Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 07:29

Plan: general
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Could really do with advice re CFS/Candida

Hi,

I'm new here, and desperate for advice from people who are familiar with Candidiasis. I've posted this on the FM/CFS board too. This is long and I appologise, but I don't know where else to turn. If anyone can take the time to read this I would really appreciate it. I'm desperate.

I suffer from CFS/ME and, 18 months ago I embarked on a nutritional trial which was aiming to establish whether Candida is THE reason for CFS. I went on the strictest version of an anti-candida diet (that is dairy and gluten-free as well as sugar, yeast etc. Everything organic and fresh, no frozen or preserved, nothing refined etc), and a personalised supplementation programme.

I didn't experience any 'die-off' reaction at all, in fact, there was no real change in my symptoms. I plugged on nonetheless.

A year down the line there was still no change, I felt exactly as I had before embarking on the programme. A few months later I suddenly crashed, to a completely bed-ridden state. I had given up smoking 48 hours before, and my doctors think this was such a shock to my already weakened system and that this was the cause.

My nutritionist said this is finally die-off, and that in a month or two I would start turning the corner.

Seven months later, I am still barely able to lift my head from the pillow, despite doing everything my nutritionist advises and to the letter. My nutritionist keeps coming up with reasons, ie my liver is struggling to detoxify, so I went on more supplements to correct this. No change. Now she is saying give it another 9 months.

I am now starting to doubt if Candida is my problem at all, that maybe my CFS is down to something else. I wonder if my nutritionist is maybe more concerned with proving her theory is correct, rather than my best interests. The supplements alone are costing in excess of £150/month, and it seems a lot to pay for no gain. I'm also not sure how much strength I have left to continue living like this. I cannot even get to the toilet on my own.

I really hope that someone here, who has experience of anti-candida programmes, would be able to tell me; if Candida is my problem, would I have seen some results by now?

Thankyou so much to anyone who can comment.

Cascade
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 21:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/125/113 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida

Have you had any blood work or stool tests for Candida?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 06:21

BF:
Progress:

Well, I had a stool test done and the consultant said that candida wasn't a problem for me. My nutritionist, however, says that blood/stool tests are hopeless at giving a true indication of a candida burden, as they do not show if candida has migrated to other parts of the body.

It's so difficult , isn't it, when you have to put your trust in other professionals?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:15
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

If Candida were a problem, it would have shown some results by now. You have done everything to starve it out. If it were me, I would get a complete physical and get a very precise thyroid panel and hormone levels done as well. Don't accept "it's in the normal range." Get numbers and find someone to discuss them with you. I would look for another doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:01

Plan: Candida Elimination Diet
Stats: 130/110/115 Female 66 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 133%
Default I think you need a new doctor...

I'm writing you because back in 1988 I had CFS (they still called it Epstein Bar virus then) I couldn't get out of bed for over a year. Nothing worked for me -- just time. Gradually I started having periods of better energy and little by little over the space of a few years I seemed to have gotten rid of all the symptoms.
I've seen a lot of doctors over the years. I was always very athletic and even my job was athletic - I directed TV shows live on location for a big network here.
Then just six months ago, I had a gastric ulcer with complications. The hospital really messed me up bad. It started an onslaught of problems that I've gradually been over-coming. For example, last month, I eliminated a bacterial overgrowth from my small intestine by fasting.
Unfortunatly the bad bacteria was probably the only thing holding the Candida fungus in check so I'm currently going through the "die-off". And it leaves me no doubt that I have the Candida fungus in my bloodstream and digestive tract. I posted today on the this same site.
Anyway, I'm writing because I finally found a medical doctor I like and he's looking at my past as well as my present problems with a holistic approach and an eye to the past experience with CFS. As you know, that's unusual for an M.D. So now at least I can tell you that, after many terrible disappointments with all kinds of doctors, I know that they do exist! And, yes, I agree with you that all the various doctors can't seem to help but get a bit too wrapped up in their own theories.

I have no ideas right now about your problem. It just sounds so much like what I was going through that I wanted to say -- I sympathize!!! It's just awful.. Also, I would definitely give your nutritionist the Heave Ho. If you had Candida as your primary problem you'd show "die-off" symptoms within two weeks and you'd definitely be feeling a lot better now!! By the way, you mention supplements -- I sure hope one of them is a good probiotic product?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 04:24

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

for your input guys. I'm going to 'finish things' with my nutritionist and move on to something new.

Robin, sorry to hear about what you have been through, but well done for having such a pro-active approach to your illness. The supplements my nutritionist gave me don't include a probiotic, but I take one off my own back, prescribed by a doctor in Germany, it's very potent stuff! Am convinced now that Candida is not the cause of my illness, I certainly didn't experience the die-off efects you describe.

My new direction is to get tested for Borrelia bacteria and the like, and if negative, to try out the Petrovic Protocol.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. It's good to know we're not alone in going through this.