Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 12:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Listen To Maintainers, Not To Losers

Thought that I'd share today's entry from Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat blog: Listen To Maintainers, Not To Losers

A great post
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Well, that's too bad. According to his "criteria," I don't belong here, giving advice.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 18:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I do agree with his 5 key points for maintenance:
tracking calories
tracking body weight
planning meals
tracking fat
measuring amount of food on plate

By my difference is that I make sure I get plenty of fat & calories. Skimping on fat & calories always led to my downfall in the past. Since I use software & have all my usual foods listed with net carbs in the dictionary, the measuring & tracking takes little extra time.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 06:06
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Interesting article. So what does this mean for us---the maintainers? Well, for one thing it reminds me that I NEED to connect with this area of the forum!!!! So, hey there. Princess Sara officially signing in. I'm not sure which threads I will participate in, but Eno has given me the invitation and this article is registering with me.

I decided to check this thread out because I find that people do not really want to listen to maintainers as much as they want to hear from someone with a "quick fix" idea. They ask, we answer, then someone starts waving a quick weight loss idea and they are off running with the pack. Does anyone else find that happening. We aren't very exciting people, are we? We are the old farts sitting in the rocking chairs giving our viewpoints on life as we know it.

I figure the people trying to lose the weight will understand eventually. At least I hope they will because that means they will eventually lose the weight. And, I sincerely wish success for EVERY obese person. Being fat is a miserable way to live for most of us. Maintaining isn't exciting. It doesn't provide the rush of seeing the scale drop. It means tenacity. It means changing priorities--and committing to the priority of being thin. It means turning a cynical eye at magical thinking---and rationalizations.

I do not share my story for an ego boost. I don't take it personally when they don't respond to what I'm writing or saying. I do, however, have a need to share my experience. It goes back to my 12-step roots. It helps me to give it away. What the listener/reader does with the information isn't my "stuff." I try to make a conscious effort to detach from the response to my words. People who are "inspired" by my story and want to hear about my experience will file the info away and keep moving through their journey.
Thanks for posting this article.
Sara<><
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 09:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
THE TOP 4 STRATEGIES TO BE A SUCCESSFUL MAINTAINER

1. Increase activity, including formal exercise as well as sports, physical work or recreational activity.

2. Include weight training as part of your formal exercise program

3. Track and monitor everything - count and track calories and nutrients, measure your food portion sizes, plan your meals and menus in writing and monitor your body weight.

4. Avoid excuses and maintain positive beliefs and attitudes towards your environment and what you perceive as “barriers” (for example, “I can always make time for what is most important to me” versus, “I don’t have time to exercise,” etc.)

Thanks Demi!!
I actually live near where TV is....maybe I should try to meet with him.

Hmmm....I do need to up my exercise!! What am I going to do today?

Sara...great to see you down here!!

I totally agree with you on my 12 step roots too and giving it away...it does help me to do it also...even if they don't listen outwardly, a part of them hears it as it is a message of health and wellness.

The tracking and monitoring everything part...I'm not very good at this. What I did do was when I was losing my weight, I logged all my food each day for 20 months and literally was teaching myself to eat the way I ate then for life...I still eat the way I ate while I was losing. I am very conscious of how many fruits and starchy carbs I eat each day and I monitor that more than fat...I need to monitor my fats better!!

However...I do weigh daily and make choices on what I will eat that day based on what the scale tells me....and sometimes I can spot a trend and cut it off before it becomes a problem.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 09:56

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

One point I've been curious about:

Newsclips about the National Weight Control Registry report that one other strategy is long-term restriction of food group variety:
Quote:
Refrigerator Raid
Eat the same foods! Variety may be the spice of life, but research indicates that a larger variety of food causes us to eat more. To keep off the weight, limit the variety of food you eat throughout the week instead of giving yourself lots of different meal options.

Do you maintainers find yourself limiting in this way, perhaps as a natural extension of the low-carb weight-loss program you followed? That is, are there types of food (aside from the obvious triggers) that you avoid or restrict still?

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 11:14
Attitude is a Choice

Good question!!

I do eat a fairly large variety of foods being on the SBD...however I did restrict my grain intake while losing and still do. I do not eat the recommended amount of grain each day and never will...it works better for me this way as grain/flour are huge triggers for me.

I do eat a Wasa crispbread here and there and also the Bran crispbreads...good for fiber and the crunch factor.

But I do eat good lean proteins, good fats, lots of veggies and some fruit (2 to be exact )each and every day....and a limited amount of dairy...1-2 ozs of cheese.

I do not eat franken foods ie: low carb tortillas or bars. It is made from flour and not a food that I can play around with.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I do eat a fairly large variety of foods being on the SBD...however I did restrict my grain intake while losing and still do. I do not eat the recommended amount of grain each day and never will...it works better for me this way as grain/flour are huge triggers for me.
I do not eat franken foods ie: low carb tortillas or bars. It is made from flour and not a food that I can play around with.

