Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 11:45

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default When can I expect die off to start?

Is there a certain time frame when die off should start? I self diagnosed myself so I don't even know if I definitely have candida. I just suffer from so many of the symptoms that I feel that it's a very strong possibility. I've only been on the diet for a week now but, other than nausea and diarrhea; that I believe was caused by the coconut oil, I haven't experienced any die off. I know everybody's different but is there a certain time vicinity? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Unfortunately it's difficult to say when your die-off effects will start as everyone is different. Also, going the natural route to kill of Candida takes a lot longer than using antifungals, so the die-off might be delayed in those going the natural route. Some people say they feel die-off symptoms within a week of starting the Candida diet. Personally I believe what they are experiencing is just their bodies adjusting to having a lower level of carbs and sugars as a source of fuel to run off of. Their bodies are adjusting to running off protein as it's primary fuel source.

So, to answer your question, there really is no specific answer. It depends on a lot of factors, such as do you even have Candida at all, if so how bad is it, is it systemic or local, what is your general health level, etc....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

In my case, the die-off occurred about 3 days after starting GSE and it was pretty severe even on the minimum dose of only 4 drops of GSE per glass of water taken twice a day.

I was exhausted and felt like something was seriously wrong with my muscles and they were not getting enough oxygen. I also had headaches and after a few weeks, my sinuses all drained for about 2 weeks and I was literally choking on all the mucus from that.

Having said that, I was pretty sure by that point I did have candida and the die-off thing confirmed it, which is why I went to seek a qualified doctor's opinion at that point.

IN my case, the die-off was more likely due to the GSE since I began the actual diet the week before and had only very mild symptoms of switching to low carb. The real serious symptoms occurred after the GSE. My doctor later incraesed the dose to 20 drops per glass of water, and when he did that, again, major symptoms of die off, mainly with muscles and nerves affected.

I think the thing is, the candida diet won't hurt you, Tom, and may be beneficial in any case. However, I think getting an accurate diagnosis would be really good since, as KT12 said, it's hard to know for sure if you even have candida or maybe another similar or related problem. What I mean is, you don't want to try treating candida if you have something else instead, and you wouldn't want to start antifungals unless you had a pretty good idea of what it was you were treating.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 15:07

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to make another appointment with my gastroenterologist after the holidays and I'm going to stick with the diet. I just started roasting my pumpkin seeds and walnuts and now I'm hooked.

Also, is there a difference between grape seed extract and grape seed oil? Is one better than the other?

Last edited by Tom873 : Tue, Dec-15-09 at 19:47.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-16-09, 18:15

BF:
Progress:

Duh. I just realized you meant grape fruit seed extract, not grape seed oil.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 12:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

HI Tom

Yeah sorry . . . I should have specified. Grapefruit Seed Extract = GSE. It's antimicrobial and antifungal. Very powerful stuff, which some say is the equivalent of Nystatin (although, again, I don't know personally because I haven't been on nystatin, although I have had a very powerful reaction to GSE).

Good idea to see a gastro after the hols, and see how you go. If your problems are mainly stomach and esophagal rather than systemic, you might be more easily diagnosed like KT12 was with an endoscopy.

Glad you like the roasted pumpkin seeds, although be a little careful with walnuts specifically, only because they tend to have a high mold content. Eat them in moderation or avoid them and substitute with almonds, pecans, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and brazil nuts.

Most of these things you can get used to and you'll find some you even like as much as some of the "off-diet" foods you enjoyed previously.

One of my favourites is sweet potatos sliced up with medium chillis in red and green (very festive for Xmas) and covered in olive oil and baked. Also it's very anti-candida because of the chillis. You can also make it with butternut squash.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted on how it all goes!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 12:22

BF:
Progress:

Annajen, what dosage of grapefruit seed extract do you take?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey Tom,

I found this info online regarding GSE...Maybe just taking the recommended dosage on the label is good enough...I'm not sure though cause i've never taken GSE before.

Quote:

Grape seed extract is a very potent anti fungal that can help kill Candida, says Dr. Metzger. Because it's so potent, she cautions women not to use more than is recommended on the label. Continue treatment with capsules for 3 to 6 months she advises... [Additionally,] take 500 milligrams three or four times a day for 4 to 6 weeks...Eat highly colored foods such as...peppers...leafy vegetables; and a variety of squashes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 20:07

BF:
Progress:

Thanks KT12. Unfortunately, when I went to the store today I was told that they did not carry it so I'll probably wind up buying it online. Do you know if the oil is better than the capsules?

Last edited by Tom873 : Thu, Dec-17-09 at 20:45.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 22:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Thanks KT12. Unfortunately, when I went to the store today I was told that they did not carry it so I'll probably wind up buying it online. Do you know if the oil is better than the capsules?

I have no idea as I've never taken GSE before. I would assume it's just a personal preference though. I'm sure both of them are sufficient in the fight against Candida. If it were me though, I would try and get the capsule. They seem like they would be easier to take instead of the oil, and i'm all about doing the easiest thing possible.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 09:25

BF:
Progress:

Is a face rash a sign of candida die off? My face has been so itchy lately.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 06:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Annajen, what dosage of grapefruit seed extract do you take?

Hi Tom . . . Sorry for the late reply. Just got back and then snow and then kids home and . . . you can't imagine!

Anyway, Citricidal (the brand name) says 4 drops to start and that was good advice because I then had bad die off just with that. Then it says you can work up to 20 drops.

MAKE SURE YOU DILUTE IT IN A GLASS OF WATER!!!! Never take it undiluted.

My practitioner said I should be on 20 drops per glass two times per day (I asked him if he was sure because the bottle says only up to 12). He said he was sure.

I would make sure you check with your own doctor first, but the die-off was strong when I increased the dose, so make sure you start for several days on the lowest dose before increasing.

As for your face rash/itchiness question, yes, rashes are part of the die-off according to my book. I had little red bumps appear and then fade, sometimes individually rather than a proper rash. My skin was itchy then too. The good news is, I saw the practitioner yesterday and he says mine is "under control" now from his tests (and I could tell this from my energy levels and general symptoms) but I will still have to stay on the diet and treatment awhile longer.

BTW, if you buy anything online, make sure it says "Citricidal" on it, since that is the most common and best known brand. It is not an oil, it is a concentrated liquid. It really works, but buy it from a reputable online supplier if you decide to do that. Also, if you find a practitioner in your area, they will either supply you with treatment medicines or else know where you can get them.

Anyway, does that help?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 09:50

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply, Annajen. It's good to hear from you again. I have actually been taking GSE now for over a month and it does contain Citricidal. I've been taking 15 drops for weeks now and, just today, started 20.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 05:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Glad it's working! Sorry I was away . . . travelling over Xmas, bad weather in January, kids' schools closed . . you can only imagine.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 11:03

BF:
Progress:

Unfortunately, due to my esophageal ulcers, I'm going to have to discontinue the GSE. Do you think that, besides the diet of course, extra virgin coconut oil will be enough to kill the candida?