Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-23, 05:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default We’re kidding ourselves if we think our children have a healthy diet

Quote:
We’re kidding ourselves if we think our children have a healthy diet

Tim Spector

British toddlers have one of the worst diets in the world. Analysis of children’s diets in eight countries showed under-5s in the UK consume the most mass-manufactured foods, with instant meals making up almost two thirds of their average energy intake, a forthcoming report is set to conclude.

Improving what we eat is especially crucial for children. Their nutritional needs fall on all our shoulders — making the access they have to healthy food, and how it is advertised, is just as important as giving parents the tools and resources to choose healthy food for them.

This new research has linked popular ultra-processed baby and toddler foods — like biscuits, puff and stick-style crisps, purée pouches and ready meals — with weight gain and growth problems. Poor nutrition is not only damaging to them now but also affects their chances of being healthy later. We already have record levels of long-term adult sickness that is disastrous for the economy and society. That will only get worse if we don’t act. The UK has 15 million obese people and rising, and the annual cost is a staggering £58 billion each year, adding over £500 to our tax bill.

The so-called “golden window of opportunity” between the ages of 0 and 2 (including nutrition during pregnancy) is when the majority of a child’s health blueprint is set. From kidney structures that will affect their blood pressure, to the amount of fat deposited around their organs and even the diversity of their gut microbes, we can predict metabolic health factors in early childhood.

Most mistakes in feeding children today stem from clever marketing that has fooled us into thinking we are choosing healthy foods. Giving children fruit juices or squash instead of water contributes not only to the development of a preference for sweet foods but to an increase in tooth decay and obesity. Fruit juices often disguise themselves as healthy “vitamin-rich” options or “super smoothies”, except they are completely lacking in fibre and have the same sugar as cola drinks. Others claim no added sugars but are sickly sweet due to a concoction of artificial sweeteners that have negative effects on gut health and encourage the search for sweeter things.

Ultra-processed “weaning food” snacks; squeezy pouches of “balanced meals” and various crunchy, melty puffs made with “real” vegetables — these packaged artificial concoctions are not real food and they don’t allow for young children to learn about what food looks, feels and tastes like. I have seen parents give toddlers pouches at restaurants instead of letting them try a little of their own food. This is not how we evolved to learn about food, and stops a child from developing a varied palate and being open to tasting new things.

Later in life, there are two smaller windows of opportunity linked with rapid growth that can improve a child’s metabolic health. One around age seven and another around 13. The biggest issue we see with children of school age is the high consumption of ultra-processed foods such as sweet yoghurts and breakfast cereals, biscuits, snacks and chocolate bars. Convenience foods are highly palatable but offer nothing in terms of fundamental nutrients for good physical and mental health.

We need to stop this British diet of “chicken nuggets, chips and juice” for children, and feed them a greater variety of nutritious fruits and vegetables.

Children’s gut health is determined by a community of gut microbes — called our microbiome — that is hugely flexible until about age three, when it settles into a more adult blueprint, and affects our future immune and metabolic health. That’s why it is crucial we act by eating the right diet to create a healthy, diverse microbiome in childhood.

The UK has both the highest rates of ultra-processed-food consumption in children and the highest rates of obesity in Europe. We need to start prioritising our children’s diet above the short-term interest of giant food companies and their Westminster lobbyists. If we don’t act soon, it will be impossible.

Professor Tim Spector is co-founder of ZOE, the personalised nutrition company, and author of Food for Life and Spoon Fed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-diet-6vwjgzg5b
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-23, 08:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Fortunately I read DANDR before having children. I realized thus was an opportunity to help my children to NOT become obese, like me. They ate good food for the toddler years, as both mom and dad can cook well. Then off to school. The fight for good nutrition was on. The snacks in other students lunchboxes was horrendous. Witnessed by my own eyes as a substitute aide. I battled on. I didnt let up pushing for high quality choices. Whole foods before that term was popularized.

My kids have few cavities. My kids at 19 gand 20 are extremely thin among their peers. On BMI scale, they are normal!!

Parents make the food choices. Even when free lunch was available, my kids got a bagged lunch. Unless the salad bar was available. Parents do have a choice. It cost more to make a bagged lunch, and I thought their health was worth it. I also think, but cannot prove, that quality food helped them excell in school.

Parent's choices matter.

Ps. I met with school food manager to see about dropping juices in favor of whole fruit and the like. I met with two managers over a couple years. I got the blaaa blaaa blaaa of the government requirements to get funding. Its not about healthy food, not really. Its about cheap.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Feb-26-23 at 08:50.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 02:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This is what happened to me, and it wasn't even that bad in the 70s and 80s. It's gotten a lot worse. I cringe when I'm looking through the store flyer and see Gerber baby cheese doodles.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 13:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I hadn't gone down that aisle in ages. Until a couple of years ago when we had a sick cat who needed meat baby food.

There was this tiny little section of three meats and three vegetables and everything else was baby snack food of one kind or another.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 14:10

BF:

I found vegan mommy food tips for children. It’s even worse than the baby food section.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 20:55

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I hadn't gone down that aisle in ages. Until a couple of years ago when we had a sick cat who needed meat baby food.

There was this tiny little section of three meats and three vegetables and everything else was baby snack food of one kind or another.
I few years ago I had a sick cat and went down that aisle looking for plain meat baby food which I had found a decade or two previously, but there were ZERO pure meat options anymore, so I had to cook human food instead.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-23, 06:03

BF:

Quote:
Baby food as we know it didn’t come on the scene until the 1920s. A big deal — and definitely another reason the roaring twenties were so roaring, at least if you were a parent. Up until the 1880s, the types of soft foods babies were eating were also administered to invalids and sick people. We’re talking what was considered fortifying foods like beef broth and wheat gruel — really Oliver Twist-esque. And fruits and vegetables typically weren’t introduced until age two because of their perceived laxative qualities, which is the reason many modern-day parents give their babies fruits and veggies — to keep them regular.

How Did Baby Food Become a Household Staple?

I don’t think they get to assume a superior tone looking back on 100 years ago because they are feeding babies terribly now.

It turns out, understanding plant anti-nutrients was absolutely crucial to solving the riddle of my autoimmune. I don’t get much in the way of plant-handling enzymes. Maybe I am an obligate carnivore!

But fear of meat and dairy keeps kids away from important nutrient sources. Then, what they sub is this processed fortified junk. It’s outright dangerous.