Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 17:15
msk msk is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 112
 
Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%
Location: Arizona
Default A1c

I got a test result back and the number is a little over 6 (6 is the high side of normal). Now doctor says to cut back on starchy carbs to 15 grams 5 times a day. Any input from anyone.

I am confused as to how all this fits in with the low cortisol, and hypothyroid.

Please help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 07:18
Natrushka Natrushka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,512
 
Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk
I got a test result back and the number is a little over 6 (6 is the high side of normal). Now doctor says to cut back on starchy carbs to 15 grams 5 times a day. Any input from anyone.

I am confused as to how all this fits in with the low cortisol, and hypothyroid.

Please help.



Msk, Hi

A1C is a test that measures the amount of glycosylated hemoglobin in your blood. The test gives a good estimate of how well diabetes is being managed over time. Normally this test is measured as a %. HbA1c is normal if it is 5% or less. Of course normal ranges may vary slightly depending on the lab used. If the HbA1c value is above 7%, it means your diabetes is poorly controlled. High values mean you are at greater risk of diabetic complications. If you can bring your level down, you decrease your chances of long-term complications.

People with hypoT (especially autoimme hypoT) are at greater risk of developing diabetes (as well as PCOS). Low cortisol is also something that can be related to hypoT - often high cortisol preceeds low cortisol in cases of adrenal fatigue, as the hypothalamus controls the adrenal and the release of cortisol just as it controls the pituitary which controls the thyroid. It's all inter-related.

Are you being treated for your adrenals ? If not being treated for thyroid while having fatigued or burned out adrenals could make you feel worse, not better.

HTH
Nat
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 10:15
msk msk is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 112
 
Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%
Location: Arizona
Default

Nat, thanks for the post. The "treatment" for adrenals is the SPII woe, a perscription of folic acid, and supplements. This is what my gyne told me to do. My saliva test came back on the low/normal side for cortisol. I am a little over loaded with information right now. I realize this is all related but not sure what to ask for first. I take cytomel 5mcg one time a day, so I know that is a problem as I feel worse in the midday to night time. I also am on Synthroid 75mcg, efexor 75 mg once a day and estrodail 1 mg once a day.

I wake up daily with a headache for at least 4 weeks. That is not uncommon to wake up with it but it would go away before and now it really doesn't go away. The Tylenol PM really helps with the headach. I tried just the benedry last night but I am not sure it helped as much. I will try it again tonight to give it another try.

I just seem to be spinning from all the info I have read lately. I need to get to work on getting my ducks in a row before Friday.

Thanks very much. Any input is always appreciated.

Marianne
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 12:34
Natrushka Natrushka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,512
 
Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk
Nat, thanks for the post. The "treatment" for adrenals is the SPII woe, a perscription of folic acid, and supplements. This is what my gyne told me to do. My saliva test came back on the low/normal side for cortisol. I am a little over loaded with information right now.


Diet is important when it comes to adrenals, msk. But there are other things that can be done; although most endos and traditional doctors won't treat adrenals, it's not an issue for them. You might inquire about Isocort or Cortef, which is ground up adrenals (Isocort) or actual cortisol (cortef).

Quote:
I realize this is all related but not sure what to ask for first. I take cytomel 5mcg one time a day, so I know that is a problem as I feel worse in the midday to night time. I also am on Synthroid 75mcg, efexor 75 mg once a day and estrodail 1 mg once a day.


Taking cytomel once a day would leave you feeling worse later on. You might try taking half the dose in the morning and the other half 8 hours later. The problem is that T3 is very short lived; it only lasts 8 or so hours. So once you've taken your dose in the a.m. by the afternoon it's all used up. This is why many of us on natural thyroid replacement take our meds in half doses; the natural meds contain T3 and this method helps us avoid the afternoon slumps.

The efexor was probably prescribed because you were moody, anxious, depressed or all of the above. This is typicaly of hypoT; it's all related to low T3. T3 is an actual bona fide neurotransmitter that regulates the action of serotonin, norepinephrine, and GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid), an inhibitory neurotransmitter that is important for quelling anxiety. If you're short on it then you'll feel depressed, moody, anxious, etc. Also, being hypothyroid will deplete your body of serotonin and dopamine - using antidepressants has little effect because you're not treating the actual problem, just a symtom.

Quote:
I wake up daily with a headache for at least 4 weeks. That is not uncommon to wake up with it but it would go away before and now it really doesn't go away. The Tylenol PM really helps with the headach. I tried just the benedry last night but I am not sure it helped as much. I will try it again tonight to give it another try.


Headaches are often a sign of low T4. I know this was the case with me. I would take this as a sign you need more synthroid. When was the last time you had your levels checked? Does your doctor look at your FTs or just your TSH? If he's only looking at your TSH it's possible you're not on the right dose. Once you start treatment TSH becomes meaningless, you need to use your Thyroid hormone levels (FT3 and FT4) to determine treatment. They need to be in the upper 3rd of the lab range if you're a) healthy and b) female

Quote:
I just seem to be spinning from all the info I have read lately. I need to get to work on getting my ducks in a row before Friday.


I appreciated that - it's overwhelming, and being undermedicated isn't helping! I would ask my doc to retest my thyroid levels (FT3 and FT4) and if my numbers were not in the upper 3rd of the range I would demand an increase in meds. Your symptoms alone merit an increase. I would also inquire about Isocort. Saliva testing for cortisol is the gold standard and if that came back low then you're surely low; it's not like serum testing that can be 'iffy'.

If you don't get positive feedback from your doctor you might want to find another. Having the rigth doc is very important. There is a list of TOPDOCs that you might find useful - these Drs have been recommended by other thyroid patients who've been through the wringer like we have.

Quote:
Thanks very much. Any input is always appreciated.


You're welcome, Marianne. If you have any questions, please ask. We're here to help you

Nat
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:26.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.