Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-19, 15:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default It's all about the mitochondria

The hottest new discoveries in nutritional science come from the mitochondria, tiny, free-floating organelles inside cells. Disease is what happens when they falter and become dysfunctional.

I've got your overarching disease process right here!

There are two main sources I have used to understand this :

Tuit Nutrition's Amy Berger did an entire series on Metabolic Theory of Cancer: Mitochondrial Dysfunction 1. It's long, but fascinating. She does her usual stellar job of explaining very complicated things in simpler, but still accurate, ways.

The other is a shorter, denser, treatment of the subject, on a new discovery I also wanted to share: Dr. Myhill of the UK has a wiki.

Sarah Myhill left the National Health Society to treat her Chronic Fatigue patients in way that will actually help them, and she's written three groundbreaking papers on Mitochondrial Dysfunction. I was thrilled to find all this fascinating and useful information on her site.

Quote:
Ketogenic diet - a connection between mitochondria and diet

Ketosis is an often misunderstood subject. Its presence is thought to be equal to starvation or a warning sign of something going wrong in your metabolism. But nothing could be farther from the truth, except if you are an ill-treated type 1 diabetic person. Ketones – contrary to popular belief and myth – are a much needed and essential healing energy source in our cells that come from the normal metabolism of fat.

It is not only used as a healthy lifestyle, it is also used for conditions such as infantile spasms, epilepsy, autism, brain tumors, Alzheimer’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease, depression, stroke, head trauma, Parkinson’s disease, migraine, sleep disorders, schizophrenia, anxiety, ADHD, irritability, polycystic ovarian disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux, obesity, cardiovascular disease, acne, type 2 diabetes, tremors, respiratory failure and virtually every neurological problem but also cancer, and conditions where tissues need to recover after a loss of oxygen.

The ketogenic diet acts on multiple levels at once, something that no drug has been able to mimic. This is because mitochondria are specifically designed to use fat for energy. When our mitochondria use fat as an energetic source, its toxic load is decreased, the expression of energy producing genes are increased, its energetic output is increased, and the load of inflammatory energetic-end-products is decreased.

The key of these miraculous healing effects relies on the fact that fat metabolism and its generation of ketone bodies (beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate) by the liver can only occur within the mitochondrion, leaving chemicals within the cell but outside the mitochondria readily available to stimulate powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants. The status of our mitochondria is the ultimate key for optimal health and while it is true that some of us might need extra support in the form of nutritional supplementation to heal these much needed energy factories, the diet still remains the ultimate key for a proper balance.

What is amazing is that it seems this is the path to helping with so many different kinds of chronic disease.

A little over one month since starting and my sleep and symptoms have improved. I still have some unique challenges, but if ketosis if what my body needs, I will eat all the chuck roast I can manage.

And... loving it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-19, 16:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases 5-20-2014 [The Journal of Lipid Research]

The ketogenic diet (KD) is a broad-spectrum therapy for medically intractable epilepsy and is receiving growing attention as a potential treatment for neurological disorders arising in part from bioenergetic dysregulation. The high-fat/low-carbohydrate “classic KD”, as well as dietary variations such as the medium-chain triglyceride diet, the modified Atkins diet, the low-glycemic index treatment, and caloric restriction, enhance cellular metabolic and mitochondrial function. Hence, the broad neuroprotective properties of such therapies may stem from improved cellular metabolism. Data from clinical and preclinical studies indicate that these diets restrict glycolysis and increase fatty acid oxidation, actions which result in ketosis, replenishment of the TCA cycle (i.e., anaplerosis), restoration of neurotransmitter and ion channel function, and enhanced mitochondrial respiration. Further, there is mounting evidence that the KD and its variants can impact key signaling pathways that evolved to sense the energetic state of the cell, and that help maintain cellular homeostasis. These pathways, which include PPARs, AMP-activated kinase, mammalian target of rapamycin, and the sirtuins, have all been recently implicated in the neuroprotective effects of the KD. Further research in this area may lead to future therapeutic strategies aimed at mimicking the pleiotropic neuroprotective effects of the KD.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-19, 17:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Further research in this area may lead to future therapeutic strategies aimed at mimicking the pleiotropic neuroprotective effects of the KD.[/I]

Uh huh. That will go as well as Propecia and Accutane. Drugs used for treating baldness and acne which will cause, in a substantial number of users, life-threatening side effects.

Like how horrible would it be to tell a patient, “Go eat a bunch of steak.”

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Feb-16-19 at 18:33.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-19, 17:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Like how horrible would it be to tell a patient, “Go eat a bunch of steak.”

