Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Lowish carb/PPLP
Stats: 208/150/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Newcastle study on reversing diabetes

Here's another diet-focused plan to reverse diabetes. I was intrigued that the people went back to "normal" eating afterwards (although consuming 1/3rd less than previously) and were still diabetes free after 6 months.
http://ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2016/03...abetesresearch/

Another article on the same study:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...tudy-finds.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 07:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

#3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 255/230/215 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

I read the report on the study this morning. Here is the copy on the diet food plan:

"3 diet shakes per day and 240 grams of non-starchy vegetables taking in between 600 and 700kcal a day for 8 weeks
•volunteers then gradually returned to eating normal food over the next two weeks with very careful instruction on how much to eat"

No too appealing to me, and certainly not "normal" food with 3 shakes per day. If it works, great, but to me it would be torturous.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 06:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe, maybe not. I think this is sort of comparable to a fast, once calories are that low. Most people would burn through so few calories fairly quickly, returning to the fasted state more quickly than they would with a more mild calorie restriction. Just like with fasting, a common occurence with a very low calorie diet as opposed to a milder calorie restriction is a strong decrease in appetite. At that point, pattern of food intake might not even matter--with 200 calories at breakfast, lunch, and supper, people will pretty much have burned through the calories from the last meal before they get to the next meal.

Six months isn't really long enough to be certain that people will be able to stick to the maintenance plan on a long-term basis, though.

One interesting thing here is that the Newcastle diet includes 46 percent carbohydrate in the shakes--so by the time you add what's in the non-starchy vegetables, you're probably looking at about 60 or 70 grams of carbohydrate a day. It would be interesting to see a study with a complete fast, or with the same calories but distributed differently (Turtle replaced most of the carbohydrate with fat, for instance), and what that does to the reversal of liver and pancreas fat. First guess would be that it would accelerate it (yay, team ), but you can't really tell until the experiment is done.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 08:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Remember, low calorie diets like that are also low carb.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 09:15

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I was thinking it almost had to be.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 09:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Remember, low calorie diets like that are also low carb.

And I guess you could argue that since the calories are so restricted, protein is controlled, too--which sort of restrict carbs as well, since it restricts substrate which might be used to make more glucose or spare glucose by providing an alternate energy source. It would be interesting to compare a full-calorie 60 or 70 grams of carbohydrate diet.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 14:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, from my own experimenting keeping protein low-ish is also key to lowering blood sugar.

It may be time for a new experiment soon.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Lowish carb/PPLP
Stats: 208/150/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Many many years ago, Dr. Mike Eades had a plan called Fast so Thin. It was 3 shakes plus a small meal each day (mainly salad as I remember). Many folks lost really well on it but as with most strict diets, many people gained back what they had lost.
The interesting thing to me about the Newcastle plan is most folks kept off the weight. I imagine that is due to on-going support and monitoring.
I read Turtles "experiment" and he apparently went lower carb, and a sort of IF plan, which I think should have been better but apparently wasn't as he couldn't stay with it.
I know I'm probably the odd man out on this forum, but to me 60 - 70 grams of whole carb is low carb. That would equate to about 40 - 50 ECC. Definitely not ketogenic, but still low carb.

At any rate, it appears that a combination of restricting calories, carbs and combined with fasting is one of the keys to effectively manage insulin resistance.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 06:34

Study published in Science Daily: You can reverse diabetes and stay diabetes-free long term.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...0322080542.htm?

Another article linked within DietDoctor post: http://www.dietdoctor.com/reverse-d...-free-long-term
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 16:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One of the benefits I receive from this forum are the many excellent links provided by the posters. For example, as I clicked on the links provided by Janet regarding the Newcastle study, I ultimately went to the one on dietdoctor.com. Since I hadn't visited the site in a few weeks due to some hectic work activities, I got sidetracked for quite a while with the new videos posted. The LDL video with Dr. Hallberg is an excellent presentation and the one with Dr. Chatterjee is equally valuable. Andreas and his team have really put a lot of care into their site with HD quality videos and very professionally recorded sessions with the most current experts in the field. So, what should have been a 5-minute read ended up with me spending a couple hours branching out from the original link. This happens quite a bit to me on this forum, and it's testimony to the quality, drive, and commitment of the posters to the topic. Ok, I better get to my yard work, daylight is fading!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 05:19

Thanks, the DietDoctor website has become so helpful it is on my home screen now. In addition to being in my LC news feed, I know I will want to read his daily news directly on the site.

I was wondering about adding Dr Hallberg's new talk on Cholesterol to that forum ...it was interesting to me, I perked up at that Insulin Sensitive comment , but thought it might be a bit confusing. Think I am becoming cynical about any lipid tests now...does the NMR tell us all that much since it can be manipulated with short term diet? And why not just do a CAC instead?

Rob, I thought of you yesterday. Both these posts: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...741&postcount=8. And. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...42&postcount=10
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 12:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, saw both of those, and the DC press conference by the Nutrition Coalition is during my work day unfortunately. I'm going to try and connect to the live webcast instead.

I've been in touch with Melanie, and I'll book her dinner with Dr. Westman on May 21. Saturdays are much easier for me! It's a little over an hour away from me, so that's not bad.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 11:23

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...d=fb-share&_r=0

Hope for Reversing Type 2 Diabetes, focuses on Taylor's small trial.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 173.6/157/145 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

That was a good article about it