Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%
Default Cooking shrimp?

Our favorite stir fry was shrimp with mixed vegetables from a local Chinese restaurant. The shrimp were fantastic! Large and very delicious and the sauce was wonderful (it was a white sauce). The shrimp were firm yet kind of soft - I don't really know how to describe them - but they were definitely not rubbery. Since we're now leery of the sauce because of carbs I have tried to make my own shrimp stir fry. But, I just cannot get the shrimp or the sauce even close to the quality of the restaurant's. I tried buying high quality shrimp and being careful not to overcook them and have tried various sauces, but was very disappointed with the results. Anyone have any ideas? I have such a craving for that great stir fry. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 02:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

A common technique in Chinese cooking is called "velveting". Meat and fish is marinated in a mixture of cornstarch, egg white and seasonings before it's dipped in hot oil or liquid. Then it's stir-fried. It gives meat and seafood a great texture.

It's almost impossible to duplicate in the low-carb way because of the cornstarch used in the sauce and marinade, not to mention the sugar.

It wouldn't work for the velveting, but xanthan gum works well as a thickener in sauces. Here's another thread on thickeners.

Wish I could be of more help.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%

Karen,

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that I would not be able to duplicate that stir fry doing low carb. At least I know that I should avoid it at the restaurant, too. Thanks also for the link to the tips on thickening. I'll be sure to try the cauliflower for meat sauces. I have used the cream cheese for some and it worked well. Thanks for all your help!