How many diseases would that cure and what would the drug companies do?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 10:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for these links, WereBear. I particularly like the observation that ketones are a cleaner, more stable fuel for humans:
Quote:
Ketones are the ideal fuel for our bodies unlike glucose – which is damaging, less stable, more excitatory and in fact shortens your life span. Ketones are non-glycating, which is to say, they don’t have a caramelizing ageing effect on your body. A healthy ketosis also helps starve cancer cells as they are unable to use ketones for fuel, relying on glucose alone for their growth. [5]The energy producing factories of our cells – the mitochondria – work much better on a ketogenic diet as they are able to increase energy levels in a stable, long-burning, efficient, and steady way. Not only that, a ketogenic diet induces epigenetic changes[6] which increases the energetic output of our mitochondria, reduces the production of damaging free radicals, and favours the production of GABA – a major inhibitory brain chemical. GABA has an essential relaxing influence and its favored production by ketosis also reduces the toxic effects of excitatory pathways in our brains. Furthermore, recent data suggests that ketosis alleviates pain in addition to having an overall anti-inflammatory effect. [7]

Healthy mitochondria are essential for us to feel good and to have a long, healthy life. Learning how we can improve mitochondrial health with diet and exercise gives us a huge advantage over the alternative of attempting to attack disease symptoms with pharmaceuticals. Lifestyle protocols are far less expensive and more effective in most cases. Our healthy metabolism will resolve many of these annoyingly dangerous lifestyle-induced symptoms when its fed and fueled properly.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 13:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Thanks for these links, WereBear. I particularly like the observation that ketones are a cleaner, more stable fuel for humans:

You are welcome.

I am frankly amazed at how many illnesses are caused by mitochondrial dysfunction. It refocuses the Metabolic Syndrome trifecta of heart disease, stroke and diabetes into only the beginning of how this affects us.

Dr. Wahls' book urges people through three diet stages until they reach ketosis: however that shakes down for them. Considering my carb sensitivity, my lack of a meter, and the serious nature of my recent downturn, I think shooting for an average of ten carbs a day is the simplest way for me to go.

I've read many many accounts here of how people still battle hunger and cravings. I'm convinced it's because they think they can "cheat," and that their daily carb allotment is just not low enough.

Because this is delicious and easy. I'm still a bit amazed
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 16:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

There use to be a lot more talk on here about how long it takes to undo a cheat and how it throws things off and may take 2-3-4 days to get back in gear.
I think a lot of this has to do with not having a true plan or a book or directions on how to do this which is really easy as you said if they just stick to the plan and count carbs, not calories.
Also reading about a lot of people trying to do low fat with low carb thinking they'll loose faster, I guess. But it doesn't work that way.
I think this fasting thing is confusing them too, because they haven't learned how to low-carb properly yet. When the cravings go away, you are doing it right!

Speaking of how good this food is, I just finished eating 2 perfectly smoked pork ribs with some dill pickles and a couple of tsp of sugar free BBQ sauce for a little bit of dipping.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 16:21

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

wow many many ....
but look at food phyramid doctors said . Eat packaged diet crap food 6 times a day and exercise 5 hours to stay healthy so you have no time left to enjoy life and still stay hungry.
no thanks i prefer stay full all the time and eat 1 time a day ,exercise if i want to .
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-19, 17:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Here is a long, quiet, affirming lecture that while this talk isnt specifically focused on keto as a diet choice, instead notes how many diseases are just tied together based on the health of the individual cells. ANd his recommendations that leads most people to a keto diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExB45GRrfc
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 04:31

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Here is a long, quiet, affirming lecture that while this talk isnt specifically focused on keto as a diet choice, instead notes how many diseases are just tied together based on the health of the individual cells. ANd his recommendations that leads most people to a keto diet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExB45GRrfc
Watching it now, and I just borrowed his book: The Great American Health Hoax.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 07:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Thanks, MsA. Not sure, but does he discuss mitochondrial health or is this a bit off topic? I read the description of Francis' book. For those on this forum who have read it or are becoming familiar with his recommendations, please post (or start another thread) about his lifestyle recommendations. I'm fully aware of his observations that our "system" is broken. I learned he has a chapter that instructs readers which toxins to avoid. I'd like to learn what he's recommending. I won't be buying his book unless I learn otherwise, as it appears to be very similar to "Undoctored" by William Davis.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 08:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I got to him saying that vaccinations and antibiotics are the two biggest blunders in the history of the world. I cannot get behind that.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I got to him saying that vaccinations and antibiotics are the two biggest blunders in the history of the world. I cannot get behind that.

Thanks, I hadn't delved into him yet. I agree: that's a dealbreaker for me, no matter how right he might be about other things.

There's this pervasive myth that people can "natural and organic" their way out of illness and dodge disease. Certainly, this incredible recent research on mitochondria tends to emphasis that here is an incredibly powerful body process we should tap into to help our health. That works much better than modern drugs for a wide array of conditions.

But many people only understand a super-simplified version of the science, and then apply it wrong. That's only a corner of the story, not the whole thing. I see this all the time in:
  • avoiding the white sugar for brown sugar
  • brown rice instead of white rice
  • hearthealthywholegrains
  • pointing out meat has hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides in it, and pivoting to plants, which have anti-nutrients, outright natural toxins, and much more of a pesticide load, especially wheat
  • believing that getting the full blown disease is "more natural" and thus better than getting the weakened version from a vaccination

I counter these people by pointing out that most of the history of civilization was marked by completely organic food, non-polluted air, and plenty of exercise in the sunshine; and yet, epidemics were a serious problem.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-19, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Ditto . . .
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 22:34
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Mitochondria often called: "The powerhouse of the Cell." Allow the cell to use oxygen for aerobic respiration as opposed to anaerobic respiration.

Without the prokaryotic type of mitochondria eukaryotes would die from energy starvation. Plants have them also called chloroplasts which allow them to utilize sunlight and create energy.

mtDNA, unlike nuclear DNA, can go almost unchanged for thousands of years. While men receive mitochondrial DNA from their mother, they do not pass it on to their children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wL7r7fVa5M

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Feb-24-19 at 23:27.