. Cheating even once or twice a month derails me and prevents me from losing weight.

You are doing great Neanderpam! Glad to hear that this way of eating is helping you overcome many challenging issues.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 09:58

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks Pam, on stop the thyroid madness they seem to think 1 and 1/2 is a starting does even though all bloodwork says different. Thanks to you I know why I feel great on such a low dose.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 13:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

I knew that was you Pam!!! I remembered the picture!! Thanks for all the help!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 05:17

BF:

Do I 'know you' lkelley36? PM me.. You're welcome for any help I could give you! Yes, everyone recognizes 'Accent's Field Angel of Oxford' (or 'Hannah').. I lost my beautiful girl about six years ago.. along with my Therapy smooth coated collie.. they were both about same age, different breeders of course.. and one went within a week of the other. Ah.. but lived into old age..
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 05:21

BF:

dmarie328, we are all individuals.. that's WHY we need to see Free T4 and FT3 though.. and not just TSH and total T4.

Also, when someone has a low FT3.. but can't 'tolerate' incoming T3.. something else is happening.. whether it be low ferritin, low iron, low progesterone (that's a biggie during menopause.. because many doctors won't address that..and worse yet, many doctors just do an FSH to see 'where you are'.. um, that's like doing a TSH.. both don't tell the actual hormone levels).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 08:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had it all checked. No issues with iron--yes, I had the good iron tests. Progesterone sure, I'm going through menopause and I can't supplement due to clotting issues. Had adrenals checked and I don't believe it is that either.

The crowd may be right that many, even most, people do well with some T3, but I think there are some of us that probably just don't.

I really wanted to be one that it worked for, tried a number of times to make it so.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 09:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
Do I 'know you' lkelley36? PM me.. You're welcome for any help I could give you! Yes, everyone recognizes 'Accent's Field Angel of Oxford' (or 'Hannah').. I lost my beautiful girl about six years ago.. along with my Therapy smooth coated collie.. they were both about same age, different breeders of course.. and one went within a week of the other. Ah.. but lived into old age..

I knew you from the other site..... For some reason I can't send messages on this site...

Been working through this thyroid thing for sooooo long....had gotten better, but still can't find a doc that knows anything about the right test...

Sorry about your puppies....I know they were happy though....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-15, 03:15

BF:

Nancy.. nope, not everyone 'needs' T3. But, as we age, we change also. So.. if you ever do feel symptoms of low T3.. can always run it up the flagpole again.

Sorry about the clotting disorder.. I have arteritis nodosa and I didn't look like I needed T3, and it didn't set well with me for quite some time.. until I got a doctor who treated the blood disorder.. underlying causes.. can be there.

Meh.. I don't have your up to date test results either.. so you don't know without looking and searching...