Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Low Energy, Muscle Soreness and/or Atkins Stall

For those suffering from candida I think I may have found some help.

I've been doing Atkins for over 6 weeks now and kept thinking *why is my energy so low these past few weeks when everyone talks about feeling ENERGIZED?*

I have muscle soreness in certain areas of my body (the thumb *meat* in my left hand, my left shoulder and/or neck area, my left hip and buttock and lastly my left calf--yup, a left side issue going there).

Here is what I found out after doing much research with several books and online help.

COPPER TOXICITY:
When you are ill with something like candida, the body tries to use the copper to fight infection (not releasing copper from the body) and you become copper toxic over time.

When in excess in the body, Copper does the following: Suppresses potassium storage in the cells (sore muscles anyone?). Potassium also helps the thyroid gland produce energy in the body (low energy anyone?). Copper suppresses adrenal gland function. The adrenals act as a *fuel pump* in the body. The adrenals also help control BLOOD SUGAR (this explains why I sometimes have cravings but no reason to explain it) and allergy response (I have a few food allergies that mysteriously come and go, even when I know I don't have leaky gut). Copper blocks the function of zinc. Zinc is involved in thousands of energey and immune-related cycles. High copper and low Zinc have been found to cause depression and mental disorders (I feel depressed and low energy quite often). Copper suppresses iron storage. Low iron causes anemia. Copper causes abnormal depositing of calcium in the soft tissues and this has been show to depress thyroid function (causes low energy also) and causes increased viral activity.

I was LOW ENERGY yesterday and my left side body muscles were killing me. I took an Aleve which usually works but it was barely touching it.
Around midnight, I started doing some research because sometimes when I take potassium and magnesium with some food, it takes the pain away and I thought there has to be more to the equation than this. The above was the rest of the equation.

What did I take? I grabbed 2 potassium pills, 1 magnesium (33% of RDA), 1 zinc (50 mg or 333% of RDA), and 1 500 mg Ester Vitamin C.
After taking the above items with a few teaspoons of flaxseed (always take vitamin supplements with food in your stomach for improved absorption) I felt MUCH better within an hour. In fact, I felt so energetic that initially it was hard to fall asleep but I finally did. When I woke this morning, it was the first time in WEEKS that I didn't have a sore shoulder and calves that acted like they were going to *charley horse* if I stretched them. I got up, did some weight resistance training (I haven't had the energy to do this until today) and then did jumping jacks and jogging for about 20 minutes. I have TONS of energy today and I'm shocked it reacted this quickly. Of course, I did make sure that before I went to bed last night that I drank a lot of water in order to help the copper get out of my system

WHAT TO TAKE TO GET RID OF EXTRA COPPER IN YOUR SYSTEM:

50 mg of Zinc daily (do NOT exceed 80 mg in a day)
500 mg of ESTER vitamin C
Sulphur which you can get in your diet from eggs, onions and garlic.

All of the above help your body get rid of extra Copper.
When you are feeling better, you can likely cut your Zinc back to 25 mg or even as low as 5mg, gauging how you feel over time (if you lose energy, it may likely be that the copper is building up in your system and you need to up your zinc).

I have been very aggressively fighting my candida with medication (DIflucan) and herbs in the last few weeks and know i had a lot of die-off (which likely makes the body store a lot of copper in order to fight all the toxic substances floating around).

I hope this information will help others of you who aren't feeling very energetic from your candida and also finding you stall on Atkins or other LC programs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 21:58

Stats: 295/273.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

wow, thanks for the info!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:54

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi! Thank you for posting this, I tried taking what you recommended and it really helped with die-off symptoms. I also added some MSM, and took Calcium with the Magnesium.

Thanks again!

-Denise
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessea
... I also added some MSM, and took Calcium with the Magnesium.
I was just going to say that MSM would be a good way to add easily-assimilated sulfur.

The liver also uses MSM to make glutathione, an important amino acid used in detoxification processes ... and it gets depleted really quickly when we have chronic health issues going on.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm suffering so bad with the charlie horses in my neck and shoulders. I'm taking 4 potassium pills and 4 cal, mag zinc a day. s that too much or not enough. I cant seem to get right. Help. This sounds just like me. I'm draggin latley!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 12:17

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I no longer have muscle problems and they went away because of this: I had thyroid troubles!!! It was the cause of my candida infection!!! My body temp was always below normal which tipped off my doctor. When the thyroid doesn't work properly (hypothyroid in my case, meaning it was sluggish) it gives one constipation and other gut problems that can cause the candida to grow and prosper.

It is very common to have thyroid problems as you approach your 30's because your estrogen output goes up with decreased ovarian reserves (less eggs) and estrogen tends to depress the thyroid function.

It may be worth going to your General Practitioner or seeing an Endocrinologist about it.

I hope that helps you out. It took me about 3 months of taking the synthroid for my muscle aches and other related fungal problems to virtually disappear. I get a few muscle cramps as my period approaches and I will help support my thyroid with multi B vitamins and a kelp pill daily.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/219/167 Female 5-10
BF:
Progress: 13%

i am new here and am not very computer literate... but i am having problems i think with candida... i am constantly having yeast infections..or ecoli infections... i just recently had a baby girl 2 1/2 months ago ava and i have a 2 1/2 yr. old... jocelyn and i started the dr. phil diet right after ava was born..working out everyday, no more than 1300 calories a day...didnt lose 1 pd. i finally got fed up and went for the atkins approach which is wonderful. I lost 6 pds. the first week and havent lost another pd since and its 2 weeks later. i am assuming it is because of candida. 1 month ago i went on birth control pills as well, i just got off of them 1 week ago because of not losing weight. i am going to my gyno tommorro and will ask for diflucan. i thank you jeanne... i was also wondering how long it will take to start losing weight again??? what other tips can you offer to help..anything would be greatly appreciated.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:28

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

My energy has been ok, but I can relate to the muscle soreness in different areas of my body. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:39

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Wow, thank you for posting this. I've been getting terrible soreness on the left shoulder and left side of my neck. I'm definitely going to try this.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 19:13

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I took some calcium, vitamin C, a multivitamin, and 2 potassium pills. I don't have any zinc or magnesium so I'll have to pick those up, but the pain has gone down a lot. Still hurts some, but at least I can move my neck now!