Thanks, Judy, that's interesting to know. The south beach may be where I'll need to go when I get closer to goal....

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 15:40
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry-24
Thanks, Judy, that's interesting to know. The south beach may be where I'll need to go when I get closer to goal....

Cheers--
Terry-24

FYI..OWL phase II of atkins is very close to the SBD way.....if more people would follow this path and stop looking for quick weight loss staying on Induction..they'd have more long term success.

Gradually increasing your carb intake while you are still losing your weight is what makes it possible to have a varied diet once you hit goal.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 16:54

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
FYI..OWL phase II of atkins is very close to the SBD way.....if more people would follow this path and stop looking for quick weight loss staying on Induction..they'd have more long term success.

Gradually increasing your carb intake while you are still losing your weight is what makes it possible to have a varied diet once you hit goal.

I disagree with the need to have a very limited variety to easily maintain. I personally find it so much easier to maintain if I am always switching up my meals so i dont get bored and go back to eating junk. Though I now eat gluten free so a lot of things I do restrict myself from eating.

I dont count calories, or carbs, and I dont measure my food servings at all either now. It was just a matter for me to learn how to "eyeball" a proper portion instead of just filling up my plate/bowl etc etc...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 21:03

Quote:
FYI..OWL phase II of atkins is very close to the SBD way...

Good point, of course. I am trying (clumsily) to do Induction to goal, so I've never really known what OWL phase II looks like...

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 21:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry-24
Good point, of course. I am trying (clumsily) to do Induction to goal, so I've never really known what OWL phase II looks like...

Cheers--
Terry-24

Then get your Atkins book out and read the chapter on OWL phase II of the plan you are doing.

When I considered atkins and read up on finding your CCL aka critical carb level...it scared the bejeebers out of me.... I said "What? I could never do that!.... too hard and complicated for me. "

So thats when I looked into the SBD and it was no counting....thats why I chose it....mind you, I still do have to keep track of the carbier foods that I eat daily...2-3 fruits....2-3 starches(starchy veggie or grain).....if I go over that, I will see gain...but it taught me what I needed to know for my body, about how much of these types of foods that I can eat in a day.

For those with metabolic issues, finding their CCL is vital for their long term health. For those with a healthy metabolism, albeit old in my case , SBD is just fine for me.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 21:20
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA

I disagree with the need to have a very limited variety to easily maintain. I personally find it so much easier to maintain if I am always switching up my meals so i dont get bored and go back to eating junk. Though I now eat gluten free so a lot of things I do restrict myself from eating.

I dont count calories, or carbs, and I dont measure my food servings at all either now. It was just a matter for me to learn how to "eyeball" a proper portion instead of just filling up my plate/bowl etc etc...

Exactly Luke!!

My fridge is full with many different foods and I like it that way.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 08:44
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Then get your Atkins book out and read the chapter on OWL phase II of the plan you are doing.

When I considered atkins and read up on finding your CCL aka critical carb level...it scared the bejeebers out of me.... I said "What? I could never do that!.... too hard and complicated for me. "

So thats when I looked into the SBD and it was no counting....thats why I chose it....mind you, I still do have to keep track of the carbier foods that I eat daily...2-3 fruits....2-3 starches(starchy veggie or grain).....if I go over that, I will see gain...but it taught me what I needed to know for my body, about how much of these types of foods that I can eat in a day.

For those with metabolic issues, finding their CCL is vital for their long term health. For those with a healthy metabolism, albeit old in my case , SBD is just fine for me.

Phew! I'm glad you said this, Judy. You had me worried there for a minute. Your use of generalizations in the preceding posts regarding grains and fruits--and "higher" low carb bothered me. This post however, made me feel much more comfortable. Thank you for supporting those of us who do have to work daily with a critical carb level. In fact, we DON'T all NEED fruits, starchy veggies, or even certain portions of grains. In fact, for some of us they are counter productive to our health goals. The mindset of the necessity of ALL food groups caused me to have poor diabetes control--and intense frustration/feeling like a failure for many years. Those of us with metabolic disorders receive a lot of flack from people who do not understand our health goals. Fortunately, I can honestly say that I have the support of my primary care physician AND endocrinologist of my WOE. Plus, those people who know me constantly comment on how much healthier I look and act these days.

I wish all South Beachers and CAD/CALP people well. I sincerely applaud your choice of eating plan. I step forward to support your choice of eating plan. I just want to say that there are Bernstein and Very Low Carbers out here that are also doing great.
Sara<><
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 08:57
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar
Thank you for supporting those of us who do have to work daily with a critical carb level.

Your welcome Sara.....sorry I did not put that caveat in earlier.

I'm a huge supporter of those with metabolic challenges, finding and sticking to their food plan, not only for weight control but for their health!!

I see way too many people who are type 2 diabetics, totally ignoring their condition and pigging out on foods that are literally killing them....and in some cases, has killed them.

To me, you are a role model for others to follow in how you handle your food with type 1 diabetes.