Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 01:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Smile Benefits List...what would you add?

There’s a list in a thread Started by Cactus Rose in 2010 that I go back to.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/newrepl...reply&p=9196817

It reminds me of what I want and why I’m here—both the types of benefits on the list and the community here that can build a list like this.

It was originally posted in Emotional Issues and Body image thread ... but I thought we could look at it in General Support. Because, support for general low carbing.

Giving credit where credit is due:
#1 through #7 were started by Cactus Rose.
#15 was added by khrussva
Others added with their names.
(The whole quote is attributed to thud because he was the last to add to it.)

What would you add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
BENEFITS OF LOW CARB EATING AND WEIGHT LOSS

1. I spend more time thinking of the positives about myself rather than the negatives: When I overeat, I berate myself, tear myself down, beat myself up, etc. What is constantly on my mind are negative thoughts. When I eat well, I see myself in a new light, I imagine all my possibilities and what I can accomplish in my life.
2. I have less back pain as I lose weight.
3. I have more energy when I eat low carb.
4. I have more energy at a lower weight.
5. I feel less puffy when I eat low carb.
6. Instead of focusing and thinking about...hmmm what sweets/carbs/etc can I eat next and then spending the time eating them, I instead spend my time doing things I love, like gardening, photography, reading.
7. I feel better when I go hiking...I am no so short of breath.
8. For me the number one is: I feel in control of my eating instead of my eating controlling me. -- Suzien
9. I have fewer depressive episodes when I eat low carb -- Ena
10. I am much more focused and can concentrate better on what I'm doing -- Ena
11. I don't get any wind, ever!  -- Ena
12. even when i am not exactly enjoying myself (like right now, reading old posts as i bike very slowly on the stationary bike)...I feel proud of myself for all the learning. (ie: i have learned over the last 4 months that if carbs are calling my name -- not physical craving but that annoying voice in the head that keeps wondering if i *could* just have a bit of this or that -- if i get busy for 30 minutes it does pass. -- Blue
13. I seem to need less sleep! Or rather, I am waking up more alert after 8 hours than groggy and exhausted. -- Blue
14. I am less irritable and am clearer headed. -- Blue
15. My cholesterol numbers got better, then much worse, then better again, and now in maintenance and still eating LCHF my cholesterol is the best it has ever been. Totally normal now. A little wacky during the weight loss.
16. Silly one but one I didn't consider; DON'T NEED A BELT ANYMORE -thud123
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 02:26

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

very good list most i agree.

for me

i dont get sick ,no flu ,no headhache ,no heart burn ,skin problems easy to visit toilet , no jet lag .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 07:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

#4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Great list and good reminders. For me:

Feel so great with lots of energy
Hardly ever hungry and of course
Weight Loss.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 11:09

BF:

Thanks for all your contributions! It's so true isn;t it?
I find it super helpful to focus on the other benefits...I never want to go back ...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 13:25

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

1. I spend more time thinking of the positives about myself rather than the negatives: When I overeat, I berate myself, tear myself down, beat myself up, etc. What is constantly on my mind are negative thoughts. When I eat well, I see myself in a new light, I imagine all my possibilities and what I can accomplish in my life.
6. Instead of focusing and thinking about...hmmm what sweets/carbs/etc can I eat next and then spending the time eating them, I instead spend my time doing things I love, like gardening, photography, reading.
8. For me the number one is: I feel in control of my eating instead of my eating controlling me. -- Suzien
12. even when i am not exactly enjoying myself (like right now, reading old posts as i bike very slowly on the stationary bike)...I feel proud of myself for all the learning. (ie: i have learned over the last 4 months that if carbs are calling my name -- not physical craving but that annoying voice in the head that keeps wondering if i *could* just have a bit of this or that -- if i get busy for 30 minutes it does pass. -- Blue
13. I seem to need less sleep! Or rather, I am waking up more alert after 8 hours than groggy and exhausted. -- Blue
15. My cholesterol numbers got better, then much worse, then better again, and now in maintenance and still eating LCHF my cholesterol is the best it has ever been. Totally normal now. A little wacky during the weight loss.
17. My brain running on ketones is happy, in the zone.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 17:52

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

17. My brain running on ketones is happy, in the zone. -DancinGurl
18. My feet and hands don't hurt. -Tess
19. My acid reflux is gone. - Tess' sister
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 18:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
18. My feet and hands don't hurt. -Tess

Yeah! Me too!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 07:44

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

My wife has benefited from my woe. She was well into t2 diabetes with A1C nearing seven. She went from 6.7 to 6.4, below the type 2 6.5 threshold for the first time in years. Her appointment Tuesday brought great news - 6.1! She didn't tell the doc that she stopped taking metformin. She's seen me cook my own food and has cut down on carbs herself and has started to accompany me on the morning :40 walk every morning. So that's my benefit. My wife's type 2 diabetes reversal.

#10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 09:48

BF:

Wow that’s great! For her and for you! That your woe led to a healthier wife... ... lovely addition to the list.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-18, 02:49

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
My wife has benefited from my woe. She was well into t2 diabetes with A1C nearing seven. She went from 6.7 to 6.4, below the type 2 6.5 threshold for the first time in years. Her appointment Tuesday brought great news - 6.1! She didn't tell the doc that she stopped taking metformin. She's seen me cook my own food and has cut down on carbs herself and has started to accompany me on the morning :40 walk every morning. So that's my benefit. My wife's type 2 diabetes reversal.

congrats very happy to hear
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 20:53

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Love the list!!!

I would add: A wonderful feeling of being in control.

I am a bit of a control freak- and when I am HFLC, I feel IN CONTROL! If I am aware of everything I put in my mouth, and I know why I am eating this not that, I feel smart and centred, but most of all: in charge of me. I love that feeling; I am making things happen!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 23:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
I know why I am eating this not that, I feel smart and centred

I never thought of it exactly that way, but you are right about this. I feel that too and it is a satisfying feeling. For me, less about control and more about taking care of myself and proud of it.

We are building a great list, wonderful to go back to...
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 16:28

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Big benefits-

Not being tormented by cravings, not being physically driven to eat this or that very specific item or items, and not being able to rest until I can consume that momentary object of desire

Being able to go hours & hours without being hungry or thinking about food.